Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carer's allowance?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

My dad(60) has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, but he is still going to be in full time work until retirement age. My mother(62) who is a housewife does not have any personal income. They were told by a friend lately that my mother should be entitled to a carer's allowance due to my dad's illness and the general household costs incurred due to it. Neither of them have ever claimed a state benefit so really aren't sure of their entitlement, if any.
    Would anyone have any advice on this situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If your dad would needed full-time care and attention, your mam might apply for Carers. However, if your dads diabetes is not impeding his ability to continue in his full-time job, then i would think he is not in need of full-time care and attention. Your dads GP would have to complete part of the application form describing how limited his ability to look after himself has become as a result of his diabetes diagnosis? your mam has to calculate how many hours she spends looking after him? and describe what this caring entails?
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/forms/documents/cr1.pdf
    Also its means-tested so your dads salary will be taken into account.
    good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    If your dad would needed full-time care and attention, your mam might apply for Carers. However, if your dads diabetes is not impeding his ability to continue in his full-time job, then i would think he is not in need of full-time care and attention. Your dads GP would have to complete part of the application form describing how limited his ability to look after himself has become as a result of his diabetes diagnosis? your mam has to calculate how many hours she spends looking after him? and describe what this caring entails?
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/forms/documents/cr1.pdf
    Also its means-tested so your dads salary will be taken into account.
    good luck.

I don't think his diabetes has changed his abilities in any way so far, thankfully. It is more to do with the extra costs involved with providing for someone with a serious illness, for example his nutritional needs are now costing a lot and medication etc. along with doctors fees, hospital visits...

I don't understand why, in this country, it seems to be cheaper to eat unhealthy than it is to eat healthily?!.. but, that is me going off the point.

Thanks for your advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Your dad is, though, entitled to a Long Term illness Card
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_related_benefits_and_entitlements/long_term_illness_scheme.html
    That is, if he hasnt already got a Medical Card. Its not means tested, all is needed is the diabetes diagnoses. this should be a huge financial help to them.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Your dad is, though, entitled to a Long Term illness Card
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_related_benefits_and_entitlements/long_term_illness_scheme.html
    That is, if he hasnt already got a Medical Card. Its not means tested, all is needed is the diabetes diagnoses. this should be a huge financial help to them.Good luck.

That really would be a great help, he won't qualify for a medical card while still in employment so it would relieve a lot of the financial burden!
    Thanks for your advice!! :)

Advertisement