Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape 2015 advice

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am hoping to complete the 2015 Etape du Tour. I am looking for advice on training and preparation from anyone who has previously taken part. At the moment I am cycling 25/30km twice during the week and 60/80km once at the weekend. My usual route is reasonably flat, I will be adding climbs and distance but need some sort of benchmark to work towards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The Etape is similar to the Marmotte
    You'll get some good training tips here: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2057044244

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

What part of the country are you in? A few spins down around the Cork/Kerry border in the spring are worth doing, or Wicklow if you're further north. Nothing here can really prepare you for the climbs but it helps. And you've a decent base plan, that's more than I'd be doing until late spring.
    I've done 2 and found this years preparation better. I did a few tough spins easter week and did the tour de cure in Midleton in May and the ring of Kerry the week before we went to France. I also went with trailseekers so had 3 tough days in the Pyrenees done before the Etape.
    I also do spinning in the winter which I find good for the climbing, I did double classes this spring which were good, 1 1/2 hours constant pedaling so helps in the mountains. I also lost a stone weight since Christmas which helped big time!
    It also depends a lot on where they'll send you in 2015, probably back to the alps. The hardest part of this years race was the weather, the cold and wet was hard on the head more than the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DS2013

I am based in Dublin so the Dublin and Wicklow mountains will be the main training ground. I am planning to enter some sportives next year as part of my training. Regarding spinning, I try to go to a class at least every second week at the moment, this will increase over the winter as I will probably get out on the road a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

I did the Etape last year. I only really started training in Jan. I did a good bit of turbo training Jan-Mar, with some longish weekend spins (75-90k). When weather started to improve I started commuting a few times a week (35k each way) and upped the weekend spins to 100-120k. Wicklow was my main training ground. You'll need to add hills hills and more hills as the time goes on.
    Did a few sportives along the way too - I'd recommend doing the WW200, this will give you a good indication if your training is going to plan.

When the day came around I was happy that I'd done enough training - but I don't think I would have finished if I'd done less.

The Etape experience was fantastic, one I'll never forget. You're putting ideas in my head for 2015! Do you know where it will be? Route is not on website yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

From what you have said, you will be looking to get used to riding longer distances, which you can obviously do here in Ireland. What we don't have here are long climbs or heat, both of which you are likely to face in the Etape. You might also need to deal with cold and wet descents if you have bad luck with the weather (which happened this year), and I suppose you can train for that in Ireland, though descents will be shorter. The thing which I always find difficult in any long rides is eating, so you;d also want to think about that and get used to eating and hydrating properly before, during and after your event. For training roads, I would pick the steepest and longest climbs possible, but maybe after you've first got used to spending longer periods on the bike. From the Dublin area, the best climbs would be any of the roads up the Sally Gap and continuing on to the Kippure mast, and also the wicklow gap and on up to turlough hill-these roads offer long (by Irish standards) climbs, and can be steep in parts.

• Advertisement

Loinnsigh, I understand it will be the Alps this year but they won't give the course details out until September or October.

Koobcam, thanks for the advice on routes to train on. I read an account of this year's event and understand the decents in the weather were very difficult. I will start to think about eating before, during and after the event. What sort of food did you bring on the ride and do the organisers supply enough food?

Food wise, I make my own breakfast bars from this odlums recipe, with a lot of added fruits and nuts. Great for slow energy release. Then just snack at the food stops, I found the tuc crackers and the French Cola good this year, there was some kick off the cola :) Fruit too, usual bananas and oranges. Then just a couple of gels for the climbs. They'd cakes and cheeses available too, I think they make an effort to use local produce so some will depend on the locality.
    If I really put my mind to it I could have kept going without stopping at the food stops as the weather wasn't hot enough to burn too much energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

My suggestions would be to make sure you do the Wicklow 200 - if you finish it in ~8 hours without undue stress, you're on the right track.

Also, go with a group/set-up that gives you the opportunity of at least 3 or 4 days riding in the Etape region before the event. This is IMHO crucial for getting mentally prepared.

DS2013 wrote: »
    Loinnsigh, I understand it will be the Alps this year but they won't give the course details out until September or October.

Koobcam, thanks for the advice on routes to train on. I read an account of this year's event and understand the decents in the weather were very difficult. I will start to think about eating before, during and after the event. What sort of food did you bring on the ride and do the organisers supply enough food?

All sportives will have some sort of food stop, maybe several. However, if you are not among the fastest (and, unless you are at A1/ex pro level you most certainly won't be amongst the leaders at the Etape), you will end up spending lots of time queueing. Best to bring food with you-my rule of thumb is basically to bring either enough to get me through the whole ride or at least have money to buy food on the way. I find fig rolls and bananas suit me best-soft and easy to keep down, but everyone will have their own favourites. Wicklow 200 is a good case in point-unless you are off super early and can do a 29-30kph pace, I wouldn't bother with the food stops as you will just waste loads of time waiting around. Nothing wrong with the food at the stop, just the waiting is the issue. My biggest problem with food is actually eating it, I find it hard to generate an appetite while I'm actually cycling (horsing down a fridge load of food afterwards is no problem though). So, you should practice this-actually eating on the bike. If you don't eat on the Etape, you will definitely get a hunger knock and probably not finish.

One tactic we used this year which helped was we skipped the first food stop at the 30km mark and only stopped at the bottom of the tourmalet about 60k or so in. That gained time on the next wave(s) and set me up nicely for the climb. It really depends on the terrain and course as well, unless you hadn't eaten you wouldn't really need to stop after an hour anyway.
    The only really busy food stop was the last one at the bottom of the Hautacam in this years one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I will practice eating on the bike as I lengthen the distance that I am covering. Regarding the Wicklow 200 I will add it to my plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Curnode

Etape entry opens on Thursday .
    Tough day's climbing this year with three majot climbs to contend with. The Glandon is the longest and the toughest. There is a three KM stetch at the top which is cruel - approx 9% .
    Only advice I have after doing the Etape in 2014 is DO HILLS, HILLS and MORE HILLS - one can't appreciate the climbs in the Alps - they go on forever . I would expect that the Glandon alone will take me two hours to climb .....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Haven't done the etape but have done the marmotte, same thing basically. Glandon is deceptive as the numbers mask two downhill sections. Once of them is a fairly long, so the climb itslef is harder than it looks on paper. It is 25+kms as well, so yes somewhere in the region of 2 hours would be about right.

Try to get into a club for the winter, heading out on your own for 3+ hours is tough and going with a group can help on those days when motivation is lacking. It also gets you used to riding in a group which with 10k+ on the Etape menas that you'll likely always have people around you.

It really is all about climbing. Get as many hills as you can. And the longer the better. If Howth is all you can get to then so be it, but there is a big difference is climbing a short hill and then repeating after a downhill to having to continually climb for 60 minutes. I find that the climb up Killakee/Featherbeds/SG and up to Kippure mast is the best 'local' one. There is a downhill section in it but in effect it is +60 minutes of continuos effort. Repeat this as many times as you can in a day.

Also try to get as many sportive events done as possible. This covers a number of aspects. Time in the saddle, trying out your eating/drinking plans and having cyclists around you. Orwell Randonee, Mick Byrne, Evil 200, W200, and the 3 Peaks challenge are all good ones. There is a good one run by SERC at the start of April which I find useful in gauging where I am after the winter and 1st few months of harder training. If you can handle this well enough then endurance will not be such an issue and give you plenty to work on. Same with the others. They also give you something to focus on to breakdown your training into more specific targets rather than just waiting for the event itself.

The best piece of advice is to start now. Don't wait until January. You don't have to be doing intervals or anything crazy, but get used to time on the bike. Get your family/friends involved. Let them know what you are doing. You're not just heading out for a cycle anymore, you're going training. I find this makes a big difference. Look at your diet. Are there improvements you can make to start dropping some weight. Don't go for anything fancy, just cut out the crap as much as possible. Semi-skimmed instead of full milk, fruit instead of biscuits, limit the beer. Don't let weather (unless dangerous) get in the way. You can't train for 9 months, travel to France and then back out casue its raining!

At the end of the day, remember that this is just a cycle, it's not the end of the world. Enjoy it. Enjoy training for it. There will be times when it becomes a chore, when you don't seem to be losing weight/gaining performance. Days when the weather has been sh1t for 4 weeks straight. Days when you question the whole piont of it all. Work will get in the way. The kids will get sick, your friends will ask why they never see you. So make time so that. I can assure you it is all worth it when you cross that finish line.

GREAT POST !!
    I couldn't disagree with any of it .

One thing I'd add to Leroy42's post is descending. You're going to be doing 20-30 km stretches of downhill at high speed surrounded by lots of other people, some of whom descend better than others. You'll also be pretty tired on the descents, so you need to really be careful not to lose concentration. Great suggestion about the climb to Kippure-you could also try it from Enniskerry as that's I think all uphill more-or-less, though not as hard maybe as the climb from Stcoking Lane.

I think the etape route this year is really tough. Three very long and hard climbs. I drove up the Glandon in 2013 and it was hard enough in a car, some very steep sections, particularly towards the top. The good thing though about the route is that it's sort of based around Saint Jean Du Marienne, which means you are also very close to places like Alpe D'Huez, Les Deux Alpes etc, so you could spend a few days there and do some exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Curnode wrote: »
    Etape entry opens on Thursday .
    Tough day's climbing this year with three majot climbs to contend with. The Glandon is the longest and the toughest. There is a three KM stetch at the top which is cruel - approx 9% .
    Only advice I have after doing the Etape in 2014 is DO HILLS, HILLS and MORE HILLS - one can't appreciate the climbs in the Alps - they go on forever . I would expect that the Glandon alone will take me two hours to climb .....

Hey Curnode, how does the entry process work? Does the event sell out quickly so if you are considering doing it you better act fast?

If you travel with a company i.e. onyourbike, do they also take care of the registration process or just getting you there and accomdation?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Hoping to do this next year as well (fingers crossed on getting an entry). Have started doing a little bit more than just the regular commute (25k). Adding some extra k's on the way home when work allows. Get out most weekends for a longer spin but time is an issue and sometimes its just a quick 50 rather than 3 hrs +. Will start including a spin session when I can from now on.

I had spotted that climb Dublin up to Kippure and was going to use it as a training/testing run. Hope to get it in a couple of times before Christmas (living on the northside so its a 30k round trip to the start of that climb. Have also got family living south of Munich so going to get over there in May to get a day or two in the alps to get a better appreciation of the longer climbs.

Did the WW200 last year and get the pacing a little wrong as went a bit too hard on the flattish section from Baltinglass to the climbs so suffered alot. Went back and did it again during the summer and found it a lot better.

Started watching the diet as well cutting out some but not all of the crap hoping to get to down to about 80 kgs before the event, currently 88.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

del_boy13 wrote: »

I had spotted that climb Dublin up to Kippure and was going to use it as a training/testing run.

I think if your going up to Kippure the use the route from Bohernabreena up the the Feather beds then onto Kippure. In my view its the best route we have as its pretty hard and long. The climb is about 5% average for about 7 km instead of stocking lane which is harder but shorter, 9% for 3.5 km.

Try Kippure on a windy and rainy day. It feels like you've climbed about 10km instead of just 3km.

bazermc wrote: »
    Hey Curnode, how does the entry process work? Does the event sell out quickly so if you are considering doing it you better act fast?

If you travel with a company i.e. onyourbike, do they also take care of the registration process or just getting you there and accomdation?
    It can sell out relatively quick, depends on the route really. Some sell out in the day.

It's as good to register yourself anyway as its normally about €75 to register online vs ~€200 going through a travel agent.

It can sell out relatively quick, depends on the route really. Some sell out in the day.

It's as good to register yourself anyway as its normally about €75 to register online vs ~€200 going through a travel agent.

It is nearly sold out - It's €100.00 this year versus €75.00 last year.
    Last year I only started looking for an entry in February and I had to buy it through an agency (Ronen Pensac travel) as all entries were sold out via ASO challenges - and it cost me €220 , so if you are intending doing it you need to book quickly !!

• Advertisement

Well Folks , Christmas has come and gone, so now the serious training plans must start to kick in ..........

Can you please advise of good upcoming sportives for Feb , March and April. These will be essential as interim targets to aim at with a view to developing the stamina and fitness levels required for later in the year.

Advertisement