Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-02-2012, 19:12   #16
jasper2012

Just wanted to update this thread to say that we got two of our four rooms done with calibal boards and we've noticed a huge difference.

My husband did all the work himself, there was absolutely no insulation in our house so he stuffed the bottom and tops of the boards (and all around the window frames) with rockwool and used an acoustic adhesive/silicone filler as well.

Voices have dramatically reduced, where we used to be woken half the night with noise I can honestly say I'm having great nights sleep

Anything we do hear is much more muffled and rather than sounding like the neighbours are living with us they now sound a million miles away.

We are going to get the other two rooms done asap and just need to get it all plastered and re-decorated then.

I would recommend this stuff to anyone else who is considering soundproofing, its definately worth the investment.

Edited to add we used the thickest boards we could get for most of the walls but had to use the thinest boards on our bay window because of of tight space at the window frame.

Last edited by jasper2012; 12-02-2012 at 19:14.
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 01:44   #17
Rachel171

Hi jasper. Just wondering where you got the calibal boards from. Can you describe the process to me somewhat? I am extremely new to DIY! Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2012 View Post
Just wanted to update this thread to say that we got two of our four rooms done with calibal boards and we've noticed a huge difference.

My husband did all the work himself, there was absolutely no insulation in our house so he stuffed the bottom and tops of the boards (and all around the window frames) with rockwool and used an acoustic adhesive/silicone filler as well.

Voices have dramatically reduced, where we used to be woken half the night with noise I can honestly say I'm having great nights sleep

Anything we do hear is much more muffled and rather than sounding like the neighbours are living with us they now sound a million miles away.

We are going to get the other two rooms done asap and just need to get it all plastered and re-decorated then.

I would recommend this stuff to anyone else who is considering soundproofing, its definately worth the investment.

Edited to add we used the thickest boards we could get for most of the walls but had to use the thinest boards on our bay window because of of tight space at the window frame.
25-03-2012, 21:08   #18
Not my real name

Hi Rachel

I lost my log in details so had to sign up again.

We got the boards from U Value insulation. They are also great for advice.

My husband did all the work but in the end it was realatively easy for him to fit them. Basically we didnt have any plasterboards on our walls except around the bay window. He was able to put the insulation boards straight onto the concrete wall and he used plugs and glue to stick them on. He had to take the plasterboard off around the window and restick the new stuff on. He then stuffed every single hole he could find with rockwool. (In time I want to try get the attic insulated as well) All the walls then had to be replastered and painted up again.
As you can see from my description I am no expert on this stuff lol but the guys in U value are helpful and will probably explain it better than me.

As i said I found the reduction in sound great. THey were blaring music one night and I could still hear the thumping noise and if the kids are screaming we can hear it. BUt its a huge improvement to hearing every single word. Its definately making life less stressful.

HTH
23-10-2012, 16:32   #19
Soft Day

Probably too late but Phonewell is a great product to reduce sound through walls -I've used it several times. Proper soundproofing product.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion