Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax

Options
  • 10-10-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Well what do you think of this situation. I had a credit card a/c with Halifax and as Halifax pulled out of Ireland, i had to close my a/c.
    I paid off the balance and received a letter saying my a/c is closed. I then recieved a statment the following month for €15 plus interest of about €2. This was for the credit card protection annual fee. I paid that but go the interest wiped off. At this point I was told my a/c is closed.

Last month, i received a statemement for 2cents!!! I was so annoyed, i stuck two 1cent coins to the letter and sent it back telling them i closed my a/c.
    Last week I received a letter back and my 2cents saying they dont accept cash transactions and to pay by an alternative method!!!

Has anybody any ideas on how to respond to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

wclarke20 wrote: »
    Well what do you think of this situation. I had a credit card a/c with Halifax and as Halifax pulled out of Ireland, i had to close my a/c.
    I paid off the balance and received a letter saying my a/c is closed. I then recieved a statment the following month for €15 plus interest of about €2. This was for the credit card protection annual fee. I paid that but go the interest wiped off. At this point I was told my a/c is closed.

Last month, i received a statemement for 2cents!!! I was so annoyed, i stuck two 1cent coins to the letter and sent it back telling them i closed my a/c.
    Last week I received a letter back and my 2cents saying they dont accept cash transactions and to pay by an alternative method!!!

Has anybody any ideas on how to respond to this?

If this was a utility account or similar I would advise you to ignore it but when dealing with a financial institution that files credit reports with the ICB if I were you I would ensure the account is closed properly. I think there is no chance of you being prosecuted but there is a chance that you might be in risk of a technical write-off. If a human being with appropriate authority assessed the situation they would obviously just close the a/c but a computer clearance routine might eventually automatically write-off "bad debt" that is below a certain threshold and file accordingly with the ICB. The result may mean a dent in your credit history. I recently requested a report from the ICB and found anomalies with my Halifax CC account where the account was not properly marked as closed and they also accidentally issued a second card to me and failed to close that off also (they did close the a/c after I called them but they never notified the ICB).

In terms of issuing the 2c to them, did you ever get the bank a/c no for your cc account? If so you could just do an electronic transfer to that account which should cost you no more than 2c.

I think I used to pay them with this a/c with your cc number as the reference 990401 / 10012742. This might also work for you, presume this would still be active despite the branches closing.

Finally I advise you to think twice about credit card protection in the future unless you have thought about it and are happy with what (if anything) it offers.

Advertisement