Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new convert!

Options
  • 03-09-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am just on the verge of switching from iPhone to Android and am thinking that the S3 will be my choice...a few questions\concerns that hopefully some of you will be able to help me out with

1. I own a MacBook Pro - what is the compatability with Android phones and the Mac OS? I have read on the net that its fine, and then on another site that it used to be fine, but now its awkward. Does anyone using an S3 have a Mac at home as their main machine?
    2. My wife has the iPhone 4 so I would be losing the iMessage (free texts) and Facetime feature - is there anyone here of who communicates regularly with an iPhone user who might be able to give me some tips on alternatives?
    3. If I was to expand the memory via the micro SD slot and put musics\movies on the card, does the phone automatically pick them up or would I need to click on a memory card icon (or whatever way it shows) to access this content? i.e. is it seamless in terms of accessing the content whether it is on the onboard memory or the expandable?
    4. Finally, I am crazy going for this phone so close to the release of the new iPhone....who knows what will be in it. I've heard though that spec wise, it'll be hard to match the S3 as it currently stands. I'd say thats probably true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hi all,

I am just on the verge of switching from iPhone to Android and am thinking that the S3 will be my choice...a few questions\concerns that hopefully some of you will be able to help me out with

1. I own a MacBook Pro - what is the compatability with Android phones and the Mac OS? I have read on the net that its fine, and then on another site that it used to be fine, but now its awkward. Does anyone using an S3 have a Mac at home as their main machine?
    2. My wife has the iPhone 4 so I would be losing the iMessage (free texts) and Facetime feature - is there anyone here of who communicates regularly with an iPhone user who might be able to give me some tips on alternatives?
    3. If I was to expand the memory via the micro SD slot and put musics\movies on the card, does the phone automatically pick them up or would I need to click on a memory card icon (or whatever way it shows) to access this content? i.e. is it seamless in terms of accessing the content whether it is on the onboard memory or the expandable?
    4. Finally, I am crazy going for this phone so close to the release of the new iPhone....who knows what will be in it. I've heard though that spec wise, it'll be hard to match the S3 as it currently stands. I'd say thats probably true

Hi,

I made the move from iPhone to S3 at the start of the summer, so I'll give you my opinions....

I own a MacBook Pro - what is the compatability with Android phones and the Mac OS? I have read on the net that its fine, and then on another site that it used to be fine, but now its awkward. Does anyone using an S3 have a Mac at home as their main machine?

I have a Mac at home and a PC at work. I find that the S3 works better with the PC. I had an issue getting the S3 and the Mac to talk to each other, even using a Mac App called Android File Transfer didn't really work for me. I found that the best way to use the Mac is if you have files on it that you want to transfer, stick them on a MicroSD card and stick that in the phone. Works very well for moving music and pictures.

[*]My wife has the iPhone 4 so I would be losing the iMessage (free texts) and Facetime feature - is there anyone here of who communicates regularly with an iPhone user who might be able to give me some tips on alternatives?

My wife still has an iPhone 4 as well (although she's thinking of changing to Android!) and it works fine. You can use Whatsapp Messenger to send free texts and media messages to her, as long as she has Whatsapp on her iPhone. It's a great little app, well worth checking out. Instead of Facetime, get her to install the VTOK app, and then video call her through Google Talk. Again, this works well. Or even try Skype.

[*]If I was to expand the memory via the micro SD slot and put musics\movies on the card, does the phone automatically pick them up or would I need to click on a memory card icon (or whatever way it shows) to access this content? i.e. is it seamless in terms of accessing the content whether it is on the onboard memory or the expandable?

Depends on which music player app you decide to use, but I've tried a few different ones and they all seem to pick it up seamlessly even if the music is on the SD card. You don't have to direct the app to the card every time.

[*]Finally, I am crazy going for this phone so close to the release of the new iPhone....who knows what will be in it. I've heard though that spec wise, it'll be hard to match the S3 as it currently stands. I'd say thats probably true

That's a tricky one to answer, and opinions will vary. I left the iPhone behind after seeing the previews of iOS 6 earlier in the summer, and the main reason I left was because Apple don't seem keen on updating how the OS looks. I simply was getting bored with it. SO in terms of the OS, although Android took a little getting used to and I was playing around with it to get it how I liked, I think it's just far fresher looking than iOS.

