Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday entitlements for summer staff?

Options
  • 12-07-2014 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi can someone tell me what holidays I'm entitled to? I'm summer staff, I notice that other summer staff in the shop I work in are taking a weeks holiday, is this paid or unpaid? I work for 10 weeks of the summer, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, so working a total of 40 hours. Can someone please help? Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

melizza96 wrote: »
    Hi can someone tell me what holidays I'm entitled to? I'm summer staff, I notice that other summer staff in the shop I work in are taking a weeks holiday, is this paid or unpaid? I work for 10 weeks of the summer, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, so working a total of 40 hours. Can someone please help? Thanks a million!

You are entitled to 1 and 2/3 days paid holiday for each month that you work.so at the end of the 10 weeks you will be entitled to approx. 1.66 x 2.5 days holidays.
    This is only at the end of the ten weeks though.
    Right now if you want holidays you will be entitled to 8% of all the hours you have accumulated so far.
    Also, while you are entitled to paid holidays, when they are taken must be negotiated with your employer.
    In other words, if you say to the boss"I want next Friday and the following Monday off cos I'm going to Spain for the weekend" he/she is entitled to refuse you if that doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You have been employed specifically so they can give the regular staff a summer holiday - I doubt they'll be entertaining holiday requests from you.

Most likely you will get paid out 8% of what you earned when you leave.

That said - what does your contract say?

Advertisement