Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows File Sharing or FTP

Options
  • 06-08-2003 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

If you use windows file sharing on a network are you leaving it wide open or would FTP be a more secure solution?

Any suggestions for FTP freeware progs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

war ftpd from jgaa.com is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It depends on what you're going to be doing. If you'll be copying files often between computers then MS file sharing would probably be less hassle. If security is your top priority, I'd go for FTP (bearing in mind the amount of exploits over the years for windows file sharing). Use NT-based systems using NTFS where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, 2k network, all NTFS.

what ways can I cover myself against exploits. currently using mailtraq with just pop, smtp and http ports open.

is there anything else that might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ah FTP is more secure by far. there's a good un called Guild FTP. you can get it from download.com

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

1.Who are the potential clients?
    If it is your own computers on your private network then windows sharing is more user friendly.

2. Are you sharing a network with people you dont know/trust?
    If so Id rely less on windows sharing and more so on an ftp daemon like Guild which was already mentioned by Kananga.

3. Are you connected to the internet some of the time/all of the time?
    If so definately not windows sharing. Theres plenty of netbios enumeration tools out there that can scan networks for open shares. Legion springs to mind.
    In this case Id be using an ftp daemon. Bear in mind you should use a personal firewall to prevent unauthorised connections to your ftp port (and all open ports on your pc) from the internet.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its a biz network anyway, its unlikely anyone will ever have a go at our network. But its a good opportunity for me to get skilled up on the security side of things.

If i disable netbios over IP, ill it affect the windows shares? Is it easy to seup a local FTP server that will mount as a drive in My Comp for all the clients?

I just setup DSL, used RASPPPOE so i can connect and disconnect ATM, but soon ill be using a wireless router. In addition to this ill be needing outside acces to the network from home and the PDA.

fun eh?

thanks for your advise BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Well, I suppose you could disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and install NetBEUI to make windows file sharing more secure (NetBEUI is non-routable).

Advertisement