Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cycling Books Thread - Discussion, Reviews, Recommendations Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pretty much going from one cycling book to another in my (sporadic) reading.

Finished Hunger - thought it was good, but regretted getting the paler back, assuming there were more photos in the hard back.

Really enjoyed Eddy Merckx - The Cannibal by Daniel Friebe. Going to go for half man half bike soon I think.

Currently reading Reckless - The Life and Times of Luis Ocana. Also recommend it.

Have The Monuments already purchased on Google Books, and picked up an actual book copy of 101 Damnations by ned boulting which was going cheap at a discount book shop I was passing the other week.

There really is some quality cycling books out there at the moment. Really want to get hold of Race Against The Stasi (not convinced it would suit an eBook) and really looking forward to Daniel Friebe's Jan Ullrich book that he's working on (which maybe next year I guess as that will be the anniversary of his tour win)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Pretty much going from one cycling book to another in my (sporadic) reading.

Finished Hunger - thought it was good, but regretted getting the paler back, assuming there were more photos in the hard back.

Really enjoyed Eddy Merckx - The Cannibal by Daniel Friebe. Going to go for half man half bike soon I think.

Currently reading Reckless - The Life and Times of Luis Ocana. Also recommend it.

Have The Monuments already purchased on Google Books, and picked up an actual book copy of 101 Damnations by ned boulting which was going cheap at a discount book shop I was passing the other week.

There really is some quality cycling books out there at the moment. Really want to get hold of Race Against The Stasi (not convinced it would suit an eBook) and really looking forward to Daniel Friebe's Jan Ullrich book that he's working on (which maybe next year I guess as that will be the anniversary of his tour win)
    Just wondering where you saw 101 Damnations on discount please, being a fellow Wicklownian...

ckeego wrote: »
    Just wondering where you saw 101 Damnations on discount please, being a fellow Wicklownian...
    Killarney whilst on a business trip killing time before the train back! I think it was one of the book station shops though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

G1032 wrote: »
    Currently reading 'Lanterne Rouge - The Last Man in the Tour de France' by Max Leonard.
    Very entertaining. Some great stories in it.

just finished it last month myself. enjoyed it very much. Also just finished Fignon's autobiography. A good read too, very frank and I'd say mostly honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Plenty of holiday reading coming up!

51W2myGTRSL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

9781472913050.jpg

9781937715496-us.jpg

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Any good mountain biking book recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ptr_84

Looking forward to "the end of the road". I find both Alistair and William Fotheringham's books to be excellent....plus I'm a massive pantani fan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

hope that jan ullrich book will be a good read, friebe was saying very little about it or its contents on the cycling podcasts, but may have contributions from lance armstrong in it. Its not out till June 2017 though according to the amazon pre order

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Kindle edition is released 16th June this year.
    Hardback edition next year I think.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

neris wrote: »
    hope that jan ullrich book will be a good read, friebe was saying very little about it or its contents on the cycling podcasts, but may have contributions from lance armstrong in it. Its not out till June 2017 though according to the amazon pre order

he spent time in germany to work on it so sounds like the work is going in. He has been loving the di luca book which is only in italian right now but is by all accounts a crazy story of cycling for italians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just started reading it myself - happy to give it a +1

It's not bad. Few good chapters, a few boring ones. Liked the Jacky Durand chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

The rider by Tim krabbe. A Dutch Novel translated into English based on the thoughts of a racing cyclist during a race. Well well well worth a read.

furiousox wrote: »
    It was available on Google Play Books for pre-order for the 16th too (I ordered it after seeing the post).

furiousox wrote: »

I,ll wait for the paperback cant get into reading books off a device. Did order the Fotherington book though yesterday

Recent reads:
    Very good:' the Invisible Mile' inspired by first English speaking team of 5 in a pre-war Tour de France.

Not bad: 'Lantern Rouge'

Barely average: Cavendish 'at Speed'

Worst book I have ever read and only cycling book I refused to finish:
    'Chris Boardman's Autobiography'
    It's a pity because I am a big CB fan. It's worse than some of the really bad footballer/celebrity autobiographies.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I found this to be a very good read.

What_Goes_Around_-_Emily_Chappell_-_cover.0.jpg

Anyone familiar with London would, I'm sure, get more from it, being familiar with the routes mentioned.

I'm not familiar with London, but being someone who cycles in the city every day, I found plenty to relate to.

Heres the guardian's review;

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jan/11/what-goes-around-london-cycle-couriers-story-emily-chappell-review

Im reading the end of the road at the moment. Been reading it for weeks now and its a book i just cant get into. Ive put it down for days and nearly forget about it. Still got a hundred odd pages to go

Doc07 wrote: »
    Worst book I have ever read and only cycling book I refused to finish:
    'Chris Boardman's Autobiography'
    It's a pity because I am a big CB fan. It's worse than some of the really bad footballer/celebrity autobiographies.
    Disappointed to see that, as it was next on the list! Also, I pre-ordered Friebes Jan Ullrich biography, but the order was cancelled.

