Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd...

• 11-08-2003 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to virii/virus protection etc, but something extremely odd happened last night that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on:

In the middle of a game of CS, I got a "System Shutdown" popup, which basically said the PC needed to reboot within the next 60s, and to save all unsaved work etc., which I found odd and a little suspicious. When I rebooted, my PC was in bits: hard drive light was terminally on, CPU usage was at 100%. I couldn't launch any programs or end any processes, the PC would just lock up. A few reboots later I managed to get into msconfig and disable some dodgy looking processes from startup (most suspiciously a completely blank unnamed one) and when I next rebooted all was well.

Now I know of two other people who have at least gotten the "System Shutdown" message, whatever about the other symptoms; anyone got any ideas? I ran an AVG scan last night and nothing came up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

It looks like someone has written a worm/virus for the latest Windows RPC Exploit. Alot of people seem to be having this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

same deal as here

as per other thread above, download remote procedure call patch for your windblows version immediately.

Get that firewall on.

Originally posted by Eurorunner

as per other thread above, download remote procedure call patch for your windblows version immediately.

Get that firewall on.

Exactly people wouldn't be having this problem if they had all updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Exactly people wouldn't be having this problem if they had all updated.

I agree with you shrodinger...although on the other hand im not a great fan of windows update...cos i dont trust microsoft..and also cos my xp pro *cough* isnt quite 'off the shelf' :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I got this thing earlier.
    My mate just got it here too.
    I've downloaded the patch from microsoft.
    How do i get rid of this thing completely?
    Can i just remove the registry entry and delete the msblast.exe ?

Killian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

*sigh* There's a thread about this on MS Apps/OS and another on After Hours. The whining would just drive you insane! :)

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

RPC DCOM Worm On The Loose
    "The first of I'm sure many RPC DCOM worms affecting Windows is on its way, according to the Internet Storm Center. Patch those systems!" According to the site, "The worm uses the RPC DCOM vulnerability [affects Win2k through Server 2003] to propagate. Once it finds a vulnerable system, it will spawn a shell on port 4444 and use it to download the actual worm via tftp."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by dahamsta
    *sigh* There's a thread about this on MS Apps/OS and another on After Hours. The whining would just drive you insane! :)

adam

god forbid we actually get an operating system from microsoft that is actually secure

Advertisement