Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Learning

Options
  • 28-06-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can start a distance learning course straight away or do I need to inform the Social Welfare office prior to signing up to anything? It's a CMIT course and I'd like to start it today if possible but I'm not sure if I can. I've tried ringing them countless times but no reply :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You're supposed to notify your local office before you start any education course. Usually not a problem as long as its part-time, will increase your chances of getting a job and does not interfere with you genuinely seeking and being available for full time work

See here for more details http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/pteo.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for that. I'm a good bit away from my local office for another week so I was hoping I could just sign up now and start away, but I guess I'll have to wait until next week and have a word with them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Unreg82 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm a good bit away from my local office for another week so I was hoping I could just sign up now and start away, but I guess I'll have to wait until next week and have a word with them :(

Lots of people don't bother waiting and sign up, and some local offices can take too long to approve it so that people end up missing courses etc.

The flip side is that if you sign up before approval, you could find your payment stopped. It can be a bit of a balancing act at times, but if you have a bit of time before you have to sign up, then definitely best clearing it with them first.

Advertisement