Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The original Elite PC game (1984) Free at Elite Dangerous website

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm a bit young for the 1984 one but I spent some crazy amount of hours on the sequel Frontier: First Encounters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, been thinking of buying in to get the new one, but i don't have nearly as much free time (i.e. none) since getting married and having kids.

i think i'll have to just hang up my space pirate boots and leather chaps for good. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Elite was a cracking game back in the day! I must load it up to show the kids, I doubt they will be too impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Never got to grips with Elite Frontier on the Amiga. It just seemed like vast space where absolutely nothing happened.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Anyone got a link to a working BBC Micro emulator the mac that this will work with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 rtfm

Add http and www to g7jjf.com/beebemmac.htm
    Sorry - boards wont let me post a URL :)

Doesn't require X11 apparantly which is missing from the latest MacOSX version anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Never got to grips with Elite Frontier on the Amiga. It just seemed like vast space where absolutely nothing happened.

I loved it as a kid, it was a massive galaxy you could travel and do what you want, it still impresses me that they fit it onto a few megs. Admittedly my young mind filled the large blanks it had, but man was it fun.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Downloading now. 6.7 mb :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

MarkR wrote: »
    Downloading now. 6.7 mb :D

:eek: How long did that take to download! You should plug in a 56k modem and download it old style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

imitation wrote: »
    I loved it as a kid, it was a massive galaxy you could travel and do what you want, it still impresses me that they fit it onto a few megs. Admittedly my young mind filled the large blanks it had, but man was it fun.

Indeed the galaxy is vast as was frontier galaxy. An impressive feat, I do not doubt. I just needed more interaction. What ever the case brings back some memories.

• Advertisement

So I'm the only one who only ever used to horse it back and forth repeatedly from bernard's star trading goods (luxuries and livestock I think?) for days until I had enough for a decent sized ship and heavy duty guns? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fantastic OP.. cheers :)

Loved this back in the day.. I had the Amstrad CPC version - green screen and a tape drive :)

Been watching the new one as well.. think I will need to buy a new laptop first though

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Loved this back in the day.. I had the Amstrad CPC version - green screen and a tape drive :)

I was posh, I had the Amstrad 6128, proper disk drive and everything! :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    So I'm the only one who only ever used to horse it back and forth repeatedly from bernard's star trading goods (luxuries and livestock I think?) for days until I had enough for a decent sized ship and heavy duty guns? :D

I did the same thing, I got a good few upgrades but I got fed up well before I got to the top of the range stuff. Then I hit paydirt, there was a trick on the amiga to increase the cargo space infinitely on a ship. At first I used it to haul insane amounts of toxic waste out to the middle of nowhere and dump it at great profit and quickly upgraded to a kick ass super ship. Then I realised that if you got something really small and stuck a freighter sized hyperdrive into it you could jump a quarter of the way across the galaxy. It was also fun being able to fire a particle accelerator that produced a beam 3-4 times the size of your ship. Good times (for a nerdy kid !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Was looking at the new one of this, was tempted to buy the beta, but there's all these super nerds with flight sim controls that are gonna rape you face every time you try to do anything :x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I did the same thing, I got a good few upgrades but I got fed up well before I got to the top of the range stuff. Then I hit paydirt, there was a trick on the amiga to increase the cargo space infinitely on a ship. At first I used it to haul insane amounts of toxic waste out to the middle of nowhere and dump it at great profit and quickly upgraded to a kick ass super ship. Then I realised that if you got something really small and stuck a freighter sized hyperdrive into it you could jump a quarter of the way across the galaxy. It was also fun being able to fire a particle accelerator that produced a beam 3-4 times the size of your ship. Good times (for a nerdy kid !)

I remember discovering a Cloaking Device on the Amstrad version (dont know if other versions had that?). It was epic... unlike the Star Trek version you could fire while cloaked although it did kill your energy reserves when you used it.

The activation key was undocumented though and you only got it by picking up a cargo canister in the middle of a battle. Cue frantic pressing of every damn button on the keyboard! :p (it was Y btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Wasnt that in frontier elite II?
    I did the same thing, clicking underneath the radioactive waste and jettisoning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

vibe666 wrote: »

Hehe, that was my route aswell.
    Except I never managed to shoot down a single ship.
    When I took on assisination missions, I used to drive my "panther" ship (I think it was), which had massive shields, and run them over pretty much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

kyeev wrote: »
    Hehe, that was my route aswell.
    Except I never managed to shoot down a single ship.
    When I took on assisination missions, I used to drive my "panther" ship (I think it was), which had massive shields, and run them over pretty much.
    The key to combat in it was to turn off auto pilot and use the mouse to follow the target. BAM!
    I think i wound up with an osprey with a class 7 hyperdrive and a plasma accelerator...

phill106 wrote: »
    Wasnt that in frontier elite II?
    I did the same thing, clicking underneath the radioactive waste and jettisoning :)

Yeah, it was indeed. For the original elite, I spent like an hour docking once, and decided that I could hack the hassle of grinding up the docking computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is it possible to share the file that's been downloaded (I mean legally)?
    I really don't fancy signing up to yet another site that's gonna send me emails :)

Advertisement