Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will I paint this wood?

Options
  • 24-08-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My dad is making this for my daughter's bedroom:
    960637BA.jpg
    and my job is to paint it! I dont know where to start, it will be ready next week. I assume I need to prime it with some sort of mdf primer? (I assume its mdf he is using im waiting for him to confirm this)
    Do I need special wook paint? I am painting it the exact same colours as the picture but when I was in B&Q they only seemed to have wood paint in white like for the internal doors inside your house
    Help needed please!
    Sorry I cant seem to put the image in just a link, cant find the image icon?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

shellynewe wrote: »

insertimage.gif

I've edited your post to include the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shellynewe

oscarBravo wrote: »

insertimage.gif

I've edited your post to include the image.
    Thanks! Now I just need some answers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

if he is useing mdf go to a paint shop and ask for paint for mdf you only need 1 or 2 coats jst to seal up the edges after that just use what ever colours your going to paint it oh yea to get a realy smoth finish use wet and dry sand paper wit a very small bit of water:D

wwwboof wrote: »
    if he is useing mdf go to a paint shop and ask for paint for mdf you only need 1 or 2 coats jst to seal up the edges after that just use what ever colours your going to paint it oh yea to get a realy smoth finish use wet and dry sand paper wit a very small bit of water:D
    Great thanks so once I use the mdf paint I can then pain over in any type of paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

Great thanks so once I use the mdf paint I can then pain over in any type of paint?

yes.the paint for mdf is a sealer jst for the edges normal paint just absorbes into it.other was you be at it all day. best way to put it on is with a roller and a very lite sand after each coat just use the sanding blocks the ones like a sponge.

hope that helps:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

If your father has not assembled it yet i would suggest you prime and undercoat as many of the parts as you can first, it will save you a hell of a lot of work later!

Thanks for replies so far;)
    He is going to bring it in pieces and assemble it in her room but he lives far away so I wont be able to prime it in the pieces because he would be able to wait all day for it to dry and then put together....

I have another question now, im painting a toy chest that is plain wood now (ill take a pic later) so i was going to sand it lightly and paint it to match the colours of the bed, do I need to prime it with the same primer im using for the bed? The toy chest isin't mdf its solid wood that looks shiny like it was varnished or maybe I can just paint directly onto it?
    I also have to paint some coving green to match the bed-im going to be very busy painting these next few weeks!!!!

Advertisement