Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    http://www.euro-soccerjerseys.co.uk/ireland-11-12-away-soccer-jerseys-p-4669.html

Customs have been going after the fakes coming in from Asia recently. So it might not get through.

That's d first time I have seen the Irish jerseys on them sites.I have bought a jerseys from Asia and they have been sound.If we get to the euros I could see plenty of the sites selling the Irish jersey ,when there is a higher demand for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I wonder if you put a bulk order in with the sites that do the identical fakes would they be able to do it without the sponsor? could get them sent to the north in a box and then dish them out down south(a group of us from boards doing somethin similar see the online shop thread in soccer forum) would be great if it worked out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I was in the FAI shop last night and the only jersey that didnt have the sponsor on was a special edition one to celebrate Robbie getting to 50 goals.

It had Macedonia -v- Ireland embroidered under the crest and had the number 50 on the front with 10 on the back. Didn't check the price, although it was probably 60+

I picked up the white Ireland Euro 1988 replica for 20 blips though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

http://www.euro-soccerjerseys.co.uk/ireland-11-12-away-soccer-jerseys-p-4669.html

Customs have been going after the fakes coming in from Asia recently. So it might not get through.
    14522335761500-4187500.jpg
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

They had them in 2009 I think for the last Eircom sponsered one.

Yoy could buy them with no sponser, I think they were in limeted supply, 500 or so. I got one and it will do me for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

POKERKING wrote: »
    I wonder if you put a bulk order in with the sites that do the identical fakes would they be able to do it without the sponsor? could get them sent to the north in a box and then dish them out down south(a group of us from boards doing somethin similar see the online shop thread in soccer forum) would be great if it worked out...

they will do them without the sponsor,you wouldnt need a bulk order.
    I enquired with soccer triads before and they reckoned they would need an order of 500+ to make it worthwhile producing a jersey.It was on the the thread about online jerseys at the time.I think if we sent them enough enquires it might happen.
    the company selling the 3rd shirt might do up the home kit considering it would be a bigger seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

wouldnt that have OPEL written on it?
    No.I had an official Adidas Italia 90 top.Opel-less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    No.I had an official Adidas Italia 90 top.Opel-less.
    Opel-less??? A bit like the Irish team then ha ha ha ha...Christ I hope people get the joke.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Opel-less??? A bit like the Irish team then ha ha ha ha...Christ I hope people get the joke.:(

That's terrible.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Zebra3 wrote: »
    That's terrible.

Taxi for Mikey:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭centre half

I don't see the home one there, which is the one I really want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hopefully not tempting fate by asking this with the second leg still to go, but lets face it, it would take a disaster of epic proportions not to qualify at this stage. So what is the squad Trap will bring with him, or what players do you think he should bring?

Presume it's a squad of 23 allowed to go, whereby 3 have to be goalkeepers. I would go with:

Goalkeepers
    Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    David Forde

Defenders
    John O'Shea
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St.Ledger
    Stephen Ward
    Stephen Kelly
    Darren O'Dea
    Marc Wilson
    Ciaran Clark

Midfielders
    Damien Duff
    Glen Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    Aiden McGeady
    Seamus Coleman
    Keith Fahey
    James McCarthy
    Stephen Hunt

Forwards
    Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle
    Shane Long
    Jon Walters

Tough choice to pick the forwards, guys like Cox and Best would be in contention of course, but with only being allowed to bring 23, I'd imagine that Trap would bring 4 or 5 along with him. We all know Trap has his favourites too, so we may see players like McShane, Kilbane, Keogh and Foley make the squad. I personally would give at least one of Clark and Wilson the nod because of their versatility. Can't see the midfield looking much different from that, Gibson maybe to be included too, no doubt he should have a look at guys like Hoolahan, Pilkington, even guys like Meyler, McCann, Dicker one could argue should be in with a shout, but don't think Trap would bring players with such little international experience along.

Going to be a tough task to pick the squad when the time comes, hopefully we are injury free. Trap surly has to use the friendlies between now and June to look at some fringe players, and Brady said last night that he would fully expect him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

My Preference(as of today)

1.Shay Given
    2.John O'Shea
    3.Stephen Ward
    4.Richard Dunne
    5.Sean St Ledger
    6.Glenn Whelan
    7.Aiden McGeady
    8.Keith Andrews
    9.Kevin Doyle
    10.Robbie Keane
    11.Damien Duff
    12.Kieran Westwood
    13.Stephen Kelly
    14.Seamus Coleman
    15.Mark Wilson
    16.Joey O'Brien
    17.Keith Fahey
    18.Darren Gibson
    19.James McCarthy
    20.Jonathan Walters
    21.Shane Long
    22.Stephen Hunt
    23.David Forde

Standby
    24.Darren O'Dea
    25.Ciaran Clark
    26.Liam Lawrence
    27.Kevin Kilbane
    27.Simon Cox
    28.Leon Best.

*I recognise that the list is not entirely realistic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Will Mr.Ireland try to wriggle his way into this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

syngindub wrote: »
    Will Mr.Ireland try the wriggle his way into this?

If he does, he should be told to get lost. The man has lost the quality which was pumping through his veins when we were seeking his return in 2009.

I dont want him at the European Championships, and I dont want him to take the place of another player who has contributed to the Irish cause in the last 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Very interesting selection of Joey O'Brien. I can see why, he can play right full, centre half and centre mid.

Personally I would try and get Paddy Kenny involved again.

Kevin Kilbane should be asked along as a non playing member of the squad. His influence on the squad would be an asset and lets go some way to repay the man for his wonderful service to the green shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Here's the list of every player who was selected (either XI or bench for at least 1 game during the qualification campaign so far. I'm limiting my selection to them.

In the interest of simplicity and probably fairness I'd limit selection to players who actually did the work to get us there.

The number in brackets "( )" in the amount of onfield minutes they've put in during the campaign
    ===

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Shay Given (900)
    2. Keiren Westwood (90)
    3. David Forde (0)
    4. Joe Murphy (0)

DEFENDERS
    5. Richard Dunne (810)
    6. Sean St Ledger (720)
    7. John O'Shea (705)
    8. Kevin Kilbane (540)
    9. Stephen Kelly (375)
    10. Darren O'Dea (360)
    11. Stephen Ward (360)
    12. Kevin Foley (90)
    13. Ciaran Clarke (0)
    14. Damien Delaney (0)
    15. Greg Cunningham (0)
    16. Marc Wilson (0)
    17. Paul Mc Shane (0)

MIDFIELDERS
    18. Aidan Mc Geady (940)
    19. Glen Whelan (885)
    20. Keith Andrews (540)
    21. Damien Duff (485)
    22. Paul Green (312)
    23. Liam Lawrence (241)
    24. Darron Gibson (179)
    25. Keith Fahey (176)
    26. Steve Hunt (173)
    27. James Mc Carthy (3)
    28. Seamus Coleman (0)

FORWARDS
    29. Robbie Keane (892)
    30. Kevin Doyle (548)
    31. Shane Long (234)
    32. Simon Cox (208)
    33. Jon Walters (93)
    34. Andrew Keogh (31)
    35. Cilian Sheridan (0)

=====

Personally I'd prefer an 3-7-8-5 squad so I'd start just chopping names off from the bottom. The only exceptions are the case of Paul Green who has put in a large number of minutes but is generally useless, never should have been capped to begin with and seems to thankfully have disappeared off the radar for good anyway. Forde has made the bench three times and Murphy just once so he clearly gets the choice as third goalie. So that leaves you with a final squad of ......

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Shay Given (900)
    2. Keiren Westwood (90)
    3. David Forde (0)

DEFENDERS
    4. Richard Dunne (810)
    5. Sean St Ledger (720)
    6. John O'Shea (705)
    7. Kevin Kilbane (540)
    8. Stephen Kelly (375)
    9. Darren O'Dea (360)
    10. Stephen Ward (360)

MIDFIELDERS
    11. Aidan Mc Geady (940)
    12. Glen Whelan (885)
    13. Keith Andrews (540)
    14. Damien Duff (485)
    15. Liam Lawrence (241)
    16. Darron Gibson (179)
    17. Keith Fahey (176)
    18. Steve Hunt (173)

FORWARDS
    19. Robbie Keane (892)
    20. Kevin Doyle (548)
    21. Shane Long (234)
    22. Simon Cox (208)
    23. Jon Walters (93)

==

Some may question the absense of James McCarthy but frankly I reckon he can just shíte off back to Wigan for all I care. Go watch the matches in the pub with Stephen Ireland for all I care. As for Coleman he might set Goodison alight but he's clearly not convinced Trapp he's the right sort of player for Ireland yet so that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

David Meyler hopefully will get a look in. He has been desperately unlucky with injuries over the last while. He was unfortunate to pick up a terrible injury only a few days after being called into the Ireland for friendlies in May/June 2010. He's been eased back into the Sunderland side of late. I firmly believe had he not picked up the injury, he could've forced his way into Trap's plans for this euro qualification campaign.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Would be crazy to pick Meyler given his limited experience at international level IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Dotrel wrote: »
    Some may question the absense of James McCarthy but frankly I reckon he can just shíte off back to Wigan for all I care. Go watch the matches in the pub with Stephen Ireland for all I care. As for Coleman he might set Goodison alight but he's clearly not convinced Trapp he's the right sort of player for Ireland yet so that's good enough for me.

We have between now and the summer to prepare, of course we should be experimenting with the squad and trying to give guys like McCarthy, Coleman, Wilson, Cunningham, Clare, Brady, Hoolahan games.

• Advertisement

Would be crazy to pick Meyler given his limited experience at international level IMO.

You sure? I'm sure if you take a little history at team/squad selections, you'll see players being brought without the relevance experience. If you are looking at a possible player to come into the Irish squad. Meyler will be one. He's got a good attitude. He's a good player. If he's injury free over the next few months, just wait and see. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

after some games to test out players further pre squad selection i'd optimistically hope for the following keeping in mind that under trap radical change wouldnt be expected.

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Shay Given
    2. Keiren Westwood
    3. David Forde

DEFENDERS
    4. Richard Dunne
    5. Sean St Ledger
    6. John O'Shea
    7. Kevin Kilbane
    8. Stephen Kelly
    9. Darren O'Dea
    10. Stephen Ward

MIDFIELDERS
    11. Aidan Mc Geady
    12. Glen Whelan
    13. Keith Andrews
    14. Damien Duff
    15. Seamus Coleman
    16. Darron Gibson / Meyler
    17. James McCarthy
    18. Steven Hunt

FORWARDS
    19. Robbie Keane
    20. Kevin Doyle
    21. Shane Long
    22. Simon Cox
    23. Jon Walters

The team wouldnt see much change though imo

Given
    O'Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Ward
    Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady
    R.Keane + 1

must say its nice how much genuine competition there is for the +1 CF spot atm

Cian A wrote: »
    We have between now and the summer to prepare, of course we should be experimenting with the squad and trying to give guys like McCarthy, Coleman, Wilson, Cunningham, Clare, Brady, Hoolahan games.

Will there be many friendly dates that will give players a chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Trap has stated on a few occasions that he likes Meyler and thinks he is the type of player who fits into our system. It was unfortunate that he got crocked when he did, because he definitely would have gotten game time for us.

Speaking of Meyler, he said that Fraizer Campbell is elligible for Ireland, tried to get him to declare for Ireland over Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/DavidMeyler

Could have been taking the mickey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The friendlies will be very important in determining who goes. Trap has shown that those who perform in friendlies (Cox) will be given a shot in the games that matter. We've got some versatile fringe players in the likes of Coleman, Wilson and Keogh, which could be a useful attribute if your trying to squeeze in a fifth striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Given, Westwood,
    Kelly, Dunne, O'shea, St Ledger, Clark, Ward
    McGeady, Duff, Whelan, Gibson, Andrews, Fahey, Hunt
    Keane, Doyle, Long, Walters

These, to me, are a definite 19. There's plenty of friendles between now and then that we can use to add to the squad. I think you need three goalkeepers so I'd imagine Forde, Joe Murphy and Brian Murphy will get time during the friendlies to impress.

I'm not too sure what else we need in defence. O'Shea and Kelly can play right back. Dunne, O'shea, Ledger and Clark can play centre and Ward and Clark can play left. Maybe, as there's no midfielders I'd play as defenders, I'd call up either a natural left or right back. Players like Foley, Cunningham or Kilbane, whose experience and versatility could be priceless in the tournament.

In the midfield I think I'd keep it pretty much the way Trap likes it. Andrews and Whelan and if we need a goal bring on Fahey. Perhaps for versatility I'd call up Coleman but I also think Hoolahan and Pilkington should get a look in.

I've always been a fan of 5 strikers in a tournament. I know some only bring 4 but 5 covers you. Best, Cox and Stokes could all be added to the squad.

Overall most players in the squad are quite versatile with only a few being stuck to one position. I think we'll be okay in terms of depth because of this. I reckon Trap has something similar to this already done and is just waiting to add the final 5,6,7 or whatever's left on his list. He'll be travelling all over England watching our lads in the new year that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

syngindub wrote: »
    Will Mr.Ireland try to wriggle his way into this?

why would he? he's made it pretty clear he has no intention of playing international football for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

1.Shay Given
    2.Sean St LEdger
    3.Stephen Ward
    4.John O'Shea
    5.Richard Dunne
    6.Glen Whelan
    7.Aidan McGeady
    8.Keith Andrews
    9.Kevin Doyle
    10.Robbie Keane
    11.Damien Duff
    12.Stephen Kelly
    13.James McCarthy
    14.Darren O'Dea
    15.Stephen Hunt
    16.Kieran Westwood
    17.Liam Lawerence
    18.Shane Long
    19.Jonathan Walters
    20.Simon Cox
    21.Keith Fahey
    22.Paddy Kenny
    23.Kevin Foley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

As long as McShane, Delaney, Green, Kilbane and Keogh don't get picked then I'll be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Dotrel wrote: »
    Here's the list of every player who was selected (either XI or bench for at least 1 game during the qualification campaign so far. I'm limiting my selection to them.

In the interest of simplicity and probably fairness I'd limit selection to players who actually did the work to get us there.

The number in brackets "( )" in the amount of onfield minutes they've put in during the campaign
    ===

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Shay Given (900)
    2. Keiren Westwood (90)
    3. David Forde (0)
    4. Joe Murphy (0)

DEFENDERS
    5. Richard Dunne (810)
    6. Sean St Ledger (720)
    7. John O'Shea (705)
    8. Kevin Kilbane (540)
    9. Stephen Kelly (375)
    10. Darren O'Dea (360)
    11. Stephen Ward (360)
    12. Kevin Foley (90)
    13. Ciaran Clarke (0)
    14. Damien Delaney (0)
    15. Greg Cunningham (0)
    16. Marc Wilson (0)
    17. Paul Mc Shane (0)

MIDFIELDERS
    18. Aidan Mc Geady (940)
    19. Glen Whelan (885)
    20. Keith Andrews (540)
    21. Damien Duff (485)
    22. Paul Green (312)
    23. Liam Lawrence (241)
    24. Darron Gibson (179)
    25. Keith Fahey (176)
    26. Steve Hunt (173)
    27. James Mc Carthy (3)
    28. Seamus Coleman (0)

FORWARDS
    29. Robbie Keane (892)
    30. Kevin Doyle (548)
    31. Shane Long (234)
    32. Simon Cox (208)
    33. Jon Walters (93)
    34. Andrew Keogh (31)
    35. Cilian Sheridan (0)

=====

Personally I'd prefer an 3-7-8-5 squad so I'd start just chopping names off from the bottom. The only exceptions are the case of Paul Green who has put in a large number of minutes but is generally useless, never should have been capped to begin with and seems to thankfully have disappeared off the radar for good anyway. Forde has made the bench three times and Murphy just once so he clearly gets the choice as third goalie. So that leaves you with a final squad of ......

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Shay Given (900)
    2. Keiren Westwood (90)
    3. David Forde (0)

DEFENDERS
    4. Richard Dunne (810)
    5. Sean St Ledger (720)
    6. John O'Shea (705)
    7. Kevin Kilbane (540)
    8. Stephen Kelly (375)
    9. Darren O'Dea (360)
    10. Stephen Ward (360)

MIDFIELDERS
    11. Aidan Mc Geady (940)
    12. Glen Whelan (885)
    13. Keith Andrews (540)
    14. Damien Duff (485)
    15. Liam Lawrence (241)
    16. Darron Gibson (179)
    17. Keith Fahey (176)
    18. Steve Hunt (173)

FORWARDS
    19. Robbie Keane (892)
    20. Kevin Doyle (548)
    21. Shane Long (234)
    22. Simon Cox (208)
    23. Jon Walters (93)

==

Whatever about james mcCarthy, Seamus Coleman is one of the most consistant performers in the Premier League which is exactly what Trap should want. How he doesn't start ahead of kelly I do not know :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement