Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best account for earning interest

Options
  • 06-10-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Had a nice windfall to the tune of 35k and would like to find a savings account that will earn some money on it for me.

I have heard it is not too difficult to set up swiss bank accounts, would these pay greater interest than your standard savings accounts here?

I know Irish banks only have their guarantee until the end of this year.

any info would be really great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Swiss bank accounts will pay less interest typically. Safe perhaps, but you'll earn more by leaving your money on deposit in Ireland and the tax treatment will be simpler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭eagle_i

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I know Irish banks only have their guarantee until the end of this year.

any info would be really great.

The blanket guarantee was extended to the end of the year, however, prior to the introduction of the blanket guarantee, there already was a guarantee on deposits up to €100k per institution. At the end of the year assuming the government does not extend the blanket guarantee further, the guarantee system will return to the €100k system. This compares favourably to say the UK were their guarantee is only stg£50k. So with €35k I think you fall well within the €100k limit!

BTW, the Irish Times usually give a listing of the deposit rates on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

EBS 3.5% APR on a 9 month deposit. Anglo 3.5% on a 12 month deposit. PTSB 3.35% on a 12 month deposit, interest paid at the beginning of term though! Just to note your money is as safe with Anglo as it is with any bank as it is covered under the guarantee scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

does anyone know if Rabo will be offering any attractive savings interest rates in the near future??

• Advertisement
Advertisement