Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ShellShock Bug

Options
  • 26-09-2014 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29375636

Just saw about this Shellshock Bug, which affects Bash on Unix/Linux/MacOS

Not it sounds like it's not going to a huge concern for home users as "the conditions to exploit it are fairly uncommon for remote exploitation"

Just wondering if this is something I should be worried about, or is it a case of apply whatever updates come through during the next fews days, have a (free) beer and let it all blow over?! :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Grudaire wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29375636

Just saw about this Shellshock Bug, which affects Bash on Unix/Linux/MacOS

Not it sounds like it's not going to a huge concern for home users as "the conditions to exploit it are fairly uncommon for remote exploitation"

Just wondering if this is something I should be worried about, or is it a case of apply whatever updates come through during the next fews days, have a (free) beer and let it all blow over?! :pac:

yum update bash -y

Then go have your beer.

The impact on home users has been under-rated. If your router/gateway runs linux and the management interface listens on the WAN port, then you are probably vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

syklops wrote: »
    yum update bash -y

Then go have your beer.

I'll see what Linux Mint makes of that command :D Cool - I'll run the equivalent when I'm home
    The impact on home users has been under-rated. If your router/gateway runs linux and the management interface listens on the WAN port, then you are probably vulnerable.

Interesting. Anyway of checking that? I have a SKY router, but might as well make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'll see what Linux Mint makes of that command :D Cool - I'll run the equivalent when I'm home

Try apt-get upgrade bash
    Interesting. Anyway of checking that? I have a SKY router, but might as well make sure.

Whats the model of router?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Try apt-get upgrade bash...

just to be awkward, you can install Yum on Mint and run it that way :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I know shell shock is a particularly nasty little fúcker, but I love the scare mongering going on at the moment. Media outlets letting people know the internet could possibly be taken down :P Not if Sys Admins get on top of it straight away and download a patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Annoying bug for sure, the only server I was really worried about was out outward facing webserver (running Centos) so that's had two updates for bash so far & wondering if there will me more of them next week.

Internally it's a bit tricky as lots of people have Fedora on their PC's with versions spanning 10 upto 20. Some people don't want to move as they believe in the 'if it ain't broke...." rule. My boss might decide to use this as a stick to force the issue, we shall see :)

opus wrote: »
    Annoying bug for sure, the only server I was really worried about was out outward facing webserver (running Centos) so that's had two updates for bash so far & wondering if there will me more of them next week.

Internally it's a bit tricky as lots of people have Fedora on their PC's with versions spanning 10 upto 20. Some people don't want to move as they believe in the 'if it ain't broke...." rule. My boss might decide to use this as a stick to force the issue, we shall see :)

Are you the Sys Admin for your Company Opus? Would you not run a network wide upgrade to Fedora 20 and install patches at the same time? As for the bug itself, I'd schedule a task to seek out updates daily some time after 12 at night so it doesn't disrupt any one during the day.

Itzy wrote: »
    Are you the Sys Admin for your Company Opus? Would you not run a network wide upgrade to Fedora 20 and install patches at the same time? As for the bug itself, I'd schedule a task to seek out updates daily some time after 12 at night so it doesn't disrupt any one during the day.

Yes indeed that's what would have happened at many companies I've worked in the past but where I am now is just not that sort of place :)

There was an easy fix for this in the end, for any of the older systems no longer getting updates from RedHat, I just compiled the appropriate version of bash from source after applying the many patches and replaced the executable on each host. Fair play to the bash maintainers for issuing patches for some really old versions.

Was pleasantly surprised to find it actually compiled ok on some ancient Solaris boxes as well!

opus wrote: »
    Yes indeed that's what would have happened at many companies I've worked in the past but where I am now is just not that sort of place :)

Bureaucracy or just too awkward? I'm sure it would only take a few scripts and scheduled tasks. (Sorry for the over simplification!)

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    Bureaucracy or just too awkward? I'm sure it would only take a few scripts and scheduled tasks. (Sorry for the over simplification!)

Neither, our attitude is that the Fedora (& other) boxes are just tools that people use to do their work so if it does the job why change it unless there's a very good reason. Some people like the latest thing, some people couldn't care less so we try to cater to both where feasible.

Advertisement