Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling wood working kit

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:36am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you were bring a bag of carpentry tools around with you to tackle common jobs, what would you pack?
    Here's my list;

Combination square
    Pencil
    Measuring tape
    Japanese double edged (rip & cross cut) saw
    Block plane
    A set of chisels
    A sharpening stone
    Screw gun + bits (drivers & drills)
    A selection of screws
    Spirit level
    Dustpan & brush
    Ham sandwiches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kev91

square
    pencil
    small notepad
    metal ruler
    5m tape
    chisels
    hammer
    pry bar
    box of screws
    box of nails
    drill + bits
    small level
    dovetail saw
    couple cans of red bull or monster
    20 benson
    lighter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Ah b****r, I'm away off home I forgot the hammer!
    Better get the pincers and a couple of nail punches too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

slowburner wrote: »
    If you were bring a bag of carpentry tools around with you to tackle common jobs, .....
    Discuss?

I can't stand putting good tools in a bag as they get all knocked together but most tool boxes are just the wrong size, I use one of the tool totes like the Stanley one, it could be better.

7056_prev.jpg
    The problem is that its too big and soon collects far more than the essentials and more tools equals more weight and eventually I end up with an essential collection of tools thats just too heavy to carry around so I have to start again.

I use my tools outside so they can get wet and left all over the place hence the colour and a lot of plastic/ally/ss + replaceability here's my list...

Yellow plastic roofing square - won't rust
    Yellow Plastic torpedo level with magnetic base.
    Stainless Steel ruler - would also like a SS roofing square
    4m Tape measure
    Plastic marking gauge - wooden ones get damp and jamb up.
    Retractable Stanley knife - often used for marking and cutting roofing felt
    Freeby ballpoint pens.
    Lidl screwdriver set in plastic box - cheap throw away set that also has useful bits that can also be used in battery drill.
    Pry bar
    4inch cold chisel - thin light one often used like a pry bar or wedge
    1 1/2inch footprint wood chisel with handle that can take metal hammer blows - used for rough work and as a pry bar :o
    Old screwdriver reshaped for pulling staples
    Claw Hammer
    Nail punch
    Plastic Bottle of wood glue
    Hard Point Dovetail Saw - fits into tote box very well - cheap and replacable
    Fine hard Point rip saw - a real pain to fit in anywhere but I still like them over the japanese style saws.
    18V Battery drill kept separate but put into top of tote when needed - (always?)
    Few drills
    Decent quality screwdriver bits
    Plastic cramps (6inch?)- Lidl again
    Few spring cramps clipped to side of tote
    Big heavy 18inch cramp (Record) - bit heavy but very useful
    Wire cutters - also used on nails and fence staples
    Mole grips - can't be without them
    Record or Stanley replaceable blade plane - cheap replaceable blades and great for easing all types of work as its also a rebate plane (bought mine in Car Boot sales in UK)
    Spoke shaves - not really needed as rarely used in this context
    Roberts Radio with batteries for listening to BBC Radio 4 on LW

Thats really my shed making toolkit but is the first out for many general jobs.

+ Keep meaning to put in a head torch.

+ Swiss army knife (Cyber Tool) is always in a back trouser pocket.

Stuff not in this particular tool box...

NO srews at all - once screws start to get into this tool set I soon end up with far to many.
    NO nails - same issue as screws
    NO good wood chisels - rarely use them outside
    NO decent planes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

just bring the van. i back packed for long enough with the essentials. never enough tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

1chippy wrote: »
    just bring the van. i back packed for long enough with the essentials. never enough tools.

Hope you enjoy unpacking and packing the van. I know you can never have enough tools but I also know I can spend more time messing with them than actually getting the job done - but then no ones paying me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

While unpacking/packing the van, somewhere, somehow I managed to lose my beloved Metabo cordless drill. It's a bit like having lost some of my fingers - only when you don't have one, do you realise how much you depend on these tools :(

Discuss?

I can't stand putting good tools in a bag as they get all knocked together but most tool boxes are just the wrong size, I use one of the tool totes like the Stanley one, it could be better.
    Quite right, Sir :pac:

Advertisement