Most recent acquisition is "A Man for All Seasons" which turned up in the Parish Hall book sale. Haven't actually read it yet, but it filled in the picture blanks from my paperback version of Hunger!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

I haven't seen this mentioned here......

The Rás - The Story of Ireland's Unique Bike Race by Tom Daly

It was lent to me by a fellow boardsie. It's a really super read.

http://www.collinspress.ie/the-ras.html

392746.jpg

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Disappointed to see that, as it was next on the list! Also, I pre-ordered Friebes Jan Ullrich biography, but the order was cancelled.

Most recent acquisition is "A Man for All Seasons" which turned up in the Parish Hall book sale. Haven't actually read it yet, but it filled in the picture blanks from my paperback version of Hunger!

Sorry, it's just rubbish. I'm not cynical just for the sake of it or to be cool and I will give most things an honest try but the CB book was crap on a new level.

I will also try and get Ulrichs when available. Would also line to read Danilo Di Luca's if it was translated to English.

• Advertisement

Old thread resurrection, but it's in the sticky so how and ever.

Just finished the new book about Greg LeMond, The Comeback.

Laurent Fignon features heavily. Has stuff about his cycling, feud with Lance, and his and Laurent's intertwined story.

I knew lots of it already, but well worth a read.

More to add here. Finally Read the Tom Simpson and Shea Elliot books. Both enjoyable. Read Tim Krabbé's The Rider. Strange, but enjoyable read and also read Ventoux, which is not so much about cycling as it is about the group of friends in the book. To be honest, it was an easy read, a bit saccharin at times, and just downright silly at others.

However, I have just finished Sex, Lies and Handlebar tape too about Jacques Anquetil. Twas an eye opener. Very interesting person, on and off the bike.

About to pick this up from the local library too which I'm looking forward to

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/riding-in-the-zone-rouge/

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

Weepsie wrote: »
    More to add here. Finally Read the Tom Simpson and Shea Elliot books. Both enjoyable. Read Tim Krabbé's The Rider. Strange, but enjoyable read and also read Ventoux, which is not so much about cycling as it is about the group of friends in the book. To be honest, it was an easy read, a bit saccharin at times, and just downright silly at others.

However, I have just finished Sex, Lies and Handlebar tape too about Jacques Anquetil. Twas an eye opener. Very interesting person, on and off the bike.

About to pick this up from the local library too which I'm looking forward to

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/riding-in-the-zone-rouge/

How was the Elliot book?

Raymzor wrote: »
    How was the Elliot book?

It was good, and pretty detailed about his actual cycling career as a lot of these books are. A while since I read it, so don't think it dug too far into his non cycling life, but it didn't have much to go on.

His life in France post cycling kind of unravelled a bit, and don't think he ever quite recovered.

Favourite cycling bios that I've read are the Anquiteil book, the Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali ones and We were young and care free (Fignon's autobiography)

Loved Lantern Rouge too.

On the hunt for a new book and never occurred to me to look for a cycling one. So I'll have a look and see if any of the ones mentioned here are on Audible, I've gotten back into audio books over the lockdown while out walking myself or the dog. Tried them on the bike but found I was getting distracted and missing too much detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

On the hunt for a new book and never occurred to me to look for a cycling one. So I'll have a look and see if any of the ones mentioned here are on Audible, I've gotten back into audio books over the lockdown while out walking myself or the dog. Tried them on the bike but found I was getting distracted and missing too much detail.

I agree with you. I’m not a fan of music/ buds when cycling due to safety concerns. There’s enough distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Raymzor wrote: »
    I agree with you. I’m not a fan of music/ buds when cycling due to safety concerns. There’s enough distractions.

I thought he meant detail in the book he was listening to...

cletus wrote: »
    I thought he meant detail in the book he was listening to...

Yeah thats what I meant, it's no different to listening to someone talking to you I can still hear quite ok but my attention is taken away shoulder checking and reading the junction ahead or what not that I'm not actually hearing the book ....ah we have a thread on this somewhere already I think.

Anyway, the rider is on Audible so I'm going to start that one, I previewed magic spanner and it's Carlton himself reading it ffs so no thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Rider is a great book, read it all in one go. I loved his stream of consciousness, his randomness, all the thoughts going through his head pretty much in real time during the race.

Mountain High is pure indulgence. The history and significance of so many amazing climbs, full of stunning photographs.

Draft Animals by Phil Gaimon. Follow up book to his "How to be a pro on $10a day ". He's a cocky smart ass, sometimes a little bit juvenile and he's definitely not afraid to call out dopers and dodgy characters. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I found myself laughing out loud several times reading it.

Slaying The Badger and Rough Ride, I read them back to back and there's a good bit of overlap but from the complete opposite ends of the peleton. Enjoyed them both immensely regardless of PKs negativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

Daroxtar wrote: »
    The Rider is a great book, read it all in one go. I loved his stream of consciousness, his randomness, all the thoughts going through his head pretty much in real time during the race.

+1. Great book.
    Also The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton.

Advertisement