Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World rankings post-RWC

• 21-10-2007 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

When are the world rankings updated ? Is it done on a rolling basis (i.e. automatically after every international match) or released monthly ?

It will be interesting to see the new positions. I guess definite moves in the right direction for the likes of: England, Argentina, Fiji, Georgia. On the other hand, Ireland and Wales will be looking at a slide downwards...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eh, why would georgia move? You dont get points for 1 good performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Well, found info on: http://www.irb.com/rankings/index.html

It looks to be updated weekly, so we should see impact of Final in coming days. England have made quite a leap to #3 spot. Am surprised to see Argentina so low (6), after beating Ireland and France and getting a semi-final place. AFAIK they started the tournament at 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

looks like rankings will be:

South Africa
    New Zealand
    England
    Australia /Argentina
    Australia/Argentina/France
    France/Australia
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Fiji
    Wales

That middle sections weird because of the closeness of points - I *think* it'll work out as ARG, AUS, FRA but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

eh, why would georgia move? You dont get points for 1 good performance.

They did score a bonus point against us seen as we only scraped past them.. Do these not count in the rankings, or is it only wins and losses?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ibh wrote: »
    They did score a bonus point against us seen as we only scraped past them.. Do these not count in the rankings, or is it only wins and losses?

There is a distinction made between winning or losing by 15 points or more, and winning or losing by less than 15 points.

I can't remember exactly how the rankings are calculated but in the case of the Georgia game we probably lost points for "only" beating them by 4 points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Looks like Rugby world cups are beginning to settle down as a reliable indicator of who will be the strongest teams over a period of time. Just as the soccer world cup has a "Big Four" of countries who dominate it (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy) so rugby has its big five as the table below shows.

I give six points for winning the world cup; four for being runner-up, two for third place and one for fourth. Taking all results since 1987 here's how the countries are ranked.

1 Australia 17
    2 England/New Zealand 15
    4 South Africa 14
    5 France 12
    6 Argentina/Wales 2
    8 Scotland 1

Note precipitous drop from fifth to sixth. I don't expect that gap to close after the next WC either. But I will bet even now that Australia will not be top of the tree at the end of 2011 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Balfas

Nice links daveirl. Nice to see Argentina go to 3rd in the world rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Looks like it's been updated.

Now it's
    1. South Africa
    2. New Zealand
    3. Argentina
    4. England
    5. Australia
    6. France
    7. Ireland
    8. Scotland
    9. Fiji
    10. Wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Blisterman wrote: »
    Looks like it's been updated.

Now it's
    1. South Africa
    2. New Zealand
    3. Argentina
    4. England
    5. Australia
    6. France
    7. Ireland
    8. Scotland
    9. Fiji
    10. Wales

Normally the rankings don't exactly reflect reality but for once I think they do, the only thing I see as wrong is that France are probably a better team than Australia. Nice to see Argentina reflected as the third best team in the world, which they clearly are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fiji should be one or two places higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Not so sure about Fiji being one or two places higher. They need to learn a bit of consistency before they can lay claim to that sort of position.

Advertisement