Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line 6 Spider II 210

Options
  • 28-07-2006 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

After my previous thread and being advised to go down a route other than getting a Marshall, the Line 6 Spider II 210 caught my eye. Ive found plenty of good reviews, and a small number of bad ones. It seems excellent value (€300 approx) and has a load of features. Ive played it and I thought it sounded good but its been a while since and it was only on a few occassions.

Anyone got one? Or have any opinions or heard anything about them? All opinions are welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Best amp for the money I've played or recorded, personally. I owned a 110 for a while and it pissed on any solidstate amp in the price range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The Spider III was announced at summer NAMM. I'd either wait for it to come out or try to get a Spider II on blowout.

If it was only announced at this summer's NAMM, it could be next year before it sees the inside of a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I've got the exact amp you're talking about McMalley. Bought it from soundslive.co.uk about 3 months ago. Like yourself I read loads of reviews, but found a lot of them to have been done by 14-17 year olds and/or beginner guitar players that didn't really know what they were on about.

The amp is definetly being marketed towards metalheads. And you do get a really nice heavy crunch out of it. The effects are pretty good except for the chorus and phaser - you can't add just a hint of these, theyre quite prominent even at the lowest setting. The delays sound good as does the reverb and tremblo.

Theres plenty of other amp models and these sound fine also. The light crunch and twang especially. But it's definetly a tweakers amp, you wont get great sounds by plugging straight in after taking it out if the box. Dick around with the models, eq and effects and you can get some great tones. Really loud too.

Just stay away from that red 'insane' setting...I don't know what Line 6 were thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i was thinkin bout on of these...how much did u pay den m

• Advertisement

I think it was in the late 300's including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

cool thanks might invest in the near future

Den_M wrote:
    Just stay away from that red 'insane' setting...I don't know what Line 6 were thinking.

I've the 112, and i've never figured out what you could use this for!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The insane is there when you wanna make noise, just noise!!

They're ok amps, a guitarist i was in a band with had one and the jack input came loose and kinda fell off twice!! So i'd be weary of them.

I like noise, but not the noise that you get from that setting. Just a load of croaking, fuzzy garbage.
    The Spider II should be dropping in price now that the third isn't far off :

spider3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

DONT EVEN CONSIDER GETTING A LINE 6, id rather a marshall tbh, line 6 i hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i used these in loop a few times,thought they were ****ing horrible!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I think you're in the minority there, Patricide. The Spider II's aren't bad amps, especially if it's your first or second amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

There's no life to them, I find. The sound range is varied, and the amp's features are very impressive, but I find the end result very "processed" and I cant warm to them.

oh well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭McMalley

Mixed reviews here, but it seems those who have had them or played them regularly are in favour. Personally I think its good value, if anyone has an alternative suggestion, please let me know! and be specific!

Well, comparing it to a real valve amp is ridiculous tbh. For the money, it really is about as good as it gets. You'd be talking about something like a cheap solidstate Fender or an MG as an alternative. Either of which sound like a cardboard box full of human feces.

(Also, I never used the effects on the Spider, except for messing around. At best they're a bonus, not a selling factor)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

feylya wrote:
    I think you're in the minority there, Patricide. The Spider II's aren't bad amps, especially if it's your first or second amp.
    Dont get me wrong here fey, the line 6 is a great laugh to mess around with and at firt the amp sounds great but then after a while you realise hey this thing sounds dead and sterile. Then you realise what the **** i wasted money on this thing.

A MUCH better alternitive would of course be the mighty roland cube.

I can't let the last post be the final on the matter! I've been playing the amp for the last few hours now and in my opinion it's a really good bit of gear, especially for 3 hundred and something euro. The distortion is real heavy and smooth and the cleans ring out beautifully. I'd gig with it no problem. I've played rectifiers/engl/fender twins, quality amps basically, so I'm not ignorant of good tone. While the Spider obviously isnt in the same league, it's still very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Either of which sound like a cardboard box full of human feces.
    Thats a great simile :)
    Of course one has to wonder how you heard a box of human feces...

MG is one of the worst value amps I have ever seen.

A buddy had a Spider (non arachnid type). Sounded ok, but certainly very processed.
    Vast majority of the effects didnt sound like a good version of them should sound like.

Im looking for an amp in this price range too, but all I want it for is to provide a good clean tone, as I have a GT-8. Dont think the spider is quite what Id want though.

Advertisement