Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad Core Android phone for €85 delivered

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moto G is a hard one to beat to be honest. And although on paper that may do it in some regards, I would bet it's not as good as it'd made out to be. Save your change and get a moto G is my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

Moto G is a hard one to beat to be honest. And although on paper that may do it in some regards, I would bet it's not as good as it'd made out to be. Save your change and get a moto G is my recommendation.

I agree, one issue i didnt mention as to my selection is that i have two phones. one is my personal phone and one is an on call phone which gets used every three weeks or so. the car bluetooth can only connect to one phone at a time and so i thought dual sim phone would sort my in car phone issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭samsclub

been buying from these for over a year now.never let me down .................but customs included still a decent price.

samsclub wrote: »
    been buying from these for over a year now.never let me down .................but customs included still a decent price.

Any idea how much extra customs will add?

got mine today 30 eur0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

If i remember well they will refund any tax/custom fee to Your PP account.
    Sorry this shop http://www.hongkongeek.com/fr/smartphones-android/5252-50-pouces-smartphone-chinois-cubot-s208.html would.
    http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/content/8-CUSTOMS-DUTY-FREE-VAT-PAID-BACK bit more expensive but €15 in Your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

got mine today 30 eur0

How is the phone? Battery, etc...

Looking to get a cheap phone for my nephew.

Its hard to say after 2hours;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

loki7777 wrote: »
    Its hard to say after 2hours;)

True :)

Do let me know maybe in few days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Ha, I just happened to pull the trigger on one of these earlier (hadn't seen the thread), I got mine on Amazon shipped from the UK for €111, so no customs and I should get it in 3-4 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Im thinking of getting one of these along with a tesco sim only. 25 euro with 1000 mins 1000 texts and 15 GB Data.
    My only concern is the andriod version 4.2. Is this upgradeable? will it cause problems with new apps?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Nice phone, I myself have a Cubot GT99 for well over a year and no complaints. The battery life is pretty good. I always buy from www.pandawill.com, I have ordered this for the OH for her Bday..

http://www.pandawill.com/feiteng-h9500-smart-phone-android-42-mtk6589-quad-core-50-inch-hd-ips-screen-50mp-front-camera-white-p72955.html

I bought from Geek once (tablet) and the day I opened it, it was faulty. After a long long drawn out conversation with customer service I returned the tablet (at my own expense) and they repaired it. I say I have the tablet for 6 months and I was without for 5 months. It is working fine now but that is the chance you take on these I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Ha, I just happened to pull the trigger on one of these earlier (hadn't seen the thread), I got mine on Amazon shipped from the UK for €111, so no customs and I should get it in 3-4 days.

Tried... but says cannot ship to Ireland :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

partner has a cubot , I warned him about customs, lack of warranty etc. but he only had 80 quid so......

but it's brilliant, he uses it to display apps he is writing and has up dated the software without issue.

he ordered from Hong Kong direct and the first one, the screen failed after 6 weeks. he had to take photos etc and send it back, but he got a replacement and his postage refunded within 2 weeks. he sent the faulty one to the UK and the replacement came from Hong Kong.
    as soon as he is done with his one, I'm taking it.

the camera is brilliant, and video playback is perfect.

not sure of the model number but can check, it's supposed to be like a HTC 1.

sector_000 wrote: »
    Tried... but says cannot ship to Ireland :eek:

Really, I had no issues and got an email to say delivery is expected this Wednesday. Got free postage too!

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Really, I had no issues and got an email to say delivery is expected this Wednesday. Got free postage too!

This is very strange. It definitely wouldn't deliver to Ireland for me yesterday.... but today it does! :confused:

what did you think of the phone ?and did you get hit for customs

It'll be ~1 week before I receive the phone. And as I ordered from amazon.co.uk I do not expect to pay anything more than the £89.98 price tag.

Just got it there. As it came from the UK, there were no custom charges to pay. The phone is really nice if quite big (5" screen) but very light and slim with minimal boarder around the screen. The screen not being HD is noticeable (just) at this size, but for the price, its a steal. It looks well made (the back cover is plastic, but its looks ok) and I would have no issues in recommending one, although these are just initial impressions I have yet to use it for a time. Its actually for my GF but I'd definitely consider one myself.

id love to ask this question.. theres a cubot my mate has mini usb charging port htc etc samsung...it just will not charge from my samsung cable or wall charger. it was charged up when was got from amazon germany.... its an asian one...anyone ever have this problem?

• Advertisement

id love to ask this question.. theres a cubot my mate has mini usb charging port htc etc samsung...it just will not charge from my samsung cable or wall charger. it was charged up when was got from amazon germany.... its an asian one...anyone ever have this problem?

No. My cubot charges fine with other micro usb chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

Arrived this morning, no extra charges from anyone YAY

So far so good I just unboxed and am charging it up.

For 85 euro it looks like a great bargain but time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

vodafone payg has a quad core

80€ when you switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not all USB chargers have the same output. They range from .5mA to 2.1mA. Some tablets need the higher ones or they won't charge. Try a higher rated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I've bought dual sim chinese phones before. Biggest problem has always been the battery life.

The s208 is a winner though, better than a galaxy S3 for battery! I ran a benchmark app and it's coming up in the same league as an S3.

The only issue I am having is the device will see both sim cards as roaming. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Okay so what is the story with customs if it is caught for it, do Customs withhold the phone until you've paid or is it charged at point of sale???

You pay when You will get it - they may send You a letter asking for an invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Okay so what is the story with customs if it is caught for it, do Customs withhold the phone until you've paid or is it charged at point of sale???

The cubot s208 is available on amazon and is part of their 'amazon fullfillment' range of products. This basically means a 3rd party supplier supplies amazon with the devices, and amazon stock the product and take care of the logistics.

For this reason it would be sent from an amazon storage facility in the uk and would rule out any customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Bit the bullet and ordered this today.

How long should I expect for delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

The cubot s208 is available on amazon and is part of their 'amazon fullfillment' range of products. This basically means a 3rd party supplier supplies amazon with the devices, and amazon stock the product and take care of the logistics.

For this reason it would be sent from an amazon storage facility in the uk and would rule out any customs charges.

I'm not going to go for the Cubot, I ended up finding this ZTE one, which a fantastic bargain and ZTE is a very good brand behind a lot of good phones, like the old Orange San Francisco.

Advertisement