Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes craft beer 4 for €9

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Patww79 wrote: »

Look at the reverse hipster, way ahead of the pack. You're like the ironic hipsters in the US who drink Pabst Blue Ribbon because they are ahead of normal hipsters who 'still' drink decent quality, locally brewed beer.

Is this offer in every Dunnes? Do they have cans of Blacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

So why are you posting in a thread about beer you obviously dislike? We really don't need to know your preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

MBSnr wrote: »
    So why are you posting in a thread about beer you obviously dislike? We really don't need to know your preference.

You missed him, he's headed off to the Food and Drink forum to tell everyone they should be eating McDonalds and not to get ideas above their station because it makes him feel inferior

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'm not trolling. I just see it as a sad indictment of what Ireland is becoming.

I know what you mean. Its sad to see all of that money going to skilled indigenous irish brewers creating local employment, you can't help but feel so so sad for all those diago and Miller shareholders, they are the forgotten victims here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

marco_polo wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Its sad to see all of that money going to skilled indigenous irish brewers creating local employment, you can't help but feel so so sad for all those diago and Miller shareholders, they are the forgotten victims here :(

This is the real crux of it all. Some of these are NOT skilled irish brewers but simply mass produced in other countries. One example is Tsingtao which is simply the Heineken of Beijing however people pay a fortune here for it. Same as anything brewed by Marstons in UK. (which is nice stuff but a bottle of hobgoblin is not worth 3 euro). However stuff like Rebel Red, Kenmare brewing etc etc is proper craft small brewery stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

TheDriver wrote: »
    This is the real crux of it all. Some of these are NOT skilled irish brewers but simply mass produced in other countries. One example is Tsingtao which is simply the Heineken of Beijing however people pay a fortune here for it. Same as anything brewed by Marstons in UK. (which is nice stuff but a bottle of hobgoblin is not worth 3 euro). However stuff like Rebel Red, Kenmare brewing etc etc is proper craft small brewery stuff

I do know what you mean in so far as the way some supermarkets advertise them, you could consider it a "trendy" foreign beer, so in the context of this thread thats a fair enough point (and definately not one the poster I replied to was making might I add), but Tsingtao would hardly be considered craft by any stretch of the imagination.

I have nothing against big brand beer once I like it btw, Paulaner and Guinness are two of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I got 4 for 9 in Tesco tonight . O'haras IPA. They have some sort of sale on also. Probably in retaliation to Dunnes. Gotta love these price wars..

Tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

O haras ipa is same as o sheas ipa in aldi, even bottle is same but only 1.89 normally. Plus its Irish pale ale and not normal India pale ale....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

O haras ipa is same as o sheas ipa in aldi, even bottle is same but only 1.89 normally. Plus its Irish pale ale and not normal India pale ale....

India pale ale simple means its hopped quite well as in the olden days they used lots of hops to preserve it on long trips to . Irish IPA is the same , but they like to use american hops. Still very nice beer.

I heard that the Aldi stuff comes from the same place, but its not the same brew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭9400

I drink both of them but I prefer the o'haras. It's smoother and when you can get it for 2.15 it's well worth the extra 26 cent. It's 5.2% as opposed to 4.3% I think. Both brewed by the carlow brewing company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Brewed in the same place but definitely not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

India pale ale simple means its hopped quite well as in the olden days they used lots of hops to preserve it on long trips to . Irish IPA is the same , but they like to use american hops. Still very nice beer.

I heard that the Aldi stuff comes from the same place, but its not the same brew.
    Correct, as per the poster below (except that four for 9 euro is 2.25 a bottle :pac:)
    9400 wrote: »
    I drink both of them but I prefer the o'haras. It's smoother and when you can get it for 2.15 it's well worth the extra 26 cent. It's 5.2% as opposed to 4.3% I think. Both brewed by the carlow brewing company.

Ultimately I think a lot of the reason for the difference between the IPAs for O'Sheas and O'Haras is that selling the ABV of O'Hara's at the price of O'Sheas would not be cost effective, whereas you would see the stout and red ales at similar prices much more frequently, as they are the same ABV across brands (O'Shea's IPA is pulled down to the same as this). I think this is also why Leann Follain is that bit more expensive (and another good one to get at 4 for 9 euro, IMHO)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

drumswan wrote: »
    Look at the reverse hipster, way ahead of the pack. You're like the ironic hipsters in the US who drink Pabst Blue Ribbon because they are ahead of normal hipsters who 'still' drink decent quality, locally brewed beer.,

Is this offer in every Dunnes? Do they have cans of Blacks?

See you mention the old pabst blue ribbon,Is that to be got here anywhere do you know? (Not for a hipster btw). Cheers!

cython wrote: »
    Correct, as per the poster below (except that four for 9 euro is 2.25 a bottle :pac:)

Ultimately I think a lot of the reason for the difference between the IPAs for O'Sheas and O'Haras is that selling the ABV of O'Hara's at the price of O'Sheas would not be cost effective, whereas you would see the stout and red ales at similar prices much more frequently, as they are the same ABV across brands (O'Shea's IPA is pulled down to the same as this). I think this is also why Leann Follain is that bit more expensive (and another good one to get at 4 for 9 euro, IMHO)

Leann Follain is an excellent stout, great value when 4 for €9. Over 6% as well isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

marco_polo wrote: »
    I do know what you mean in so far as the way some supermarkets advertise them, you could consider it a "trendy" foreign beer, so in the context of this thread thats a fair enough point (and definately not one the poster I replied to was making might I add), but Tsingtao would hardly be considered craft by any stretch of the imagination.

I have nothing against big brand beer once I like it btw, Paulaner and Guinness are two of my favourites.

What's the Paulaner like? I've seen the bottles and have meant to try it ... Is it a german lager/ale or a pills or something? Cheers!

What's the Paulaner like? I've seen the bottles and have meant to try it ... Is it a german lager/ale or a pills or something? Cheers!

It a weiss (wheat) beer, but it packs more of a punch than something like Erdinger which is pleasant drink but a little bland (imo of course everyone taste buds are different). Definately worth a try at least and very available around dublin on draft. Wasn't sure if I liked it the first time I tried it but it is now definately my goto beer when there is a tap available.

Its a Weissbier isnt it? Something like Erdinger.

Advertisement