Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Irish rugby and soccer jerseys

Options
  • 20-10-2007 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I want to highlight something about our International rugby and soccer teams that has bugged me for a long time now and I think in some small way contributes to our poor performances on the field.
    My issue is the naming of the opposing teams on the Irish jersey. For instance, if you were to poll people on whether they would like the word England on the front of the Irish jersey I think you know what the result would be yet every time we play England that exactly is what we do. I don’t have an issue with England, this is just an example. I don’t want any opposing team named on an Irish jersey, whether it’s England or Swahili. I think in sport teams should respect each other but I think when we do this we are giving the opposition a little too much respect. I feel that it gives the opposing team a psychological advantage to see their name on our jersey.
    If this was a worldwide practice in sport I wouldn’t have an issue but we are the only country that I know of that do this. I have researched photos on the net and our International soccer team have been doing this since about 1999 and the rugby team since 2005.
    If there is a good reason for having the opposition name on our jersey I would like to hear it. Is it for photo records? Or is it for the lads when they swap jerseys at the end of the match to have a nice Irish jersey with their countries name stitched beside our crest? Neither of these are very convincing reasons. This is not a rant but I think it needs to be thought about before we start the 2008 six nations and 2010 world cup qualifiers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Meh. You have too much time on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

As only the match jerseys are embroidered with the opposition and date, it makes them unique and much more of a keepsake.

I like it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Ah for feck sake!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wow... We haven't had a troll around these parts for quite a while.

Did you really sign up just to post that crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

oh and i know a lot of other countries do this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

Lots of countries stich the name of their oppostion and date of the match for games, it's not really that uncommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Decmalone wrote: »
    I think when we do this we are giving the opposition a little too much respect.

What a load of rubbish. I cant wait to see your second post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Aren't the official caps embroidered in the same way, date - comp - opponent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Yes your right. This all started for major cup finals, like the FA Cup, Champions League, World Cup final etc, but not just soccer in all sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think the Irish teams have bigger things to worry about tbh.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Great first post

NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Id suggest the mods close this as this is just turning into personal abuse. Have respect for peoples opinions lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Junior

Come on, it's the phase of the moon, we've had this thread before. Actually to be fair if you looked at the jerseys this evening for the RWC they had the team and fixture on them, and on the sleeve was a single world cup emblem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

This reminds me, I thought of another good reason why Ireland under performed at the wrc. The matches weren't shown by the national broadcaster. If RTE had shown the games, more irish would have been watching and with the Hook and the rest of the RTE panel we could have gone all the way. I think this was much more a factor than the fact that the team played crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 HaroldGodwinson

Junior wrote: »
    Come on, it's the phase of the moon, we've had this thread before. Actually to be fair if you looked at the jerseys this evening for the RWC they had the team and fixture on them, and on the sleeve was a single world cup emblem.

The world cup emblem on the sleeve is only for teams who have won the World Cup. NZ, Australia, South Africa, and England have had the cup on their sleeve all tournament. It also has the year or years the team won the WC underneath the emblem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

The only problem with the current Irish rugby/soccer jerseys is that those occupying them aren't doing them justice...surreal thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Junior

The world cup emblem on the sleeve is only for teams who have won the World Cup. NZ, Australia, South Africa, and England have had the cup on their sleeve all tournament. It also has the year or years the team won the WC underneath the emblem.

sorry thought I had finished that post off last night, two pints of whiskey were interferring with the finger brain thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Dunno where you got that Idea from. I have an Australian jersey with the logo
    Australia vs New Zealand
    3rd August 2002
    Stadium Australia, Sydney

embroidered on it.

And it's not a match jersey; it's a replica.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

If this was a worldwide practice in sport I wouldn’t have an issue but we are the only country that I know of that do this

Just shows what you know.....There should be a darwin award style way of removing posters who show profound stupidity in their first 10 posts !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Decmalone

Dunno where you got that Idea from. I have an Australian jersey with the logo
    Australia vs New Zealand
    3rd August 2002
    Stadium Australia, Sydney

embroidered on it.

And it's not a match jersey; it's a replica.

That jersey names both teams. Ireland only name the opposition. Read again.

• Advertisement

Just shows what you know.....There should be a darwin award style way of removing posters who show profound stupidity in their first 10 posts !

Post a link to a picture of one other country who name only the opposition on their jersey. Best of luck.

That jersey names both teams. Ireland only name the opposition. Read again.
    Maybe, just maybe, they don't have to put "Ireland" on it. After all, the shamrock and the green might just be enough.

smashey wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, they don't have to put "Ireland" on it. After all, the shamrock and the green might just be enough.

Maybe, just maybe,the aussie crest and gold on that jersey might just have been enough and they could just have put the words NEW ZEALAND on the front of their jersey. Do you think that would happen? Did'nt think so.

Maybe, just maybe,the aussie crest and gold on that jersey might just have been enough and they could just have put the words NEW ZEALAND on the front of their jersey. Do you think that would happen? Did'nt think so.
    Okay. The players get a jersey with the opposition's name on it for every game. If I'm right in thinking here, they actually get two, one to swap with the oposition and one to keep. Now, say a player retires and keeps all these jerseys in the attic for ten years. One fine day he goes up to the attic and the memories come flooding back. Except they don't, because all the feckin jerseys are identical and he has no idea what jersey was from what match.

Okay. The players get a jersey with the opposition's name on it for every game. If I'm right in thinking here, they actually get two, one to swap with the oposition and one to keep. Now, say a player retires and keeps all these jerseys in the attic for ten years. One fine day he goes up to the attic and the memories come flooding back. Except they don't, because all the feckin jerseys are identical and he has no idea what jersey was from what match.

Maybe he should keep his attic tidier and keep better records. Or maybe a more simple solution would be to put the name Ireland on the Jersey too. Either way there will be a lot of confused old rugby players out there because the irfu only started doing this in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

. One fine day he goes up to the attic and the memories come flooding back. Except they don't, because all the feckin jerseys are identical and he has no idea what jersey was from what match.

lol!! :D:D:D:D

Maybe he should keep his attic tidier and keep better records. Or maybe a more simple solution would be to put the name Ireland on the Jersey too. Either way there will be a lot of confused old rugby players out there because the irfu only started doing this in 2005.
    What colour is the sky on planet troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

WTF is a going on here?:confused:

I never even noticed this "phenomenon"

Would the OP care to post a picky, I may take your side yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Post a link to a picture of one other country who name only the opposition on their jersey. Best of luck.

Eh France
    http://actualite.benchmark.fr/depeche/spo/SGE.NJC78.140607171202.photo01.diaporama.default-336x500.jpg

I think you'll find that a lot of countries do it - England for example put it on the bottom right of the jersey with the players cap number. Scotland also do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement