Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Core

• 31-03-2003 10:57am
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Ah, I've been looking forward to this for a while. I love dodgy sci-fi disaster movies where something utterly ridiculous happens and then an even more ridiculous plan is created to solve it.

The premise of the Core is that the Earths core has stopped spinning and this is causing all manners of strange and dangerous things to go on. If the core isn't restarted, natural disasters will escalate and humanity is doomed. So what do they do? Build a ship to travel to the centre of the earth and detonate nukes to start the core spinning again. What utterly fantastic lunacy!

Okay so some of the science was a bit ropey and I'm not even going to get started on the computer bits lest I start frothing at the mouth, but with a film like this you do need to give it alot of leeway.

The dialog was snappy enough with enough amusing lines to keep me amused through out. The characters interacted well enough even if they were a bit stereotypical.

Overall, I enjoyed it but it's not a movie everyone is going to like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Went to see it last night, and have to say that it wasnt too bad. Its defo a flic that you can just sit back and enjoy, and dont think think too much!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Extremely far-fetched, but good fun. Stanley Tucci stole the show and provided most of the humour (his last line is priceless!). Special effects above average (the destruction of
    Rome and San Francisco
    were very well done, but I get the impression that bits were cut out - maybe extras for the DVD?). Characters were good, but like Draco said, very clichéd. Having said that, you end up caring about them and caring about what happens to them.

Oh, and it has a great score too......

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

saw the add, and it really doesn't look like my cup of tea....
    that reminds me..... i'm going tp go make a fresh cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

ah but dave, it could happen! it really could......in the same way that everything that happened in armageddon could totally happen!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

I saw the trailer for the movie and it looked like crap!

A paticularly cheesy line was: The only way out, is in!

Oh, wow! With a line like that the movie must be great, the writers must be geniuses!

Excuse my sarcasm. I suppose I shouldn't judge seeing as I haven't seen it but I made the same prediction about Triple X. That was the worst movie I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

i gotta agree with xXx...maybe not THE worst....on the other hand nothing worse springs to mind!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by aine
    i gotta agree with xXx...maybe not THE worst....on the other hand nothing worse springs to mind!!!
    Pish and tosh

Off the top of my head (as they say):
    Fair Game, The Haunting, 13 Ghosts (original and remake)
    Or in action flick mode:
    Tomorrow Never Dies

That's before I even mention monstrosities like Police Academy 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Dire.

Turns out there are six extractor fans in the ceiling of the screen I saw it in. There's also six glass light fittings, a manky smudge in the middle of the screen, and the fantastic Dolby Surround kept switching to the front right speaker (solely) for one/two seconds every odd minute :mad:

The bit where
    they have 12 minutes before the end of their lives, and they're just sitting back waiting to die
    just made the whole script a joke IMO!

Billed as a thriller, more of a comedy really. Not a very funny one at that.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Saw it last week. Thought it was pretty good but yeah, it's instantly forgettable hokum. I also thought that smarmy scientist guy (I presume thats who Stanley Tucci plays) was great, it's nice to have someone who isn't willing to give up their life to save the world.
    I also thought the bit in
    giant crystal cave was great, especially when it begin to collapse all around them. The ending was pretty satisfying too, there was something oddly gratifying to see those dead people get the recognition for what they did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Early on in the film when I saw
    the space shuttle coming down
    , I knew I was in for something special. :)

I thought it was excellent. Some bits seemed rushed but since it was a fairly long film as it was, they obviously had to speed things up in some pieces.

There were plenty of memorable bits in the film (such as the bit involving the
    shuttle
    , and the
    crystal cavern.
    )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Saw a few weeks back, i liked.. it was Armageddon without Liv Tyler! I enjoyed it... good fun... never win an award but good fun all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Mmm well I might win a special effects one, some of those scenes were pretty damn incredible especially the one Lyconix mentioned, ooooh when the they saw those bridges for the first time........

Advertisement