Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floorboards! Help!

Options
  • 18-08-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey all,

I'm renovating a house that i have recently purchased, and i want to take the exsisting carpet out of the living room and replace it with floorboards!

The only question is now...what kind of floorboards! I'm not really liking the laminate flooring and i'm leaning more towards the semi solids/solid floorings. But if i understand correctly there isn't much of a market for the solids anymore!?

Can someone please advice me the best route to go...based on your own experiences/expertise!?

I'd appreciate any replies, thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

16-22mm semi solid engineered boards. best buy. dont go for solids they are only hassle. make sure you buy a good quality floor underlay with soundproof properties. makes the floor way better to walk on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Miss_InCogNito

Thanks for the reply 1chippy.

I've seen far more laminate boards on sale as opposed to semi-engineered floorboards! I was nearly considering going down the laminate route until i found one place that was selling the laminates for more or less the same price as a solid board!! Surely this can't make sense?!

Also, how does the semi-engineered boards, that you have recommended, take to alot of wear and tear, i.e. is it durable? any disadvantages that the semi-engineered oak boards have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

the semi solid are just a far superior board.very little if any movement with them.they also tend to fit together that bit better. make sure they have a good backing material. they are plenty good enough in durability terms.

Advertisement