Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ign Top 100 rpg games

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

EDIT:

Never mind, I only saw that it was RPG only now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Seems an odd rating system. Final Fantasy, though hugely important to the genre and a massive influence on almost everything that followed for years is in no way better than the other FF games they have it ahead of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Seems an odd rating system. Final Fantasy, though hugely important to the genre and a massive influence on almost everything that followed for years is in no way better than the other FF games they have it ahead of.

I suppose they're considering the long term effects of the game in that it saved Squaresoft from bankruptcy (hence the title) and enabled them to continue on to produce the classic FFs we're all so fond of.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF might seem to be a huge innovator and influence for the genre but if you look at it from a japanese perspective FF was always playing catch up with Dragon Quest. I found the early FF games especially the ones with jobs were trying to emulate what Dragon Quest 2-4 did with their excellent job and class systems, only really nailing it with FF5. Even FF6 was a reaction to DQ5 and Phantasy Star 4 and their superb narratives which FF6 took a good stab at and didn't reach. FF just seems like an innovator because the only DQ game before it was DQ1 in america and stuff like Phantasy Star, a much better game released a few days before FF, went ignored. The DQ games were way more advanced by the time each FF came out.

It wasn't until FFVII when DQVII was in development hell that FF really became a trend setter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Seems like they went with the populist vote with FFVI. As in, most popular RPG series and probably the most liked game in that series, at least in recent times. There are a lot of titles I'd place above it and like someone else said SMT:Nocturne/Lucifer's Call is a very obvious omission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

cant believe they went through that list without putting Arcanum on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why are there no Zelda games, particularly Zelda II which has an experience points level up system?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why are there no Zelda games, particularly Zelda II which has an experience points level up system?

The Zelda games aren't RPGs, well except for zelda 2 which to be honest isn't that good.

I'm surprised about Mass Effect 3 not making the list, when ME1 and ME2 are there.

Advertisement