Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/4 or 1/2" router

Options
  • 08-08-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting myself a router.

I have a cordless dremel and was tempted to get the router attachment but it seems a bit limited etc. Any thoughts on that? will normal router bits fit it?

If I was to get a standalone router, it'd be a fairly cheap one but my big question is whether to get a quarter or half inch shank size. Would I be wrong in assuming the size cannot be changed? What size would most bits be made for and is there an advantage over either? I take it the half in bits are more expensive?

It would be used on a project basis but not for a huge amount of stuff, generally rounding of corners etc nothing to heavy at all. Maybe the hollowing of a block of timber as much as it would allow.

What are your expert thoughts?

the three I'm looking at are

Router 1

Router 2

Router 3

you can see the price range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

It all depends on what you want to do with it. For light duty, hand held work a 1/4" router of decent wattage would be well up to the job and would prove an inexpensive introduction to routing. Sets of 1/4" bits are reasonably inexpensive and will give you an appreciation of what can be done with various profiles. If you want to do any large scale work and particularly work on a table you need to get a 1/2" machine and preferably one with electronic variable speed. I've no experience with "Silverline" powertools, never seen one before so I can't really comment on them. I think you'd need to consider spending up to €100 for a mid range budget 1/4" router and up to €200 for a decent 1/2" machine. The beauty of buying a decent 1/2" machine from the outset is you can use 1/4" bits with a reducing bush and you'll have plenty of power to do anything you need. I have a 1/2" Makita myself, not cheap but it's rated for industrial use. I've seen decent mid range routers in B & Q that I'd be happy to own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

Ideally you would buy a 1/2 inch 1600w+ router made by Dewalt hitachi makita or trend. That would cost you anywhere from €200-€500.

Since you dont need that power or reliability then a 1/4 inch collet will do you grand. Out of the three makes you have picked, Einhell is the only on I would go for if I was you. Saying that, you will more than likely get your moneys worth out of all 3.

My own routers are 2000w 1/2Dewalt, 2000w 1/2Hitachi. Both are great and never let me down.

If I was you I would take advantage of the great tradesman migration and buy a second hand one from donedeal.ie

You might have to wait a few weeks but you will get what your after eventually.

Also, as far as router bits go, buy them on Ebay. The ones in most tool shops are industrial. You can buy them for 10% that price on ebay. They might not be the best but they will last you for what you need them for.

all the best;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Thanks for the sound replies folks. I know its not what you pro's go for and it's very difficult to recommend something you wouldn't go near, but at my level I just need to know if they should be ok, which I think by those posts they should be.

Any more replies welcome, won't be purchasing for a while.

will also keep an eye on second hand

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

And keep an eye out for the Aldi router ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

dont know if you bought yet but if you didn't then there's a black and decker one:

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/black-decker-kw900eka-1-4-plunge-router-1200w-p8207

i got it in mcquillans for €99.00 about 2 months ago.

it's a 1/4" router

comes with 6 bits, (no dovetail bit unfortunately)
    guide rail, 3 collets, template guide, all you need for starting off, and it's variable speed aswell as a plunge router.

i even mounted it in a router table and worked perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Thanks for that. Should have updated to say I bought a 1/2 15000W draper router from amazon. cost €111, blew the budget a bit but sure thats the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

find me someone that doesn't blow the budget on every power tool they buy...

ya just gotta have that extra 1/2 hp or 100 watts :D

i was going to buy the einheld one to start with :D

Advertisement