Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would I go about sourcing a publisher?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi at some point I'd like to write my memoires. I've always kept a diary and think I've a good story. I'm not ready to seek publication now, but in a few years I expect to be. How would I go about finding a publisher? I know there's self publication, or amazon e-books, but I assume it's very hard to find a publisher who will cover your costs? are the odds very slim?. Any advice appreciated, thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It really depends on your memoirs. If you've lived an amazing life and there are thousands of people who want to know about it, and you have the knack of getting readers to turn the page, you'll find it easy to get a publisher.

A good place to look for suitable publisher is in the memoir section of your local bookshop. See which publishers are publishing them. Then check their websites and follow their instructions.

Any recommendations we make now may be defunct by the time you have actually written the book, edited, rewritten, beta read, re-edited and polished your story.

By the way, you have to do exactly the same if you are self-publishing, except that you also have to hire an editor to make sure your story is error free.

There is no cost in traditional publishing. Self-publishing will involve the cost of an editor and a cover artist, and possibly someone to help with technical stuff, but you get to keep a higher proportion of sales. But without distribution, you won't get the print books into bookshops, so concentrate on e-books.

Advertisement