Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey

Options
  • 16-09-2015 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

looking for any advise or help anyone has, I'm from bray co Wicklow looking at moving to gorey co Wexford, I will be comuting to work in bray as I work full time, does anyone know how much time it will take..? How much roughly it will cost yearly on fuel...? Is gorey a nice place to live...? Anyone that has made this move, is it worth it...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057371202

Motorway all the way to Dublin now so commute times are shorter.About 30 mins or so to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

zerks wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057371202

Motorway all the way to Dublin now so commute times are shorter.About 30 mins or so to Bray.

Love your optimism zerks but it very much depends on what time your commute is, the weather and the time of year. It took me nearly twenty minutes to get from the Greystones exit to Kilmacanogue one morning, Kilmacanogue to Loughlinstown can be easily another ten, but I suppose OP wouldn't be going that far.
    Not sure which part of Bray the OP is travelling to but I'd imagine travelling toward the town centre via either Killarney Road or Vevay Road is a bit of a nightmare at rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Flynner101

It would be bray town to Gorey, hopefully it would be 30mins, don't mind that commute but your right traffic is madness around the town and is only gonna get worse in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Flynner101 wrote: »
    It would be bray town to Gorey, hopefully it would be 30mins, don't mind that commute but your right traffic is madness around the town and is only gonna get worse in years to come

You could consider getting the train from Gorey or driving to Greystones and getting the dart. The train to Bray would be good except that you would be limited to the timetable whereas the Greystoned option would offer better flexibility because of the frequency of the dart. I don't know, though, what parking would be like there.
    The drive, if you leave early to avoid the traffic, would realistically take you 45 minutes door to door if you don't put the boot down but obviously there are people who do it quicker (30/35 minutes plus penalty points)
    Depending on your car, allowing 45/50mpg, it will cost you in the region of €55 a week in diesel plus servicing costs for the wear and tear. You could probably do it for a bit less depending on your driving habits.
    I don't know what time you would need to leave to avoid the traffic but I leave at 5.30/5.45 to get a free run to the northside of Dublin and it takes 70 minutes. If I leave at 7 it will take nearly 2 hours. If there is an accident (even a minor one) anywhere along the line it can really mess things up.
    Travelling to Bray wouldn't need such an early start and you could experiment with using different exits off the N11 to see which offers the easiest route to Bray town. If your job allows for flexitime then it would be a good run if you start and finish early to avoid the traffic. Otherwise just relax with the paper and a cup of coffee before work. That's what I do and it's far less stressful than dealing with backlogs of traffic. Glen of the Downs can be difficult if you arrive there too late.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Flynner101 wrote: »
    looking for any advise or help anyone has, I'm from bray co Wicklow looking at moving to gorey co Wexford, I will be comuting to work in bray as I work full time, does anyone know how much time it will take..? How much roughly it will cost yearly on fuel...? Is gorey a nice place to live...? Anyone that has made this move, is it worth it...?

Born and bred outside the town, and without sounding like a tourist board, I would recommend it as a nice place to live. Can get to Dublin in 50 mins without too much difficulty so long as you do what other posters suggested and allow for traffic congestion.

Numerous decent restaurants in the town, good nightlife for a town of it's size. Close to the local beaches and still within arm-length of Wexford town, Carlow, Dublin, Kilkenny for day excursions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

I have been doing gorey town to bray town for a few years now.

45/50 minutes door to door during school holidays

55/60 minutes door to door outside school holidays

I drive a diesel now which costs about €11 a day, I previously had a petrol which cost nearly €14 a day. So it depends on the car. That distance will also leave you requiring around 2 services per year.

The train takes about 1Hr 15 min, and when you count in the walk to the train, waiting for train, walking at the other end. It can take between 1hr 45 and 2 hr for your journey, each way. And sept - may you could be standing as far as wicklow on the way home sometimes. Plus the fact that if you are not a regular commuter and using a tax saver ticket, it's nearly €20 return for the day.

Gorey is a nice place to live - it has been good for my family. However, the discussion of should we move back to bray comes up frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Love your optimism zerks but it very much depends on what time your commute is, the weather and the time of year. It took me nearly twenty minutes to get from the Greystones exit to Kilmacanogue one morning, Kilmacanogue to Loughlinstown can be easily another ten, but I suppose OP wouldn't be going that far.
    Not sure which part of Bray the OP is travelling to but I'd imagine travelling toward the town centre via either Killarney Road or Vevay Road is a bit of a nightmare at rush hour.

I suppose I'm usually lucky and avoid the rush hour traffic but the new road is a Godsend,gone are the days of crawling along as you hit the end of the Rathnew Bypass or the traffic coming to a standstill at the Beehive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

zerks wrote: »
    I suppose I'm usually lucky and avoid the rush hour traffic but the new road is a Godsend,gone are the days of crawling along as you hit the end of the Rathnew Bypass or the traffic coming to a standstill at the Beehive.
    Absolutely, provided your destination is south of Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I do Coolgreany to Bray southern cross in 40 minutes +5 minutes if traffic at Kilmac is bad (which it can be most mornings). That's going the speed limit all the way leaving at 06:45.

I drive a 1.8 diesel and get about 1200kms out of 1 tank which costs about 80 - 85 quid to fill currently. 120km round trip so about 10 days of just driving to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Old thread I know apologies, and a very weird question to boot, but is there any working public water wells in around Gorey, close enough to the town (Ballycanew direction)? Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement