Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Winback Reps Sob to SB Post

Options
  • 01-02-2004 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

"I have had people chasing me down the road. I got punched once,"

While the Winback operation ...managed by Alan Cox in Eircom and run by CPM on contract .... is well known to the readers of the Board , this is the first time that they have been covered in the National press.

Story is Here in the Business Post today.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Muck
    "I have had people chasing me down the road. I got punched once,"

It's amazing really... how one little sentance can make a persons otherwise frustrating day so filled with joy and laughter.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Had a laugh at that article alright. There was another piece about the different forms of Broadband in Ireland and the journalist managed to make the Byte/bit mistake saying that we could download half a megaBYTE a second with €ircon Broadband. He kept using Byte instead of bit and the whole thing was more like an advertising piece. He also stated that NTL Broadband was available nationwide!!!!! I lost a bit of respect for the SBO after that. Shoddy journalism at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heh, had a good laugh at the "6 week's training" statement. Um...ya.

I know personally a guy who got the job, spent half a week training, and was given a car and told to go out there. Pity he was actually a good bull**** spouter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

How, oh how do they get away with it?!

It really is a joke.

If someone collected all the press releases and media conferences that Eircom have put out in the last few years and handed them to the European Commission to consider, Eircom would be shut down for moral reasons if any.

"Eircom to be liquidated by Commission for gross immorality"

"The European Commissioner for Information and Enterprise, Erkki Liikanen, has announced the forced liquidation of Eircom stating at his press conference earlier this afternoon that he believed the company's moral standards to be so low as to warrant a forced closure. His five minute report on the state of the company was ended with an unusally blunt summary in wich he referred to the company as being "a complete bunch of utter Bolloxes, really."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

doh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by The Clown Man

"Eircom to be liquidated by Commission for gross immorality"

"The European Commissioner for Information and Enterprise, Erkki Liikanen, has announced the forced liquidation of Eircom stating at his press conference earlier this afternoon that he believed the company's moral standards to be so low as to warrant a forced closure. His five minute report on the state of the company was ended with an unusally blunt summary in wich he referred to the company as being "a complete bunch of utter Bolloxes, really." [/B]

LOL, that's priceless. Good work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The Eircom rep in that article is a lying toerag. Having gotten a seperate line install just for ADSL and with Netsourse, I had 2 phone calls asking me was i interested in Eircom BB. After I explained in very simple words to avoid any confusion that I would never pay for any Eircom service that I could get elsewhere in this case Netsourse and that after using the tern " dont ring me again about this" the phone calls stopped. About a month later I got a visit from one of there winback people trying to get me to go back to Eircom BB, which was odd as Id never been with them to being with, with the line being freshly installed and all.

The bloke was clueless about prices and he told me bare faced lies about how much Eircom charged and the size of there cap on BB. After telling him multiple times I wasnt interested in any Eircom products and how much I loathed the company, I still had to ask was it nessery for me to shut the door in his face before he got the message. So the reps whole "we won bother ex-customers who have stated they dont want our service" is bull**** like most of her other comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Whats shocking is that 90% of people still use eircom for their calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Whats shocking is that 90% of people still use eircom for their calls.
    Since we can't totally cut them away and have to pay them (bloody high) line rental, it doesn't seem worth the effort of switching, TBH.... if we could get some kind of voip really cheap (since we've got wireless broadband as of last week), and just have the eircom account closed, we would.

zynaps

Originally posted by zynaps
    Since we can't totally cut them away and have to pay them (bloody high) line rental, it doesn't seem worth the effort of switching, TBH

Are you joking? There are massive savings to be made swithing to another operator for calls. My brothers in laws were spending up to and above €250 an €ircon bill on calls until they switched to Vartec and Esat and now their bill is around €70 a month. Over a year they will save around €1320. I think therefore there is plenty of incentive to switch your calls from €ircon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Are you joking? There are massive savings to be made swithing to another operator for calls. My brothers in laws were spending up to and above €250 an €ircon bill on calls until they switched to Vartec and Esat and now their bill is around €70 a month. Over a year they will save around €1320. I think therefore there is plenty of incentive to switch your calls from €ircon.

