Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to convert commercial to residential premises

Options
  • 06-10-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I want to buy a bungalow that was originally residential but has been converted to a Coillte training centre. It is now for sale, am I likely to have issues getting permission to convert it back to a residential home for my own use?
    After viewing it is still essentially laid out like a house, just with extra toilets and shower block.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I want to buy a bungalow that was originally residential but has been converted to a Coillte training centre. It is now for sale, am I likely to have issues getting permission to convert it back to a residential home for my own use?
    After viewing it is still essentially laid out like a house, just with extra toilets and shower block.

it would have to have adequate private open space, refuse storage, off street parking etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've gotten opinions that it may not need planning at all to be converted back to a single occupancy residential dwelling, as long as that was its original use.

A section 5 application should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

sydthebeat wrote: »
    it would have to have adequate private open space, refuse storage, off street parking etc
    It has all of that, including garden, shed and tarmac yard.
    Still waiting to get the pre planning form from the council, only the third time of asking. The EA originally turned down my offer outright and so have not pushed things but now they want to close a sale but quick, so pressure on to find out if I can live in it.

kceire wrote: »
    I've gotten opinions that it may not need planning at all to be converted back to a single occupancy residential dwelling, as long as that was its original use.

I have no idea what that is but will look into it, as above, waiting for pre planning application to be sent from council. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

kceire wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you do need planning, as it's a material change of use of the building. I can't imagine there'd be much issue with it, but you might wish to call a planner on it before doing anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Penn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you do need planning, as it's a material change of use of the building. I can't imagine there'd be much issue with it, but you might wish to call a planner on it before doing anything else.

i know there as an SI amendment a few years ago which made the conversion of attached units into one housing unit exempt, where it had originally existing as a single unit dwelling.

not sure if that extends to material change of use though.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/planning/faqs/#Can I convert 2 or more dwellings to use as a single dwelling without permission?
    Can I convert 2 or more dwellings to use as a single dwelling without permission?
    Yes. But only if the structure was previously used as a single dwelling. e.g. a house which was used as a single dwelling when built, later converted to flats can convert back to single dwelling use under this exemption.

I need to send in a 1:1000 map with the application - am I better off just buying the IOS planning pack now rather than just the map?
    I cannot find anywhere else to get the map from.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

I'd be of the opinion that a change of use permission is required. Pre planning is for those with a legal interest in the land usually or with permission of landowner but if the council planner will meet you, send in the map they ask for. Or fork out for private advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

OP, did you go ahead with this? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert a commercial building which has a residential apartment upstairs at the moment in to a fully residential building? Wonder if this is even possible/allowed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

boogaloop wrote: »
    OP, did you go ahead with this? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to convert a commercial building which has a residential apartment upstairs at the moment in to a fully residential building? Wonder if this is even possible/allowed?

Definitely possible. I've seen it been done in Dublin. You just have to approach the planners or engage a suitable person to approach and make the application for you.

Bear in mind that it will have to comply with new dwelling regulations if it is to be a single dwelling, if you plan to create a new apartment, then a Fire cert and DAC will also be required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement