Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Linux MUD

Options
  • 28-01-2003 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone reccomend a good sci-fi/contempory/fantasy MUD what uses a console/web-based interface?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I used play at http://www.mud2.com I'm not sure if you'd be happy with it though. They charge a few bob after so many hours free. They've got a console mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Dunno if its what your looking for but the Valhalla Mud Engine (vme) is probably the best engine around. Its DikuII (diku is pretty much the original mud and most other muds are derived from it).

Dev version is free, but you gotta pay for a bigger version.

edit: Doh, sorry, i thought you were just looking for engines. Cant help you there cos the only muds i ever liked were VME's and they are all medieval

Originally posted by Dustaz
    (diku is pretty much the original mud and most other muds are derived from it).

I'm in nit picking form today.. :)

Actually, the first Mud was British Legends (Mud1), written by Richard Bartle and Simon Dally in Colchester. Mud2, as mentioned above is a derivative of that. Muddle was the language used. I suppose most Muds now use Diku, but it wasn't the original. Just thought that needed clarificaion :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hence the use of the phrase "pretty much" :)

I know MUD was the first one, but lets face it, DIKU is the one that set the standard and also the one that shaped MMORPGS.

Also, MUD1 was crap and diku wasnt :)

Yup - Mud1 was pretty crappy alright. That said, it took me 4 years to make Wizard on Mud2. A helluva game. It's a shame that not as many are playing it now.

Btw, there is also a UK server (.com is based in Canada) www.mudii.co.uk will get you started if you're looking for faster ping times and a few more players.

EDIT: Btw, Dr. Richard Bartle himself is often on, playing incognito. Nice chap - met him a few times at Mud Meets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    I'm in nit picking form today.. :)

Actually, the first Mud was British Legends (Mud1), written by Richard Bartle and Simon Dally in Colchester. Mud2, as mentioned above is a derivative of that. Muddle was the language used. I suppose most Muds now use Diku, but it wasn't the original. Just thought that needed clarificaion :p

aside-/ MUD1 was built on the origional mud work done by Roy Trubshaw on a PDP-10 in Essex univertsity in 1979 /-aside

What I'm looking for is a mud to run on our college server, doesn't need to support any more then say 100-200 users.
    I've damn all experience with them from an administration/running point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Yup - Mud1 was pretty crappy alright. That said, it took me 4 years to make Wizard on Mud2. A helluva game. It's a shame that not as many are playing it now.

Btw, there is also a UK server (.com is based in Canada) www.mudii.co.uk will get you started if you're looking for faster ping times and a few more players.

EDIT: Btw, Dr. Richard Bartle himself is often on, playing incognito. Nice chap - met him a few times at Mud Meets.
    Thought I know all the mud2 players in Ireland, who did you play as on mud2.com? And MUD2 is a better "game" than any of that diku or merc or whatever else is out there muds.

Advertisement