I concur with what you say above. I have went to UTV. But I think the majority of old dears wont change because of having to get 2 bills one from €ircom and the other from the call supplier. When single biling comes this will change as there will be no incentive to stay with O'Reilycom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

About half of phone users spend less than €25 a month on phone calls - they're not going to save much by switching. They'll usually save something, but the old "it's not worth the effort" argument has some validity in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Just wodering whats the best procedure to deal with Eircon pressure sales tactics by the way?

I had a "customer care" phone call from them on saturday morning where I made it rather obvious I would never deal with them regarding phone calls and as soon as it was feasible I would be getting rid of their landline. Currently with UTV.

Today the usual letter saying how delighted Eircon is that I am interested in returning to them (in fact the exact opposite of what they were told of course).

Is there a procedure for complaining about Eircons sales tactics in existence. I realise that complaining to Eircon (if you could get through to them) and Comreg is more than likely a fruitless excercise but perhaps if enough complaints were made then maybe (just maybe) something might just happen or it may give some justification to whatever powers that be to smack them down a bit.

I live in hope (and probably delusion)...

I long for the day that an €ircom winback rep calls to my door so I can vent some anger at them. I know they probably couldn't give a rats arse about the company but it would make me feel a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by machalla
    I had a "customer care" phone call from them on saturday morning...
    Next time that happens tell the person on the end of the phone that unfortunately you're not able to talk at the moment and could you have their home number and you'll ring them at home. If they have a problem with this, tell them to fúck off and not to ring you at home on your day off!

viking

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by Venom
    The bloke was clueless about prices and he told me bare faced lies about how much Eircom charged and the size of there cap on BB.
    went back to €ircon about a year ago when my wife finally succumbed to the promise of 25% off the total bill if it was over €50 when the winback agent called to the door. The prick also claimed that calls would be cheaper under certain options. We went with the months trail. As he left no literature with us (had 'ran out of stuff but would drop it in') I rang 1901m the following day to confirm the deal and was told that it was all true.
    Needless to say there was no months trial and when the bill arrived two months later for ~€300 (IIRC) we got a discount of about €1.50.
    I went mental and rang 1901.
    "Sorry sir but that was winback's dealk and you have to ring them"
    Went even more mental & rang winback.
    The girl couldn't do anything as there was no such offer.
    Going really feckin mental now.
    "Can i speak to your manager?"
    "She is in a meeting now will I get her to call you back?"
    "YES"
    Never rang me back and after 3 calls I threatened ComReg (grasping at straws!) and the manager took my call.
    She took the details of the case and did some investigation and confirmed that we were misled by the agent and she put this in writing and gave us a discount of ~80 off the next bill.
    F**kers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by viking
    Next time that happens tell the person on the end of the phone that unfortunately you're not able to talk at the moment and could you have their home number and you'll ring them at home. If they have a problem with this, tell them to fúck off and not to ring you at home on your day off!
    Ah, good ol' Jerry.

Hello NEWMAN!

Originally posted by kbannon
    [Bnext bill.
    [/B]

You mean there was a next bill???Thought after treatment like that you'd tell them to stick their service again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Ah, good ol' Jerry.
    Hehe, I've never watched Seinfeld in my life...

Can I claim retrospective copyright? :p

viking

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You mean there was a next bill???Thought after treatment like that you'd tell them to stick their service again!!
    had too much on my plate at the time.
    Im in the process of looking for a better proivider (if you have any suggestions (apart from 'anyone'))
    K.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by viking
    Can I claim retrospective copyright?
    No, but you can claim Advanced Chinese Whispers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by machalla
    Just wodering whats the best procedure to deal with Eircon pressure sales tactics by the way?
    Record it. If they call you, tell them you're recording it - they won't know whether it's true or not. (You can get a little adapter to plug a tape recorder into a phone socket for a few quid if you really want to do it).

If they call to your door, get out the Video camera.

You won't see them for dust.

Advertisement