Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Mesa Source Release Date Announced!!

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just started it there a while ago. Hadn't played HL or HL2 before despite owning a copy of the Orange Box. Haven't progressed very far yet, but it seems addictive. Stuck at the
    exploding pig/dog thing
    . Have only tried it 4 times but it is still frustrating as I've made zero progress in those attempts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I have an album with a few funny screenshots here

Just one or two for flavour (click on the album link for full res)

The Gman
    b5LScl.jpg

Pics of Richard Feynman (physicist) and Hedy Lamarr (must be kleiner's office)
    ICaHol.jpg

If you throw anything at a guard you get a command reminiscent of HL2
    cpCg4l.jpg

oy9OQl.jpg

Little things like the way the glass breaks are cool
    UxmObl.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like at the start you can see gman talking ina room cant you and they shut the blinds when they notice you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

OSI wrote: »
    Anyone else spotted the Chuckle Brothers mugs lying around? :p
    Yeah, mentioned it on the last page. Such an odd addition. Made me chuckle........ :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yeah, mentioned it on the last page. Such an odd addition. Made me chuckle........ :rolleyes:

There's also a Douglas Adams reference:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97110564

Feck me this game is great! Such great character and weapon animation. Really captures the original wonderfully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The attention to detail is absolutely staggering. I'm finding it a bit sluggish but it is free. It would be nice if you didn't have to crouch for every single jump.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The marines are too accurate and too quick to open fire. They also shouldn't spot you so quickly in some situations but I don't remember how that was in the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Where's the best place to download this? The links on the site are saying it'll take a day to download. I have a real debrid account so if I could find a single link download on one of the major storage sites like rapidshare I should be able to get a good download speed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I doubt you'll find a single link download from a storage site, as it's around a 3gb download. Most of the ones i've seen (and the one i used) was 5 or so links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I used Utorrent. Is that an option for you? you can get the a link for it on the black mesa website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Torrent had it in less than an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Now that it's been out a while there are quite a few copies of it appearing on storage sites though no single links (smallest was 2 links on RS).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I usually avoid torrents, I guess i'll just go about it the long winded way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

ScumLord wrote: »

I think they make a lot of sense for this sort of release. The community provide the bandwidth for the download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ScumLord wrote: »

If you have a client already there's really no reason not to torrent this. It's completely legit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dunno maybe he thinks they are awkward?

Mine was done in half an hour on release day though on torrent, was sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Torrent for sure. Mine was done in about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The fileshack one didn't take too long and that was on release day. I'd suggest you to use a browser like opera if your connection is slow as it will allow you to resume downloads (won't work on some download sites with limits as the links change). Opera has a built in torrent downloader as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just finished it there earlier this evening; I'd actually be happy to leave it now & not bother with the Xen portion when it comes out; no point spoiling the experience. That said, whilst Xen gets the most ire from people, Black Mesa reminded me that the game had already fecked me right off before then, specifically the Lambda Core portion. Even with BMs tidy re imaginings, that area is a nightmare of awful jumping and hopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

so much hate for the jumping in half life...

I actually liked the jumping mechanics in half life, it really brought a lot to the environment I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What's with people hating on loading screens? It's either that or minute long, unskippable cutscenes. (Or an engine with level streaming, but shush)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bit random but does anyone else really enjoy the sound effects and feel of the handgun?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    so much hate for the jumping in half life...

I actually liked the jumping mechanics in half life, it really brought a lot to the environment I thought.

I should probably clarify: what drove me nuts was that so many jumps demanded the classic crouch-jump method from HL1. It had its time & tbh it's a wonder I managed to play the origin in the first place; it also feels doubly incongruous against the backdrop of Black Mesa, with it's more convincing architecture & environments. They could have kept most of the jumping maps, just not insisted that you crouch-jump - it's so bloody counter-intuitive.
    Bit random but does anyone else really enjoy the sound effects and feel of the handgun?

No, I agree the sound design was excellent throughout, really helped the atmosphere both before and after the accident by using lots of little ambient sounds & repsonses.

I should probably clarify: what drove me nuts was that so many jumps demanded the classic crouch-jump method from HL1. It had its time & tbh it's a wonder I managed to play the origin in the first place; it also feels doubly incongruous against the backdrop of Black Mesa, with it's more convincing architecture & environments. They could have kept most of the jumping maps, just not insisted that you crouch-jump - it's so bloody counter-intuitive.

Heh I still crouch jump in any pc fps I play today out of habit. That never bothered me as mechanic.

I still do it in BF3 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Still playing through this at the moment though I keep taking breaks once I get to the jumping parts,
    currently at part where you jump through those compressors
    , as finding some quite annoying.

When doing long range jumps do you need to crouch-jump or just sprint jump?
    I don't mind the crouch-jumping mechanic to get to higher places and like BlitzKrieg I still use is games today but it's a running crouch-jump which is causing my frustration.

Also only now after realizing you can get on and off ladders by pressing the "use" key! It wasn't like that in the original was it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Still playing through this at the moment though I keep taking breaks once I get to the jumping parts,

When doing long range jumps do you need to crouch-jump or just sprint jump?
    I don't mind the crouch-jumping mechanic to get to higher places and like BlitzKrieg I still use is games today but it's a running crouch-jump which is causing my frustration.

Also only now after realizing you can get on and off ladders by pressing the "use" key! It wasn't like that in the original was it??
    You can?? Ah balls, I would have saved myself MANY broken legs if I had have known that.

Careful they can be bugged and you may need to reload an earlier save before you turned them on. I got stuck there for hours on the 2nd set and gave up when it seemed impossible and looked online. Got told the timing can get bugged and reloaded it to just before I entered the room and I got through it all in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The platform parts as above are my only gripe. Aside from that it's very good.

I like how there is nothing to indicate where I am meant to go, leaving you to figure it out for yourself. Makes you feel smart again, valve are one of the only companies who can do that in their FPS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Advertisement