Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 810 - planning route

Options
  • 25-10-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭

Received my 810 today, it's the performance pack without maps, ive downloaded opencyclemap on a microSD and it's showing that map now on the garmin so very impressive.

Has anyone here used opencyclemap on a garmin and created routes with directions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you create the maps on garmin connect, stava etc and load to the 810. Cant remember where i got my base map (THe one dc rainmaker recommneds) and I've had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks, mine is the one he recommended too, when you create the route in strava have you to create waypoints or is it just make the route and load to the device? Does it show on screen a message to turn / do you see arrows or is it just follow a coloured line on the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Being fairly new to Dublin, I use this feature a lot. We have our fights, my Edge810 and I, but we still love each other.

I use the OpenStreetMaps that DCRainMaker recommended. In your Activity Profile(s), disable the "recalculation" in the Navigation settings. Enable the "Course" training page (it'll only appear when you're navigating). I show four data fields in my Course page; Distance to Next, Speed, Cadence and Distance to End.

Create the routes on Garmin Connect or Strava, download the GPX file and put them into the Garmin's New Files directory. When the device boots it'll load the new files and put them in to the courses directory.

I do still have problems, where it'll say "Off Course" and just draw a line straight to my destination. But I calmly pull over to the side of the road and swear at it. Then I count how many junctions I have to cycle in a direction and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I use this feature on a 705 with open street maps loaded. I find Garmin connect maps OK on the website but when its transferred to the device there's a few errors where the 2 maps obviously don't agree or know what's going on (occurs more often on smaller / back roads).

Started using Gpsies.com where you can map the route using the same osm map data and haven't had a problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks guys - did my first cycle today with mapping and directions worked perfectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement