Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bricked Galaxy S1

Options
  • 06-08-2012 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Oops.

Think I've actually managed to kill my old SGS1.

I was donating it to my mother. After attempting to put an official stock firmware on it (open Europe) via Odin. I fear I may have tried to put a wrong file in the wrong place in Odin somewhere (i.e PDA/CSC/Phone)

The downloading started, stalled after a few mins.

Now the phone wont boot, as in it wont power up whatsoever.

Cant get download mode, wont turn on etc.

I have it stuck on the charger now to eliminate the slight possibility of it being a dead battery, but its not looking good.

Anyone any ideas? Have I a dead phone or is their hope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

You mean the external battery charger I presume ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jarren wrote: »
    You mean the external battery charger I presume ?

yes.

Just making sure the battery isnt dead.

After charging the battery go into download mode.

Factory reset may/may not help

Pull the battery out and replace

Now, hold Volume UP + Home + Power button in that order until the Galaxy S logo appears then release all three buttons. The phone should boot into recovery. Use the volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Home button to select. Scroll to Wipe data/Factory reset and press Home then confirm. Do the same for Wipe Cache partition. Once done, select Reboot phone.

Another option would be to get this

http://www.sainsonic.com/sainsmart-micro-usb-dongle-jig.html

It never lets me down when bricking my SGS2,that one ^is made purposely for your model.

Sorry Jarren.

Cant power up the phone, download/cwm etc.

I've previously 'bricked' a phone, but at least it would power up, displaying the warning sign on screen, enabling me to do a battery pull and force download mode.

I think this may be a hardware prob, as a result of odin being loaded with wrong files (my faulkt completely)

If Odin is loaded with wrong files then you just reset custom binary counter using the jig.

I also had issues with the phone not powering up but the external battery pack solved that issue.

• Advertisement

If Odin is loaded with wrong files then you just reset custom binary counter using the jig.

I also had issues with the phone not powering up but the external battery pack solved that issue.

Anyone got a jig I could borrow........?? (she's expecting phone on Thurs)

Also, please explain a bit more about the external battery pack? What is that?

N.B I should also point out that I'm no noob with this sort of thing, I've been flashing/rooting/modding androids for a few years now.

First time I've been stumped with an issue like this though :mad:

This is why I asked you about the external battery charger

http://www.cellularfactory.com/det.jsp?d=49537&c=534561

Your phone will power up after using that ^

I have the USB jig/external battery pack at home but I'm not sure if they are compatible with your phone.

Na man, looks like I'll have to avail of a jtag repair.

Will take it into vibe in Robinhood tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

Ghandee wrote: »
    Na man, looks like I'll have to avail of a jtag repair.

Will take it into vibe in Robinhood tomorrow.

Whereabouts are you based? Thought I bricked my s 3 pm Saturday but got it sorted

emo72 wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you based? Thought I bricked my s 3 pm Saturday but got it sorted

Between Naas and Rathcoole.

• Advertisement

Update on this.

Brought phone to fonemenders in Clondalkin (it was still under warranty)
    They however, have just gotten off phone to tell me the phone is unrepairable due to liquid damage?

WTF?

The phone was working perfectly before the software update was attempted, the phone had not been liquid damaged, nor next to near liquid EVER)

What happened the phone, its as described in OP.

Basically told, phone cannot be fixed, come get it, or it will be recycled.....

What you guys think of that one?

I wouldn't be suprised if they damaged your phone in the first place tbh,the water damage never took place and you know it.Did you pay for an assessment btw ?

Research fonemenders on three/android/mobile phones fora, not a good company to deal with at all .

I wouldn't be suprised if they damaged your phone in the first place tbh,the water damage never took place and you know it.Did you pay for an assessment btw ?

Research fonemenders on three/android/mobile phones fora, not a good company to deal with at all .

Just to reiterate, the phone was working PERFECTLY before the software update.

The phone never did, never has come close to water or Amy other form of liquid.

After stalled update via Odin, it was still in download mode, when i pulled battery out it wouldn't turn back on.

I'm fuming here.

Where do i go from here?

Pics they sent me as 'proof'

354795043655833.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Looking at the picture seems very weird that only water damage or so called water damage got on that point. I then remembered the slide over the usb port. It may have been left open at some point for some moisture to get in. or some such.

I would still argue with them over it.

You could try the unbrickablemod or even send it to them to let them have a crack at it ? Nowt to lose at this stage.

Well at this stage is your word against theirs, it will be almost impossible to prove that they damaged your phone.

First thing is to contact the branch manager to outline your issues if this does not help register your problem with CAI/NSA

http://thecai.ie/complaints/

http://www.nca.ie/contact-us

Also if you could contact Samsung to advice you about the problem with the device

http://www.samsung.com/ie/info/contactus.html

At this stage you have 2 issues soft/hardware related

I believe that mobile repair shops on Moore st in Dublin are decent value wise, you may ask them for a quote to get a new charging port USB connector cable + restoring your SGS1 to the original state.

My 2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Ghandee wrote: »

Brought phone to fonemenders in Clondalkin (it was still under warranty)
    They however, have just gotten off phone to tell me the phone is unrepairable due to liquid damage?

WTF?

The phone was working perfectly before the software update was attempted, the phone had not been liquid damaged, nor next to near liquid EVER)
    I had a similar issue with a Sony phone I bought a few years ago.
    After 3 months of very light usage a few of the buttons on the keypad stopped working making it unusable.
    I brought it into a local shop for it to be sent off to Vodafone and 3 days later it was back saying it had suffered water damage.
    They enclosed a poor quality picture of the so called water damage .
    I was livid as the phone hadnt been anywhere near water but the guy in the shop said it could have been condensation that got into the phone !
    Condensation :rolleyes:

I'm at a loss guys.

In short, this is like bringing your car inn to a garage to get a new clutch, but to be told you need a new paint job!

I brought the phone into them because it stalled midway through a software update, the phone was then unplugged, battery taken out, and attempted to return it to download mode, but phone would not turn back on.

It was then taken to three in Liffey valley, who advised me to take it to fonemenders, as it was still under warranty.

Never was near liquid, definitely didn't suffer liquid damage.

I've no way of proving this however, looks like I've been well and truly shafted.

Advertisement