Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Saucony Triumph for Marathon

Options
  • 06-08-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Last year I wore Saucony Triumphs for the marathon with no issues. Over the last few months I've been alternating between racing flats for races (saucony fastwitch), Saucony Kinvaras (training) and the triumphs for other training runs.
    For this years marathon I'm looking for a lighter shoe than the Triumph but yet more cushioning than a racing flat etc. I'm open to trying any brands. Any suggestions?
    I did read somewhere about the Brooks pure connect, anyone ever try these? Again I'm looking for a light shoe, with heel to toe drop of 4-8mm. All advice welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

The Brooks Racer St5 is a great shoe. Light but still supportive. I wore them for the Waterford Marathon in June. Was delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Bahanaman wrote: »
    The Brooks Racer St5 is a great shoe. Light but still supportive. I wore them for the Waterford Marathon in June. Was delighted with them.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do some research on them. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

I do love Boards, I was going to start new thread regarding Saucony Triumphs, and did a search and found this one, brilliant.

I am running on Saucony triumph 10's, i had Asics gel-pulse 5's before. I want to get a new pair, to break in slowly, and to have on standby for Dublin Marathon, and am wondering is there a better shoe than Triumph 11?
    Overall Saucony seem to be a good light trainer, I have heard a number of people moaning about their toes coming out through them, and that they easily tear, maybe thats the compromise for having them so light, also they visibly wear out quicker than Asics.

Asics are probably heavier, and not as sexy as Saucony, but are well made, and I never had a problem with them.

I am a neutral Runner, and do about 60/70km a week, aiming for 3:20 in Dublin, (dont know if that has any bearing on shoe selection)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I do love Boards, I was going to start new thread regarding Saucony Triumphs, and did a search and found this one, brilliant.

I am running on Saucony triumph 10's, i had Asics gel-pulse 5's before. I want to get a new pair, to break in slowly, and to have on standby for Dublin Marathon, and am wondering is there a better shoe than Triumph 11?
    Overall Saucony seem to be a good light trainer, I have heard a number of people moaning about their toes coming out through them, and that they easily tear, maybe thats the compromise for having them so light, also they visibly wear out quicker than Asics.

Asics are probably heavier, and not as sexy as Saucony, but are well made, and I never had a problem with them.

I am a neutral Runner, and do about 60/70km a week, aiming for 3:20 in Dublin, (dont know if that has any bearing on shoe selection)

If you liked the Triumph 10 then the Ride 7 is the next best thing from Saucony.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

AKW would you recommend wearing Kinvaras for marathon? Since my original post I've done all my long runs in them (18, 2 *20) with no issues.

• Advertisement

DOCO12 wrote: »
    AKW would you recommend wearing Kinvaras for marathon? Since my original post I've done all my long runs in them (18, 2 *20) with no issues.

See no reason why not. You've the back broken on the distance.

AKW wrote: »
    If you liked the Triumph 10 then the Ride 7 is the next best thing from Saucony.[/quote

What's the big advantages of ride 7s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rainrunner

Glad I stumbled on this tread also. I use Triumphs for lot of my running, love them but was finding them a little heavy on the long runs. I tried the brooks racer ST5, these are great but think they are a little minimalist for the marathon ( Im a big lad at 14.5 stone.!) found my feet very sore after 15 miles or so.!

I'm a neutral runner. Looking at the sacouny Cortana or the Asics DS trainer as my marathon shoe. any advice would really be appreciated!

AKW wrote: »
    If you liked the Triumph 10 then the Ride 7 is the next best thing from Saucony.[/quote

What's the big advantages of ride 7s ?

IMO its got all the best bits of the Triumph plus some new developments of its own and generally is a little bit less expensive.

Feedback has been really good on the shoes.

Thanks all for advice. I got ride 7's. lovely trainer, light and comfortable, will have about 80k on them before Dcm, so well broke in for the big one

• Advertisement
Advertisement