Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of moving to Gorey

• 27-09-2015 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

We are moving house, probably out of Arklow and are thinking of going to Gorey/Courttown (I don't think estate agents believe that Courtown exists if the ads are to be believed)

We have picked a few places outside of the town and just want to know if anyone can offer any insight into them.
    1stly I've read here, granted a few years ago that Etchingham heights is to be avoided, is it that bad and does hassle flow from there (the reason we are moving from Arklow is because of anti social behaviour)
    Can anyone offer an opinion on the areas below
    Glen Aoibhinn
    Newborough
    Clonattin village (the park and the green)
    Ramsgate
    Sunset avenue
    Woodlands manor

I know it's a lot of places but we are keeping our options open. We have 3 kids so it will need to suit them.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

hairyslug wrote: »
    We are moving house, probably out of Arklow and are thinking of going to Gorey/Courttown (I don't think estate agents believe that Courtown exists if the ads are to be believed)

We have picked a few places outside of the town and just want to know if anyone can offer any insight into them.
    1stly I've read here, granted a few years ago that Etchingham heights is to be avoided, is it that bad and does hassle flow from there (the reason we are moving from Arklow is because of anti social behaviour)
    Can anyone offer an opinion on the areas below
    Glen Aoibhinn
    Newborough
    Clonattin village (the park and the green)
    Ramsgate
    Sunset avenue
    Woodlands manor

I know it's a lot of places but we are keeping our options open. We have 3 kids so it will need to suit them.

Cheers
    Whereabouts in Arklow are you moving from?
    Glen Aobhinn and Sunset Avenue are in Riverchapel, right next door to Etchingham Heights, which isn't really as bad as it's painted and is quite a settled spot but there are some bad lots, as there are in virtually every spot you've mentioned.
    Of those you've mentioned in Gorey, I suppose if I had to choose, I'd pick Ramsgate. Nice place, well laid out, close to everything. Woodlands would probably be second choice followed by Clonattin and Newborough. Gorey, of course, has the benefit of secondary schools right on your doorstep if your kids are of that age, whereas Riverchapel has the beaches and nice walks and woods.
    You're not far away, so why not take the odd day out and scout around before the weather gets too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We had a look at all of those places today, Glen aoibhinn was the one that stood out for us,had a spin around etchingham and didn't look bad at all, was expecting Baghdad. My wife likes somewhere a bit further out (but a he'll of a lot cheaper) so its just a matter of persuasion now

Yeah, nice houses in Glen Aobhinn, selling for a song now compared to the Tiger years and plenty big enough for your family. Sunset Avenue are state of the art Eco houses, not sure what price they are now but they were big bucks in the beginning.
    If you decide on Riverchapel, I'd also have a look at the older part of Riverchapel Wood, opposite the RC church.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Yeah, nice houses in Glen Aobhinn, selling for a song now compared to the Tiger years and plenty big enough for your family. Sunset Avenue are state of the art Eco houses, not sure what price they are now but they were big bucks in the beginning.
    If you decide on Riverchapel, I'd also have a look at the older part of Riverchapel Wood, opposite the RC church.

We drove into sunset avenue, the spec on the houses is fairly high it's very attractive and the prices throughout the area are quite low.

We have our eye on another property as well (well I do, the wife is dead set against it) it's massive on loads of land but needs work done all for 25k more than the house in riverchapel

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag up somewhat of an old post but we are looking at 3 houses now, 2 of the areas we know and are happy with, the other is on Red Row in Courtown, up towards the church, can anyone let me know what its like, I've been down a few times and I presume for 7/8 months of the year, it's as dead as it had been when I've visited. What is it like during the summer months, cheers

hairyslug wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up somewhat of an old post but we are looking at 3 houses now, 2 of the areas we know and are happy with, the other is on Red Row in Courtown, up towards the church, can anyone let me know what its like, I've been down a few times and I presume for 7/8 months of the year, it's as dead as it had been when I've visited. What is it like during the summer months, cheers

Red Row is fine, it's a settled area. The only reservation might be the age of your children, it's a very busy road as it is the main artery between Gorey, Rivechapel, Ardamine and all.points south. Riverchapel is never dead, lots to do, the new Community Centre opened yesterday and that will house the local soccer and GAA clubs among other things. If you like a drink, I would choose the 19th in Courtown, the Taravie in Courtown or the Courtown Hotel, the rest are kips and best avoided althoughAmbrose Moloney's does have music if that's your thing.
    Riverchapel/Courtown/Gorey are very busy places in summer, especially July/August but generally trouble free.

Advertisement