Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balcony Decking

Options
  • 05-05-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I was wondering if someone can advise me about balcony decking. I have had nothing but problems with mine (new build 3 years old). It is softwood, the planks are cracked, warped and lifting.

I would like to replace the whole lot and would appreciate any advice/recommendations for this job. My neighbour has the same issue so it would be four balconies that need replacing.

Any advice on where to get started/recommended tradesmen would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

If the boards are lifting and craking then the chippy didnt nail them down properly or frequently enough. Replace the lot if needs be and ensure you treat/varnish or wax the lot every year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭slattsteen

What kind of wood exactly,im guessing Irish treated softwood, any balconys/decks ive done were imported presure treated douglas fir, screwed each side every 450 mm,i also stain the planks before laying them,seems your planks wer'nt screwed, screws should also be coated so chemicals in wood wont corode them. Mine are the same as they were 5 yeard ago

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kev91

as was said above sounds like they wernt screwed down enough if ya want to pm me i can go have a look at it and let you know what needs to be done etc

kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

All good advice above. When you do get the wood, try and apply the decking stain( or whatever it is you will use) to all six sides of the wood before putting it in place. It's not always feasible, but it will prevent it from warping as all areas will be sealed.

Advertisement