Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulation grant advice please

Options
  • 31-12-2013 8:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently a semi detached house. old council type. 2 bed.

There is not much insulation on it, either in the attic or the walls by the looks of things.

Im wondering the following:

1: is there still a grant available for insulating your house.

2: can i use this to my advantage so the grant is as much as the work carried out. (so not costing me anything once i am reimbursed - if i put 3k in, can i get 3k out again)

3: how would i get the most bang for my buck in relation to this and is there loads of other things for my house i can be getting for free!!!!

Thanks all. any advice, previous experience with doing this or even recommendations for contractors in the D12 area in dublin will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Wake up. Nothing in life is for free.

But if you are genuinely looking for a grant that can help you towards a small portion of your costs. Look up.
    www.seai.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

well if it is a grant coming from the government, i would suspect there is loopholes, plotholes, bullet holes and all the rest.

lots of things in life are free. you just have to know how ti do it!

Ive been on the website, it is useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Call a regestered SEAI nsulation contractor for FREE ADVICE and quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Wall insulation grants are pretty low unless you are going to external insulation for internal dry lining insulation but the capital outlay dramatically increases for these.

So basically,
    Attic insulation is €200
    Cavity Wall pumped insulation is €250

You must obtain & pay for a BER cert upon completion of works & this will cost you approx €150 - €200.

You will receive a grant towards the BER cost of €50.

The minimum grant claim is €400.

See http://www.seai.ie/News_Events/Press_Releases/2011/Better_Energy_Homes_scheme.html for further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭gifted

Any of ye have a ballpark figure of how much it would cost to insulate a bog standard 3 bedroom 2 storey house, pumped insulation in the walls and the attic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

lolosaur wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently a semi detached house. old council type. 2 bed.

There is not much insulation on it, either in the attic or the walls by the looks of things.

Im wondering the following:

1: is there still a grant available for insulating your house.

2: can i use this to my advantage so the grant is as much as the work carried out. (so not costing me anything once i am reimbursed - if i put 3k in, can i get 3k out again)

3: how would i get the most bang for my buck in relation to this and is there loads of other things for my house i can be getting for free!!!!

Thanks all. any advice, previous experience with doing this or even recommendations for contractors in the D12 area in dublin will be much appreciated.

Not a hope of making anything here lolosaur. Grant amounts will only cover a small fraction of the cost, I've never heard of anybody pulling any moves with the scheme.
    The only way it could be done is if a registered contractor signs off on and invoices work he hasn't done, and if a guy does that he needs his head tested, as they do carry out a few audits (in the midlands area anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

gifted wrote: »
    Any of ye have a ballpark figure of how much it would cost to insulate a bog standard 3 bedroom 2 storey house, pumped insulation in the walls and the attic?

€1600 - € 1900 ex vat I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

gifted wrote: »

I am going for the cavity wall waltite insulation in January.
    I got a price of €2,100 incl vat for bonded bead & a price of €5,800 incl vat for the waltite.
    The more I looked into the waltite, the more I thought it was much better in the long term.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

The attic, I done myself a couple of years ago with an additional 12" of insulation on the existing 4".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

cheers shane.

Ive a hatred of spending money on insulation.

you will never see it, you cant play with it. putting it down is bloody lethal!!!

Advertisement