Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The reason I asked was because of the notice up on the lof site since yesterday.
    Seems the FAPL are doing their best to make it as difficult as possible. Fewer and fewer Saturday 3pms televised and if they are, native commentary only.

I cant understand why we in Ireland cant buy a season ticket to all Arsenal matches on tv. I'd happily (stupidly) pay a very substantial sum of money for this, and it wouldnt stop me making the normal 2 or 3 trips over.

Well, i do know, Sky.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    as for gotze...'

I really cant see us signing Götze.
    Would be great, but realistically speaking, I think there's two chances.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The reason I asked was because of the notice up on the lof site since yesterday.
    Seems the FAPL are doing their best to make it as difficult as possible. Fewer and fewer Saturday 3pms televised and if they are, native commentary only.

I cant understand why we in Ireland cant buy a season ticket to all Arsenal matches on tv. I'd happily (stupidly) pay a very substantial sum of money for this, and it wouldnt stop me making the normal 2 or 3 trips over.

Well, i do know, Sky.

The PL are saying it's to get more people to go to games, that's why they don't sell the rights to UK broadcasters for them games. but sky couldn't be happy that the foreign satellites are allowed in the UK and probably have something to do with it

I don't think as arsenal fan's we'd be too put out by this, if they're playing at 3 on a sat. that'd be one of the matches shown in other countries & therefore on them sites, same for any fan of the top 6 sides.
    It's only the 3pm sat. games that this effects so there aren't going to be many - if any - w'kends in the season where all the big teams are playing at that time and they'll have to make a choice on which games to show

This only applies to europe as well & FSS has fox soccer on it & as well as various setanta's and other channels from english speaking countries so i'd say the sites will get around it some way, FSS look better setup than LOF to handle this + they say there adding more channels and will show at least 3 games at 3pm on a sat.
    even if you could see the game the commentary wouldn't be the most important as you'd probably get english commentary from a radio station or somewhere online

I really cant see us signing Götze.
    Would be great, but realistically speaking, I think there's two chances.....

are they slim & none

I don't think as arsenal fan's we'd be too put out by this, if they're playing at 3 on a sat. that'd be one of the matches shown in other countries & therefore on them sites

are they slim & none

Thats a good point.
    We've only 3 Saturday 3pms left as far as i can see.
    Nothing to worry about so really.
    Probably more the likes of aston villa v fulham that'll get the axe.

They are slim and none.
    Im not overly pessimistic.
    I just think, looking at it logically, the stories are bullshiit.
    Would we get him for that price? Would we spend that money? Would he pick us over all the others in for him? Three no's if im honest with myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hahahaha reading this RVP story in tears of laughter. Not a hope!!

Isn't the legally impossible for him to sign a (pre-) contract with City until he has less than 9 months left on his current contract?

I could see through it if we was actually INTO his last year of his contract, but he's contracted to Summer 2013...isn't is usually around the turn of NEXT year that clubs could offer him a pre-contract?!
    Is it not six months? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Would we get him for that price? Would we spend that money? Would he pick us over all the others in for him? Three no's if im honest with myself.

Call me deluded if you want but:

I think we can get him at that price, look at how much Özil went for and he was just off the back of a very good world cup display too.

While im not too sure if we'd spent that kind of cash on a player yet. I do think it is within the realms of possibility.

Why would he not want to come to us, Arsenal has the worldwide rep of playing young player wether they're ready or not. Granted Gotze is alread a class act, but is he ready to walk into the first team at real, barca, etc...? IMO he's not there yet. Annoying as it is to say I'd imagine he would see us as a fantastic place to play high level footie and gain experience for a few years before moving on to barca or madrid.

That would be the way i see things anyway.

Call me deluded if you want but:

I think we can get him at that price, look at how much Özil went for and he was just off the back of a very good world cup display too.

While im not too sure if we'd spent that kind of cash on a player yet. I do think it is within the realms of possibility.

Why would he not want to come to us, Arsenal has the worldwide rep of playing young player wether they're ready or not. Granted Gotze is alread a class act, but is he ready to walk into the first team at real, barca, etc...? IMO he's not there yet. Annoying as it is to say I'd imagine he would see us as a fantastic place to play high level footie and gain experience for a few years before moving on to barca or madrid.

That would be the way i see things anyway.

Maybe he would come to us.
    But he is already in a great young team.

I just cant see us spending that money even if it were enough to prize him away.

I will happily eat my words in 3-4 months. Nyom nyom nyom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I don't think that applies to players moving within England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So City lose two in a row? That'll learn 'em to talk about van Persie! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They are pathetic to be honest. Spent all that money too. They are in a title race and all they can do is talk about Van Persie. What eejits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

KeithAFC wrote: »
    They are pathetic to be honest. Spent all that money too. They are in a title race and all they can do is talk about Van Persie. What eejits.
    Poor Samir Nasri.

What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

you usually seem level headed enough so i can't understand how you or anyone else doesn't think that this could possibly happen, i also think he'll stay at the club or even be made stay but wouldn't be 100% surprised if he left either but would be a bit shocked if it was city

this sort of talk will only start picking up from now on too unless he signs. as for the pre-contract, like yourself, i've only really heard of them being signed in the january before the contract is up but this is on wiki & there's been talk of neymar signing for real/barca on a pre-contract but don't know how long he's got on his
    In all honesty, it might be just fear. Whatever about Cesc and Nasri and Adebayor and Touré and Clichy...if RVP left I'd be a broken fan :pac:

I have to hold onto hope, I suppose? FWIW, I know this could happen. I'm not that naïve. As for the post you quoted..whatever about him signing in future, I KNOW he hasn't signed already, nor will he anytime soon. I just found it funny that it was reported as a done deal.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Could well be, but it's certainly not 15 anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Feels so weird wanting United to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Galvasean wrote: »

I don't.

Not did I ever want them to win it ahead of Chelsea either.

If they Taliban were challenging United for the title, I'd support the greatest team that Kabul has ever seen.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

meriwether wrote: »
    I don't.

Not did I ever want them to win it ahead of Chelsea either.

If they Taliban were challenging United for the title, I'd support the greatest team that Kabul has ever seen.

Yea, gotta be honest would rather see city win it.

You can't possibly want United to win, surely? City haven't really done anything to us except overpay for a few players. United are United. The only time I don't want them getting hammered is when they face spurs. In that case I want red cards and injuries galore for both sides! Whoever I want to win depends on where we are.

I have nothing really against City, but, I'm sure that will quickly change if they maintain their position as title contenders for the next few seasons at least. But now, I'd much rather City.

As much as i dislike United, I hate City and everything about them and everything they represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Arsenal is the only club in the league that is run in a sustainable manner. City,Chelsea even tottenham, liverpool and united, they can't go on indefinitley the way they are. .

This seems a good place to point out, united are actually one of the best, and most profitably run football clubs in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

meriwether wrote: »
    Poor Samir Nasri.
    **** him. Just out of interest has he done anything at City or shall I add him to my list of players who are ****ing useless once they leave Arsenal? How's Clichy getting on?
    Same here. Still, mostly know Liverpool fans so cheering for United winds them up which softens the blow. Also if City can be denied the title this season and next then FFP comes in they'll never do it. Would be a nice historical lesson, see them liquidised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

kryogen wrote: »
    This seems a good place to point out, united are actually one of the best, and most profitably run football clubs in the world.

huge fan base, but with 700million (last i heard) in debt and building, not very profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

amacachi wrote: »
    **** him. Just out of interest has he done anything at City or shall I add him to my list of players who are ****ing useless once they leave Arsenal? How's Clichy getting on?

Same here. Still, mostly know Liverpool fans so cheering for United winds them up which softens the blow. Also if City can be denied the title this season and next then FFP comes in they'll never do it. Would be a nice historical lesson, see them liquidised.

Clichy seems to have learned how to cross since he left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I absolutely hate United, I just hate City even more which I never thought was possible, I may be bitter but I don't want Nasri and the likes to win anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

amacachi wrote: »

Nasri hasnt been to playing too badly, he's been used in a different position than what he did at arsenal. One season at City he's nearly matched his assists record that he did 3 years at Arsenal though he takes a lot of their set pieces.

12111111.jpg

As for Clichy, he has improved his crossing, he's playing well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Nasri started pretty well but hes been muck the last few months.

Clichy is playing well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Have the feeling you're in the minority there pal. I hate United more than any other team, and its not even close. I never want to see them win, even when they play Spurs. Fair enough I preferred them to beat Spurs last week, but only after City had won first.

I dont like United by any means but they might do Arsenal a big favour by winning the league. if RVP sees City having failed to win a trophy despite all the money they have spent then he may not be inclined to leave for them. Just a theory. It could be a long shot. of course we cant discount Real Madrid or Barca from finding RVP Madrid or Catalan DNA respectively either.

Nope, I abhor City and their fans. More than United at the moment.

\edited: Of course Sp*rs are still enemy #1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Rosicky has signed a new contract I think, least thats what I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nah, I want United to win the league too.

Part of it is pragmatism, part of it is bitterness, and part of it is a grudging respect for United.

The pragmatism is that if the FFP does make a genuine difference, then the less successful City are in this interim period, the sooner it'll be that they fall back to earth.  If the FFP doesn't change things, then it's irrelevant to us anyway.

The bitterness is sort of a transference from Chelsea, as apart from overpaying on a couple of our supporting cast, City haven't really done a whole lot to us.  They're the new Chelsea though and Roman Abramovich's mid life crisis has done more to screw us over over the past few years than anything else.  A lot of people at the club have poured their guts into their work over the last few years and much of that has been ruined by the Russian's desire to play real life championship manager.  It shouldn't be that way and hopefully it won't be anymore. 

Also, it'll be a lot of fun to laugh at Nasri if they don't win the league.

Lastly I do respect United.  May loathe them at times but they do a lot of stuff the right way.  Also, the realisation that I'm fond of Gary Neville as a pundit has made me question a lot of things...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement