Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

signs....what a pile of ****e!

• 22-03-2003 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭

Having seen and heard quite a bit about how good SIGNS was, I decided i might as well rent it. It was muck! a wasted cast, and 'signs' that the director may well have his head up his arse. I enjoyed sixth sense, and really enjoyed unbreakable.... perhaps that was the writer/directors two best ideas used up! Unless of course I totally missed the point and it was actually an homage to silly sci-fi movies with ropey special effects.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

are you mad? twas a great movie. Not on the same level as 'unbreakble' and 'sixth sense' but not on the same vein really. 'Signs' is about a more real approach to similar themes. How the one small-town family deals with an alien threat.

Plus on top of that, it was funny. C'mon '...why can't they find girlfriends...?' and '...it's what the nerds want...' Classic quotes indeed. i went to see it in the cinema with my friend and we were giggling about it for ages afterwards. And in the video shop where i work, it's been well recieved.

I'll admit mel gibson is a lil' cheesey, but Joaquin Phenix (guy from gladiator?) was well excellent

Two thumbs way up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I loved it although I think it would have been better if
    you never got to see the aliens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jesus H Christ

i thought it was very enjoyable. The direction was fantastic a la 6 sense. the part where they are in the basement and the lights go out. Gibson is looking around the room with a torch but you are just looking at his face, that's a class scene. goog tension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

sorry, maybe i just didn't get it. On a more positive note, I just watched SESSION 9, on dvd. It's one of the best horrors I've seen in a long time. I'd say it pisses on the likes of blair witch and jeepers creepers......... then again, what do i know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

finally someone who agrees with me.

I hated this movie. It just sucked. thats it. It isn't worth me talking about it more tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i thought it was pretty good...had its moments and some were kinda funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Patrick I told you your taste was up your arse. Twas indeed a good film.
    then again, what do i know

Exactly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Originally posted by karma kabbage
    Plus on top of that, it was funny. C'mon '...why can't they find girlfriends...?' and '...it's what the nerds want...' Classic quotes indeed.

Damn right. That was legend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I thought signs was very good.. would not say excellent but it was pretty damn good.. I loved 6th sense too.. however unbreakable?? I thought it was the most boring waste of my time movie i had seen since Dungeons and Dragons (not quite up to that scale of ****e!).

unbreakable was well acted, well directed, and the story was intelligently put across. signs wasn't. maybe i was expecting some kind of twist- a clue to the twist for me was the fake ****ing alien! and what a stroke of genius to have it allergic to water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Signs is a bag of ****.

and what a stroke of genius to have it allergic to water.

This coming from a man who loved *independance day where the aliens were killed by 1950's music :D:D

* I also loved independance day. This reply is mearly for flaming puposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I never figured out that Signs was supposed to be a comedy!
    Right it was still SHIITE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by daveg
    This coming from a man who loved *independance day where the aliens were killed by 1950's music :D:D

I loved *cough* Independence day .. I thought it was V funny .. anything with jack in it is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Was that not Mars Attacks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

then again, what do i know

Exactly :)

Shouldn't that be

Anyway, what do I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think you'll find that was Mars Attacks which was a p!sstake :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by Saruman
    Was that not Mars Attacks??

yeah it was .. I presumed that what he meant (hence the * for flaming purpose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by patch69
    unbreakable was well acted, well directed, and the story was intelligently put across. signs wasn't. maybe i was expecting some kind of twist- a clue to the twist for me was the fake ****ing alien! and what a stroke of genius to have it allergic to water.
    There wasn't much of a twist to Signs. The only 'twist' was the fact that pretty much everything in the movie happened for a reason (remember Gibson's monologue about there being 'no such thing as coincidence'?). Yes, this applies to the water thing, too.

As for the shitty CG alien - I am personally willing to forgive a bit of shoddy computer graphics, since I see the actual alien as being secondary to the point of the film. Sure, the film was centred around an alien invasion, but this was mostly just a plot device - the actual point of the film was about faith.

And yeah, I really, really enjoyed Signs.

Finally.....Daveg unmasked as film-fact-free-****wit that he is! If your going to contradict me, at least get SOME of your facts correct.

*I know how to spell, I'm saying 'merely' for flaming purposes....

• Advertisement

ahhh ****e.... :D:D I got the 2 mixed up.... ah well.....

Anyway I enjoyed sign's (he said sheepishly) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

signs = dog turd..
    all that cheesy religious crap
    mel gibson went nuts there a while back after braveheart and hasnt done a good film since..

sixth sense was also carp.
    unbreakable was damn good though ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

sorry, maybe i just didn't get it. On a more positive note, I just watched SESSION 9, on dvd. It's one of the best horrors I've seen in a long time. I'd say it pisses on the likes of blair witch and jeepers creepers......... then again, what do i know!

i just watched session 9 last week. thought it was shaping up to be very good.............there was loads of jumpy moments, bags of suspense.....................then it just ended ..............there was pretty much no plot resolution. it was like they ran out of budget & had to film the last 5 minutes in a day. first film ive ever seen with david caruso in it i was dissapointed in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

The aliens are smart enough to make spaceships but they aren't smart enough to make waterproof suits?

