Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you close applications?

Options
  • 26-05-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

just got my new HTC Desire. Just wondering, how do I close an application when I am finished with it? They still seem to be running in the backgroud. An example is the default internet browser.

I have the advanced task killer app but I presume there is an easier way to do it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The way android wants you to do it is to just leave things running and the OS will close applications if it needs more memory.

I would only use ATK if you notice the phone running slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Android closes the application itself when it decides it isn't being used anymore

Heres the link I was looking for
    http://www.androidspin.com/2010/05/25/why-you-dont-need-a-task-killer-app-with-android/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sounds pretty good. Does it not use up more battery by having them open?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Battery life is not affected because the "open" apps are actually paused, & given little, if any, CPU time. I tried ATK but since un-installed it cos You find that apps or tasks that you keep going back to are taking slightly longer to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

All sounds good. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a task killer with a widget that acts like a button that closes all open apps - you can disclude apps if you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As an Android developer I would reccomend you dont use any of the Task killers on Android.

They break the Android application lifecycle.

And as such can lead to odd behaviour, such as the slow opening of previously killed apps but in more extreme cases they could cause corruption of data.

activity_lifecycle_vertical.png

As per the image Android decides when to kill an App and if Android hasn't killed it then it should be possible for it to return to any of the other states

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Some apps like fot mob don't close with the back button and use a fair bit of data in background and therefore battery so I use ATK myself.
    Just be careful when using it that nothing is writing to the SD card like a photo you just took or whatever.
    It'd be much better if developers were forced to make certain apps close with the back button as we have the home button if we wanna multi task.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Some apps like fot mob don't close with the back button and use a fair bit of data in background and therefore battery so I use ATK myself.
    Just be careful when using it that nothing is writing to the SD card like a photo you just took or whatever.
    It'd be much better if developers were forced to make certain apps close with the back button as we have the home button if we wanna multi task.

Unfortunately that is true, there are some badly developed apps out there.

From 2.1 on you can use the System to kill hungry apps from the settings though and this is what you should use instead of a task killer

My Maps was using 75%+ of power even though I haven't used them since Saturday and charged it a few times since. Seemed strange, don't think the ATK killed it properly.

I decided to reboot and the phone just stayed on shutting down screen for ages, over half an hour before I took the battery out.

I'd say this is related to ATK as I rebooted and shut down without using ATK and it shut down straight away.

Pretty annoying the way you can't close things properly, I don't mind leaving apps open but not if they're using too much data in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My Maps was using 75%+ of power even though I haven't used them since Saturday and charged it a few times since. Seemed strange, don't think the ATK killed it properly.

I decided to reboot and the phone just stayed on shutting down screen for ages, over half an hour before I took the battery out.

I'd say this is related to ATK as I rebooted and shut down without using ATK and it shut down straight away.

Pretty annoying the way you can't close things properly, I don't mind leaving apps open but not if they're using too much data in the background.
    If youre on a phone with 2.1 go to Settings>Applications>Running Services
    You can see here what services are running in the background,how long they're been running and you can kill them too.

If youre on a phone with 2.1 go to Settings>Applications>Running Services
    You can see here what services are running in the background,how long they're been running and you can kill them too.
    Only problem was there was no option to kill maps when I tried that.
    Have been using My Tracks also so don't know if this had somethin to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have been using My Tracks also so don't know if this had somethin to do with it.
    Almost certainly. It uses the google maps app as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I just use the back button and periodically i'll go into running services and kill an app i don't need if it's running. I've noticed Amazon MP3 app occasionally appears running despite never actually using it?!

lord lucan wrote: »
    I just use the back button and periodically i'll go into running services and kill an app i don't need if it's running. I've noticed Amazon MP3 app occasionally appears running despite never actually using it?!

Likely to be a background service, Android lets these run for much longer than Activities before killing them, the Amazon app can start the service on start up and keep it running, there should be an option in the app to turn it off to save battery, if not its bad design.

Best to uninstall the app if you dont use it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

draffodx wrote: »
    Best to uninstall the app if you dont use it anyway :D

That's what i done.;)

I noticed a Twitter app appeared on my Nexus after i updated to 2.2 as well,another one for the bin. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to uninstallable!

Edit: I thought i'd uninstalled the Amazon app but like the Twitter app it doesn't seem to be possible to uninstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

lord lucan wrote: »
    That's what i done.;)

I noticed a Twitter app appeared on my Nexus after i updated to 2.2 as well,another one for the bin. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to uninstallable!

Edit: I thought i'd uninstalled the Amazon app but like the Twitter app it doesn't seem to be possible to uninstall.

Same on my Nexus one, the damn thing restarts itself also which is rather annoying!:mad:

Advertisement