Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike fit

Options
  • 22-10-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Ok I am after buying a second hand bike, for project and indoor training and thing is I don't know how to transfer my pro bike fit measurements from other bikes onto it. Where do I start? The other bikes aren't all the same size one is 56 and other is 58 but adjustments were made on the 58 to make it the same as the 56 while ridding. My new bike is also 56. All road bikes btw.

I hooked bike onto turbo trainer and guessed approx how the bike fit should be basing it on how comfortable my position was while pedalling and trying to use my position normally on bike and apply it to new bike. I'm still not sure if I have got it right?

Any suggestions where to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Amprodude wrote: »
    Ok I am after buying a second hand bike, for project and indoor training and thing is I don't know how to transfer my pro bike fit measurements from other bikes onto it. Where do I start? The other bikes aren't all the same size one is 56 and other is 58 but adjustments were made on the 58 to make it the same as the 56 while ridding. My new bike is also 56. All road bikes btw.

I hooked bike onto turbo trainer and guessed approx how the bike fit should be basing it on how comfortable my position was while pedalling and trying to use my position normally on bike and apply it to new bike. I'm still not sure if I have got it right?

Any suggestions where to start?

All I can recommend is that you get a bike fitting done by Mr. Hammond - probably so far one of the best things I've spent my money on.

You will then get the proper advice on what each component should be in order to get the best riding position (frame size, bars width, stem length, seat post and saddle positioning, shoe cleats set up and your current level of fitness or physical limitations will be taken into account as well). Also the after sale support he provides is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Calculate the reach and stack from your existing measurements or your already set up bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If your old bike is set up perfect then it's just transferring measurements. Get a tape and level. First measure your bb to saddle height and set your new bike saddle to same. Then measure saddle setback (vertical level from bb to nose of saddle) and set new bike to same. Now take the level and measure the drop from saddle to bars. Remove or insert spacers under the stem on new bike to match. Then measure from tip of saddle to centre of bars. You might need to buy a new stem to suit the new bike. That's about all.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

Don't think this will help but I've found how I feel, comfort etc on the turbo to be very different of how I feel when cycling on the road with same setup..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If your old bike is set up perfect then it's just transferring measurements. Get a tape and level. First measure your bb to saddle height and set your new bike saddle to same. Then measure saddle setback (vertical level from bb to nose of saddle) and set new bike to same. Now take the level and measure the drop from saddle to bars. Remove or insert spacers under the stem on new bike to match. Then measure from tip of saddle to centre of bars. You might need to buy a new stem to suit the new bike. That's about all.

Do you apply same principle when transferring measurements from an aero bike to normal road bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Do you apply same principle when transferring measurements from an aero bike to normal road bike?

It would be the same method for transferring measurements from any bike but if the bikes have drastically different geometry then it would be much harder or in cases not possible to get the exact same result. When you say aero, do you mean a TT bike or just a road bike with areo profiles? TT bike would have completely different riding position so setting it up going on the measurements from your road bike would probably not work to well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Daroxtar wrote: »
    It would be the same method for transferring measurements from any bike but if the bikes have drastically different geometry then it would be much harder or in cases not possible to get the exact same result. When you say aero, do you mean a TT bike or just a road bike with areo profiles? TT bike would have completely different riding position so setting it up going on the measurements from your road bike would probably not work to well for you

road bike with aero profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

road bike with aero profiles.

I met my bike fitter to run various scenarios past him today, as you do. I was looking at comfort/race to race (as my bike is race, just out of interest)

The changes around the saddle height and position are mere mm's but the main change is at the front, via stem length. Basically to flatten you out more?

For me it was going from 110 to 115 The saddle went up 2mm and forward 1mm

But that was one of those computer program yokes.

I fully understand where Daroxtar is coming from. I think that based on the bike and what you are doing it is a bit like assuming the position that a runner does when in the blocks at the start of a sprint. More forward and powering "down/back"

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

omri wrote: »
    All I can recommend is that you get a bike fitting done by Mr. Hammond - probably so far one of the best things I've spent my money on.

You will then get the proper advice on what each component should be in order to get the best riding position (frame size, bars width, stem length, seat post and saddle positioning, shoe cleats set up and your current level of fitness or physical limitations will be taken into account as well). Also the after sale support he provides is very good too.

+1 on this. Best bike money I've spent was a visit to Aidan Hammond.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fazer1

I use a cross line laser available from most hardware stores. I set the bike up the turbo trainer that im comfortable on then take measurements. I then set up the second bike and use the laser and transfer measurement's from the first bike. I find using the laser makes the whole process easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fazer1

I use a cross line laser available from most hardware stores. I set the bike up the turbo trainer that im comfortable on then take measurements. I then set up the second bike and use the laser and transfer measurement's from the first bike. I find using the laser makes the whole process easy.

Advertisement