Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost Benefit Analysis of Solar Panels

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

shane0007 wrote: »
    We got talking about it because it is related to heating domestic hot water & has a direct comparison with cost benefits of same!

Sorry, no vested interest so I can't get you excited or even get you to perch on the edge of your armchair on that front. Whether they become the next big thing or only cross the threshold of a few bungalows, it won't make any benefit to me unless I install it. I merely offered it as an alternative. I have been installing solar panels for about 5 years now & have quite a number of them under my belt. I am a fan but I am reluctantly open to new technologies. I say reluctantly because I try to find fault with everything. I believe nor trust any salesperson. I like the NUOS, it's as simple as that. It is the first heat pump technology that tickled my senses.

Wasnt having a go, i am a renewables person myself. i often hear great things about these different technologies but when you do the maths they often dont really add up. I am like you i suppose, i wont believe something unless i can see the logic.

Solar is still not really feasible at the moment as the payback is still quite long but the price should steadily drop in the next few years through mass production and efficiencies gained. At the moment the solar market is very competitive and this will only drive down prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I didn't. It is stated by nearly all manufacturers about their products & also the SEAI state this. It is also stated as UPTO 60% due the solar irradiation. In my own situation, I installed 40 tube Kingspan system in my own home about 4 & 1/2 years ago. Year 1 & 2 were excellent. I would say I had to top up the cylinder about 5 times from March to October. However, the last 2 years, I'd say I topped it up most days as they weather has been absolutely crap for the past 2 years.
    I am now considering putting in the NUOS 250L cylinder, connecting to my existing solar & re-using the 300L as a buffer tank for my UFH. I was considering changing to LPG for modulation reasons but I can modulate out of buffer but that's a whole other thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

shane0007 wrote: »
    I didn't. It is stated by nearly all manufacturers about their products & also the SEAI state this. It is also stated as UPTO 60% due the solar irradiation. In my own situation, I installed 40 tube Kingspan system in my own home about 4 & 1/2 years ago. Year 1 & 2 were excellent. I would say I had to top up the cylinder about 5 times from March to October. However, the last 2 years, I'd say I topped it up most days as they weather has been absolutely crap for the past 2 years.
    I am now considering putting in the NUOS 250L cylinder, connecting to my existing solar & re-using the 300L as a buffer tank for my UFH. I was considering changing to LPG for modulation reasons but I can modulate out of buffer but that's a whole other thread!

If the solar is not contributing a whole amount, it is no harm to look at alternatives. I would be sceptical about the COP on the NUOS as specified by suppliers as there is a lot of variables that could affect the performance as mentioned previously. Considering you said the system cost between 3-4k to install, I would find it hard to justify this unless i was confident that the system will achieve a minimum specified COP consistently.

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    I would be sceptical about the COP on the NUOS as specified by suppliers as there is a lot of variables that could affect the performance as mentioned previously. Considering you said the system cost between 3-4k to install, I would find it hard to justify this unless i was confident that the system will achieve a minimum specified COP consistently.

I wouldn't be. As per Met Éireann, the average air temperature in Ireland is between 8C & 20C. According to the new information we have from that Italian site, at 7C the COP is 3.1 & at 20C it's 3.7. If we average those figures, that gives us an average COP of 3.4, which I will take that energy back to me at over 3 times what I put in as very good. Even at 3.1, it's very good.
    Cost IMHO is very reasonable. Remember this includes a glass lined cylinder so well issues are eliminated. Compared to a 40 tube Kingspan system of about €5,500 with s/steel cylinder installed, it ain't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

sorry shane when i said your heat pump i thought that you had one installed in your own house wasn't implying that you were selling them. getting back to the way you calculated the yearly cost with 20* and cop 3.7 the month with the highest mean temperatures is July ,and the 30 year mean temp for july at johnstown castle wexford is 15.6* oakpark carlow 16* so even on the best month of the year the heat pump wont be able to average a cop of 3.7 and here in kilkenny we average 53 air frost days which would demolish the cop even more. the only way to work out running costs for a given amount of water per year would be to use the 30 year monthly mean temps to work out a monthly mean cop and use that to work out the kw needed .again i want to say that i am not against heat pumps or this product.you said in one post that most posters understand cops that is true but most readers and consumers don't realize that the cop quoted is the max performance under lab conditions with a stable heat sourse and the products once installed will not preform to those levels

• Advertisement

I think you are reading too much into it. Even at 7C, the COP is 3.1. Averages over 10 year periods vary by a maximum of 10% according to PVGIS.
    So what is the average temperature within your attic space when the outside temp is say 10C?
    My point is & let me give you all your arguments & say the temperature everyday will be 7C winter & summer, the COP is 3.1. It is still 3.1 times the energy you are putting into the system & by anybody's standards that is not a bad return. How many people around the country are leaving the immersions on constantly with a 3kw immersion? Stick in a NUOS & its well...... self explanatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Enda78

Hi Shane,

I've been following your conversation of the Ariston Nuos with great interest and was hoping that you could also send me on the details as its something that I'm very interested in for a new build but am finding it very hard to get any information.

Is it o.k to pm?

Enda

Enda78 wrote: »
    Hi Shane,

I've been following your conversation of the Ariston Nuos with great interest and was hoping that you could also send me on the details as its something that I'm very interested in for a new build but am finding it very hard to get any information.

Is it o.k to pm?

Enda
    Of course you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1 81wall

Hi Shane 007
    i have read a lot of your posts about the aristron nons 250litre , im a first time user of boards , would it be possible to private message you and pick your brain????

Advertisement