Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpie Syndrome

Options
  • 28-10-2012 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Anyone else suffer from this?

Ever since my I've reached the age where I can afford to buy a game at a whim I've found the discipline it to complete what's in front of me is diminishing.

I'm able to consciously acknowledge that what is in the disc drive is great (currently Xcom, The Witcher 2 and Red Dead Redemption) but I can't focus my attention to see any of them to completion.

Back when I could only afford one game a month and online walkthroughs didn't exist I would slog away until I'd seen the credits roll. Now there's always something shinier for sale on Steam that redirects my attention. The result is a casualty list of titles with 10% completed and a mental note "I should really get back and complete that".

I can't even remember the last game I finished.... Actually it was Oblivion. And that took 4 years.

Am I on my own here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I have some many games sitting on the back burner i actually have pulled a list out of the games i want to play and the order.

It doesn't help that i have every current gen console and play wow, i find time is my biggest enemy so much to play so little time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I've just stopped buying games for the moment. I want XCom, Dishonored and AC3 but I won't buy any of them until I get rid of some of my backlog. I've about 10 games I need to finish before I'll buy anything else. Playing through DE:HR currently, will move onto Batman:AC after that, might tackle Xenoblade after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I only buy games every now and again.mostly games completing series i.e Mass effect,Assassins creed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

*Looks at his steam game libary with 95% not finished or not even downloaded once games..

Nah, i am good, i dunno what are you talking about OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

*Looks at his steam game libary with 95% not finished or not even downloaded once games..

Nah, i am good, i dunno what are you talking about OP.

Damn steam sales. So many games. Cant even run half of them but I still have them!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I have a lot of unfinished games, but I still manage to finish the ones that really drag me in. Put an obscene amount if time into Skyrim and I'm on my second run through of Dishonoured. I also finished Infamous 2 recently but it was a bit of a slog really.

Gotta get back into Batman:AC, AC Revelations, DE:HR, The Witcher haven't even started either of the Dead Space games. For most others I've admitted defeat, very unlikely I'm ever gonna take the plastic wrap off Heavy Rain at this stage or get to the end of any of the Killzone games.

I find myself buying less games, since I'll plan to wait for them to drop in price but by the time they do I've totally lost interest. Don't have as much time to play as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Only game i finished in a long time is Borderlands 2 (twice!)

My graveyard of unfinished games is pretty huge
    Didn't even complete Arkham City and Skyrim and they're great games.

Games i've played and not put down till complete are the Mass Effect series, Dead Space 1/2 and Deus Ex HR, so in general a game has to be really compelling and short or have a level up system that holds you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have so many games that just get forgotten because I have SFIV combos to be drilled :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it is terrible that I have over 250+ games on Steam and various other places like Origin, Green Man Gaming, GFWL and loads of Indie compilations as well as boxed games and have only played a select amount of them

generally I am trying to play through games that I start these days and have just finished ME3 and also playing Black Mesa
    I'll probably play The Darkness 2 next and after that an RPG as I like to mix it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Its funny, I remember as a kid looking forward to the point in my life where id have a decent paying job and be able to buy games whenever i wanted, no saving up weeks of pocket money to buy one game. Now that im here, im only finishing about 1 in 10 games. Most games I buy probably have an average playtime of 10hrs or less before they meet the shelf and collect dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

When i was growing up I got one game for my birthday and I had to go halves with any money i got in cards. I got one for Christmas then as well. I mainly survived on rentals.

Once I started getting money from working I would buy anything and everything. It has slowed down in recent years as money is a lot tighter with a mortgage etc but i still buy a ridiculous amount of games that sit in the plastic/ steam never downloaded section !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't finish games i don't like, everything else gets the credits treatment. I don't have a gaming rig so can't abuse Steam, but all the games i do buy get a Playthrough. I rarely play games twice, unless there's a different character with a different story. The only ones i've played through twice is Arkham City, inFamous 1 & 2, the AC series, LoK series. Intending on going through Mass Effect again, but with AC3, NFS:MW, Dishonoured and Blops2 yet to get, it could be a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I blame the STEAM sales

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

speaking of which, when is the Halloween sale ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Achievements / trophies fixed this for me OP :D

Advertisement