In terms of hardware, it's anyones guess. The current iPhone and S3 have similar cameras, so maybe the iPhone 5 will trump that in terms of megapixels, but the one in the S3 is very very good in my experience, so a technical victory for Apple might not translate into any realistic difference to the man on the street.

The biggest difference in hardware is the screen size. Believe me, whatever niggle you might have about the S3 being too big will soon disappear. I really like the bigger screen, and when I pick up my wifes iPhone now, it seems like a toy. Can't see myself being able to go back to such a small screen, and even though the iPhone 5 is rumoured to have a bigger screen, the rumours are that it will still be significantly smaller than the S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks for the above. Will be getting the S3 next month. Goo to hear from iphone users about the comparison & move. Just one question, is the page transition as fluid on the S3 as it is on the iphone ? Or is it stuttery while swiping between screens ?

dodzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the above. Will be getting the S3 next month. Goo to hear from iphone users about the comparison & move. Just one question, is the page transition as fluid on the S3 as it is on the iphone ? Or is it stuttery while swiping between screens ?

Very smooth. And there's even a setting to control the speed of the animation, so you can set it exactly how you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

From the display phones I've played with, it is extremely smooth. A few years back when Samsung released one of their first smartphones, the transition was very jumping\clunky but the UI now is very impressive.

Gonna trade in my iPhone 3GS tomorrow and purchase! Now the next problem is....white or blue? :P

• Advertisement

From the display phones I've played with, it is extremely smooth. A few years back when Samsung released one of their first smartphones, the transition was very jumping\clunky but the UI now is very impressive.

Gonna trade in my iPhone 3GS tomorrow and purchase! Now the next problem is....white or blue? :P

Coming from a 3GS you will be blown away. I has a 4, and the S3 is a good bit better than that even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Welcome to the dark side OP :D.

I'd be very surprised if the iphone 5 is able to compete against the S3 in terms of hard ware specs.

Combined with dropbox the S3 has over 100GB of memory, while the new iPhone will probably still come with its measly 16GB

OP take a look at this series of vids

I promise you i'm not an apple hater. I own both android (Galaxy Nexus) and apple (iPad 3) but i agree with what he is saying

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lads. i will be doing jump too. though is S3 is the only high end option? i am not that crazy about the size of it.

anything new coming out towards november/december?

lads. i will be doing jump too. though is S3 is the only high end option? i am not that crazy about the size of it.

All indications are that initial fears about size are quickly dispelled once you get to grips with it. I'm gonna take the chance, as I'm a fond browser so I figure the extra screen real estate will only add to the experience.

Another Q for the S3 users: Standard sim size I assume ? not that "micro" sim sh1te ??

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Hi all,

For transferring files, you can always install dropbox on your mac and access on yr s3. 50gb dropbox space free with s3. Its gr8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

All indications are that initial fears about size are quickly dispelled once you get to grips with it. I'm gonna take the chance, as I'm a fond browser so I figure the extra screen real estate will only add to the experience.

Another Q for the S3 users: Standard sim size I assume ? not that "micro" sim sh1te ??

Nope it's a micro-sim - t'is the way of the future sure don't you know!

Good to see others making the jump too by the way! If I can get my trade-in price tomorrow I'll buy tomorrow - v. Excited

so whats the story with micro sim then? will i need to go to O2 and order one etc?

btw i did played a bit more with s3 at work. ( one of the girls own it ). It is a really lovely screen. it fits in my work pants pocket, but i dont know how it will be in my jeans. i am afraid its slim design might be not sturdy enough. :(
    Saying all this i will still end up with it i guess... Btw is S3 is a huge improvement over S2?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And itll probably be changed to nano sim in the next couple years :mad:

so whats the story with micro sim then? will i need to go to O2 and order one etc?

btw i did played a bit more with s3 at work. ( one of the girls own it ). It is a really lovely screen. it fits in my work pants pocket, but i dont know how it will be in my jeans. i am afraid its slim design might be not sturdy enough. :(
    Saying all this i will still end up with it i guess... Btw is S3 is a huge improvement over S2?
    Your provider will give you one. Just pop into your local store. Playing with one this morning again, and as previous poster stated, the transition between screens is very smooth. A new learning process about to begin ! Have to source a hip case now....if anyone has any recommendations ?

129011632443842544.jpg

Advertisement