You should have seen the extras on SESSION 9, there was a sub-plot which expanded it a bit, all the deleted scenes were on it, with an alternate ending. which just impressed me all the more! I agree it was quite understated, but it reminded me of THE SHINING in the way it moved, which cant be a bad thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

I thought signs was a storyline that had potential, but could have been way improved. A bit too dragged out and predictable for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

I enjoyed the film to begin with. Then I got it into my head
    that it was some sort of group hallucination that was brought on by something in the water but when it turned out to be aliens
    , so I was a little let down and decided my plot line would have been much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

yeah, thats a very valid question......movies aren't real you see.
    Therefore, if i see for example, what looks like a gentleman wearing a rubber suit, poorly lit-up so that i can't work out any detail, i'll say it looks 'fake'. The same can be said of seeing a poor cgi spiderman or indeed the scorpion king at the end of tne mummy returns. we're mostly all aware they don't really exist, it's when they detract from the viewing experience i question it.
    ps. no I have not seen any aliens.

• Advertisement

i don't think so much focus should be drawn to the special effects. yes it can be annoying but in the grand scale of things special effects cannot make an esscentially good movie bad. they contribute i'll grant you but fairly irrelevent.

i don't think the movie was intended to be funny and is actually classified as a thriller...but it had funny parts, unquestionably.

and i think there is a thread about session 9 on the horror board

i maintain, it was well acted and well written and thoroughly enjoyable. Reasons to dislike it, i'd put down to personal taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well, i thought the movie was really great and cool!
    and some of the funniest things ever were said

it's what the nerds want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

I thought it was a very good film. The atmosphere wasn't due to special effects or what the aliens looked like, it was due to the brilliant direction of the film! Personally, I didn't feel the need to show the aliens so soon, it could have been left to the very end!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Thats it all in a nutshell really- I rest my case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Anyone with the patience, or capacity to suspend belief for 2 hours will find it a very entertaining movie. I did.

The other majority are bitter, pretentious, moany gits. Those who have to let everybody know how much they hated it, to feel better about themselves perhaps? Those who start this kind of thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't think i would watch it again. Disappointing for me after Sixth Sence and Unbreakable.

I think Unbreakable was underrated and Signs very over rated.

What are the other movies by that director? M. Night Schal????

Thats it all in a nutshell really- I rest my case!
    What case?
    You've said you didn't get it. You've called the film "muck". That doesn't make a 'case'. I wish it did, because I'd rule at winning arguments. But it doesn't.

The only good thing to come from the URL that was posted was the Shostakovich reference - seriously, everyone should get that track.

I started off by pointing out that the film is ****e.
    Of course thats just my opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to see my side,just having a bit of crack, passing time really. Which is what this forum is about i reckon. so, SEV, don't be such an insulting little boy- 'feel better about myself? pretentious? moany?'........that sounds like you buddy!

ps. obeygiant, look up the term 'figure of speech'

But isn't part of the fun of this place the petty bickering? The childish namecalling? Where would we be if noone tried to actually make a case? That would be pretty dull:
    "I liked signs"
    "I didn't".
    *fin*.

So, more petty bickering please!

(signs ruled)

• Advertisement

He He:D , petty bickering it is then!
    I say old chap, your dead right- the music WAS about the best thing in the movie. I didn't enjoy the movie. Neither did a lot of other people...........I could point out again where I feel the movie was lacking, but I'd just be moaning or even pretencious (!!)............................aahhhh, now I feel better about myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

That was nothing personal patch96, sorry, it was just the best way to get my point accross. You see I've been through this all before, and it really bugs me why people can't just lay off that film.

When I saw Signs in the cinema, my friend beside me decided he would enter the cinema with the mindset that he was not going to like it before it ever began (because he read some bad review, most likely). He then proceeded to spend the entire movie sighing, and groaning in an effort to let everybody know how much he thought the movie was crap, and no doubt in order to stand up for and prove to me how right his view was in the beginning.

Afterwards there was much heated argument over peoples view on the movie, and I pretty much came up with that thesis I put forward already. You either really like it, or you're just out to tell everybody how much you hated it, in some kind of stance to be different, or oppose the system, its like a cry for attention.

And why is it that it's the ones who hated the movie are far more eager to let everybody know about what they thought about it, than those who really enjoyed it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

There have been better films, but it is alright for a tuesday night when there is nothing on tv, and nothing in the video shop so your stuck with this film, not that bad

No bother SEV, I'm new to the boards, in fact that was my first thread- I never saw a previous one on signs! I see your point though....... your just as likely to see positive comments from me on movies, it's just a matter of timing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Houston Griffin

This is a movie no one seems to be neutral about. I liked it a lot, but many of my friends hated it. Most of those who hated it were staunch aetheists who didn't like the religious overtones of the movie. One was very religious and didn't like it due theological differences with M. Night Shyamalan's ideas about faith. One was caught up on the technical details of the alien invasion.

Advertisement