Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended Floor Insulation or Pour Concrete?

Options
  • 01-10-2015 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

Just purchased my first house. Its a 3 bed bungalow with suspended floors built approx 1950's.

House was lived in until aprrox 1 month ago but needs modernisation.

First thing I want to sort is floor insulation.

So ive two options either lift, insulate and replace the suspended floor. Or do I get rid of the suspended floor and pour concrete (possibly room by room).

Anyone got any advice as what to do? Id rather pour concrete but its just depending on budget but if replacing suspended floor is going to cost similar ill just pour. All work is being carried out by myself and friends of mine in trades so its just cost of materials no labour.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You'd have a heavy weight in a concrete floor and would want to be sure you have a fairly decent bearing under otherwise the weight could shift existing walls. On one project we removed a suspended timber floor and had to put in mini piles to support a new concrete slab. To be fair the house was older than yours, had poor existing foundations and the ground was bog like. I'd get someone to check for you to make sure and not just presume you can replace one for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Eoghan89

Dudda wrote: »
    You'd have a heavy weight in a concrete floor and would want to be sure you have a fairly decent bearing under otherwise the weight could shift existing walls. On one project we removed a suspended timber floor and had to put in mini piles to support a new concrete slab. To be fair the house was older than yours, had poor existing foundations and the ground was bog like. I'd get someone to check for you to make sure and not just presume you can replace one for the other.

Have surveyor out on the 14th.

Might be a issue as you say as few cracks on walls which looks to be from structural movement.

Another point i didnt consider.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Question what is your time line to move in? And how much work do you intend on doing yourself?

Pros: concrete means no underfloor vents. So better thermal continuity. Easier to ensure air-tightness.
    Cons: Concrete = higher co2 due to embodied energy of material. concrete doesn't dry in winter. More expensive than timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sinnyoggy

Hi,
    I am at i similar project myself at the moment, i have the rooms cleared of all timbers, ready to put in 804 this saturday. My rooms are divided off in sections by concrete roughly 20inches high. I have some pictures but cant post them.

Im curious as to what you say about concrete not drying brian.

I was thinking of maybe goin 804, DPC, insulation board then concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Eoghan89

Use insulated board around the walls is what ive been told keeps the damp away.

Did you divide the rooms off yourself? Or where they divided already? I haven't started yet still waiting on building surveyor to look at house next week so its holding up things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Eoghan89 wrote: »
    Use insulated board around the walls is what ive been told keeps the damp away.

Did you divide the rooms off yourself? Or where they divided already? I haven't started yet still waiting on building surveyor to look at house next week so its holding up things.
    Sinnyoggy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am at i similar project myself at the moment, i have the rooms cleared of all timbers, ready to put in 804 this saturday. My rooms are divided off in sections by concrete roughly 20inches high. I have some pictures but cant post them.

Im curious as to what you say about concrete not drying brian.

I was thinking of maybe goin 804, DPC, insulation board then concrete.
    What age is the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sinnyoggy

Im not sure how old exactly, i will find out.

On a rough guess i said its around 60 or 70 years old.

The concrete supports were already under the floors when i lifted them. In a way they are an advantage for my levels when putting in the filling etc.

As regard my earlier question about the concrete, would it be madness to put in 804, dpc, then put in treated joists sitting on the concrete supports already in place, insulate in between using 150mm insulated board, then new timber flooring?

Logistically its gonna be tough getting the 804 in, (ive 14inches depth in 1 room, furthest point from 804 of course), ill have the same battle when the concrete arrives. So would consider the timber again if i could, it would look good aswell as be much handier install.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement