Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will Ireland be fully metric?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Remember when the Austin Montego was released? Metric size tyres , 205/65/365 if I remember right. Pain in the backside, only Michelin made them, at great expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I'll be bidding for a nice young filly in guineas at the next Goffs sale despite what you proles say.

I'll be bidding for a nice young filly in guineas at the next Goffs sale despite what you proles say.

:D You don't have much choice!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Not to turn it political, but I always found it a little strange that Ireland didn't wholeheartedly adopt the Metric System much earlier on given how anti-Imperial we were!

It's sort of one of those symbols of all things British.

Likewise, we adopted the British enormous plug - complete with its amazing foot-stabbling abilities!

We could have started driving on the right, just to be annoying etc etc. The plus side is that it would have saved us a lot of money in terms of access to a much wider market of cars.

At times you'd wonder how we didn't go out and pick systems that were 'the best of the best' instead of just using British systems and painting them green and calling them something in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not to turn it political, but I always found it a little strange that Ireland didn't wholeheartedly adopt the Metric System much earlier on given how anti-Imperial we were!

It's sort of one of those symbols of all things British.

Likewise, we adopted the British enormous plug - complete with its amazing foot-stabbling abilities!

The BS 1363 is a sign of true civilization. No other plug design comes close.

The BS 1363 is a sign of true civilization. No other plug design comes close.

To its ability to stab you in the foot in the morning?
    Well, to be fair I suppose the Aussi / Chinese one is slightly worse. Upturned blade pins! Ouch!

It's still absolutely enormous though.

The modern continental system is extremely safe (sheathed pins or recessed sockets for heavier plugs) - carries more power (16A) and most importantly allows for smaller plugs for smaller appliances.

I don't really see too many Germans being electrocuted or having their plugs burst in to flames. They tend to develop pretty robust tech standards.

---

But, you'd think we'd have adopted the Metric system and metric money much earlier than we did.
    It didn't really make a lot of sense to continue with that extremely awkward mess of units for as long as we did.

Probably the best plugs/sockets ever used in this country were the old Bakelite round pin plugs, matched to the porcelain based round pin socket. Open one up if you find one and look at the quality of the internals, and the amount of metal used in the contact points. Try running a welder off a square pin plug and see how long they last before burning out the puny little spring contacts.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Probably the best plugs/sockets ever used in this country were the old Bakelite round pin plugs, matched to the porcelain based round pin socket. Open one up if you find one and look at the quality of the internals, and the amount of metal used in the contact points. Try running a welder off a square pin plug and see how long they last before burning out the puny little spring contacts.

Continental 'schuko' sockets are actually arguably safer than our BS1363 things certainly in terms of high loads anyway. The main reason being they've a recessed socket which means that they can use the contact surface of almost the entire pin to make a connection. The socket's sunk back into a hole which means as you're inserting the plug, the face of the plug sits into that recess and you cannot get your fingers anywhere near the pins.

They only plastic sheath the pins on the little 2.5amp moulded on flat plugs that you get on small appliances, because they're also used in Italy, Denmark and with other obsolete non-recessed sockets.

BS1363 only connects at the tip of the pins giving them very little contact area. This is because the plug wasn't recessed and they wanted to avoid having live pins as you inserted it. So it's a huge compromise to the design of it in terms of how it will get hot under load.

Also, the fuse in the plug is quite a flimsy setup and if the contacts on that aren't very tight, it can heat up causing the live pin and fuse contacts to get red hot.

That's why you often see sockets with a burnt live pin receptacle or plugs with burnt sides where they've been used with heavy heaters / heavy cooking appliances etc. Either a very slightly loose spring on the socket or, a loose fuse in the plug resulting in a red hot pin.

Also, continental plugs are 16amp which gives you up to 3680W vs 2990 with ours. Makes a huge difference for things like welders.

In reality, for those kinds of appliances in the absence of continental plugs, you should probably be using the huge industrial 16 amp "CEEform" / commando plugs i.e. the big blue yokes.

We had a lot of issues with heavy stage lighting and BS1363 plugs deciding to melt.

Also the internal fuse in the BS1363 plugs isn't there for extra safety really. It's there because the UK commonly uses 'ring circuits' (less common in Ireland.

A ring circuit is basically a copper-saving setup that was invented after WWII. They allow you to run the wiring around in a ring that is connected at both ends to the fuse / breaker. So, power is being fed from both ends of the circuit.

Then, they allow you to 'up rate' the cable which would normally be allowed to carry 20A max to 32A because the power's in theory being fed from the two ends.

Because the plug's connected to a 32A circuit instead of a 16-20A circuit, it needs local protection to prevent fire should there be a short circuit. Appliance cords aren't designed to cope with 32A and would possibly catch fire during a fault otherwise.

Also, there's a bit of an issue with the theory behind rings.

1) It assumes that the load is balanced along the ring. However, you get plenty of circumstances where all the heavy appliances (like in a kitchen) are at one end of the ring. That can cause overloading and potentially a fire risk and it's why rings are now banned in Irish kitchens in the wiring regs.

2) If anyone accidentally breaks the ring (adding a socket or whatever), the sockets will continue to work but the current carrying capacity of the wiring has been halved. That can result in fire risks.

The BS1363 system isn't all it's cracked up to be in many respects. It's just bulky!
    Safety shutters are also now common on continental sockets and required in many countries like France for example. They had been unique to BS1363 in the past.

Tomsh307 wrote: »
    They are only easier to visualise because you are used to them.

And younger people aren't actually used to them!

By younger I mean people under 40!

Older people had the imperial system beaten (often literally) into them in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm comfortable enough with both, although I tend to think in miles for road distances, and metric for nearly everything else. Although I do use the word "gallon" a fair bit as well. :D

Also, the fuse in the plug is quite a flimsy setup and if the contacts on that aren't very tight, it can heat up causing the live pin and fuse contacts to get red hot.

That's why you often see sockets with a burnt live pin receptacle or plugs with burnt sides where they've been used with heavy heaters / heavy cooking appliances etc. Either a very slightly loose spring on the socket or, a loose fuse in the plug resulting in a red hot pin.

Also, continental plugs are 16amp which gives you up to 3680W vs 2990 with ours. Makes a huge difference for things like welders.

In reality, for those kinds of appliances in the absence of continental plugs, you should probably be using the huge industrial 16 amp "CEEform" / commando plugs i.e. the big blue yokes.

Agree with you there, and this gives rise to all sorts of jerry rigging with the square pin plugs, involving bits of wire and even tin-foil.

Can you tell me if it is true that all German households have a 3 phase feed connected, though not necessarily used?

Can you tell me if it is true that all German households have a 3 phase feed connected, though not necessarily used?

Most continental countries tend to provide 3-phase to any installation that's beyond a small apartment in size where as we tend to provide larger single phase connections in Ireland and in the UK (And also France).

We tend to balance the load here by putting each house on a different phase. Where as many continental countries deliver full 3-phase power to every home once you go beyond a small load size.

Basically, you'd have 3-phase delivered to the distribution board (fuse box) but most circuits would only take 1 Phase + Neutral (i.e. 230V).

Some heavy appliances, especially cookers will often take full 3 phase power.
    (you'll see a lot of newer cookers sold here are often configurable for 3 phase)

The other side of it tough is that they usually have very strict laws about banning DIY work on distribution boards.

You'd often have full 3-phase sockets though in the garage or workshop type setups without any fuss.
    In modern installations the 3-phase sockets are also RCD protected, so they're relatively safe to work, even though you're getting 400V power.

From what I gather the logic is that they don't like individual circuits getting beyond 20 amps due to bulky wiring and fire risks so instead will tend to go for 3 phase.

---

I just think you get a lot of British (and Irish) commentators passing judgement on "European" systems based on some clapped out wiring in a a French holiday home that was last updated in the 1940s-50s.

There is some utterly scary wiring in use in both Ireland and Britain too thanks to the culture of allowing DIY work.
    The UK also had re-wirable mains fuses in use until relatively recently (still commonly found). You literally have to 'mend' the fuse by connecting fuse wire between two terminals. Really primitive stuff. I was pretty stunned when I had to change a fuse in London at how ancient the setup was!

Ireland normally used continental diazed fuses - the beer bottle style cartridges that you screw in.

RCDs are also only a very recent thing in the UK where as on the continent (and also here) they've been around for a long time now.

Most continental countries tend to provide 3-phase to any installation that's beyond a small apartment in size where as we tend to provide larger single phase connections in Ireland and in the UK (And also France).

We tend to balance the load here by putting each house on a different phase. Where as many continental countries deliver full 3-phase power to every home once you go beyond a small load size.

Basically, you'd have 3-phase delivered to the distribution board (fuse box) but most circuits would only take 1 Phase + Neutral (i.e. 230V).

Some heavy appliances, especially cookers will often take full 3 phase power.
    (you'll see a lot of newer cookers sold here are often configurable for 3 phase)

The other side of it tough is that they usually have very strict laws about banning DIY work on distribution boards.

You'd often have full 3-phase sockets though in the garage or workshop type setups without any fuss.
    In modern installations the 3-phase sockets are also RCD protected, so they're relatively safe to work, even though you're getting 400V power.

Thanks for the info SpaceTime.
    And I suppose therein lies the major difference in this country, and continental Europe. Forward planning and adherence to the rules and regs.

I remember the first time I was in France, and marvelling at the precast concrete electricity pylons, with "steps" precast, and large and highly visible "cut off" switches. Thinking "if that was in Ireland, you would have hoards of people climbing the poles trying to either connect to the system, or cutting off entire neighbour hoods.

Thanks for the info SpaceTime.
    And I suppose therein lies the major difference in this country, and continental Europe. Forward planning and adherence to the rules and regs.

I remember the first time I was in France, and marvelling at the precast concrete electricity pylons, with "steps" precast, and large and highly visible "cut off" switches. Thinking "if that was in Ireland, you would have hoards of people climbing the poles trying to either connect to the system, or cutting off entire neighbour hoods.

Those switches don't cut off anything :) They only reset the breaker in the event of lightening storms taking out the power and they're only supposed to be accessed by authorised EDF officials.

They're largely replaced with automatic resetting stuff and remote monitored SCADA systems much like here. Ireland never had to deal with regular violent lightening storms in summer like rural France would have had to.

It's also normal that every household has to have lightening protection built into the circuit board.

Believe me, the French are every bit as (if not much more prone) to acts of vandalism than the 'scumbags' that roam around here are.

Things get covered in graffiti much more readily too! I've seen entire TGVs 100% covered in graffiti.

Handiest one though in France and elsewhere in Europe is that socket/switch wall boxes are round.

If you want to install a new socket, you get a standardised core drill bit on your drill. Drill a hole in the wall - slot in the back box and voila 2 mins later you've a socket installed vs having to hack out the plaster to get the British/Irish style square boxes in!

Those switches don't cut off anything :) They only reset the breaker in the event of lightening storms taking out the power and they're only supposed to be accessed by authorised EDF officials.

They're largely replaced with automatic resetting stuff and remote monitored SCADA systems much like here. Ireland never had to deal with regular violent lightening storms in summer like rural France would have had to.

It's also normal that every household has to have lightening protection built into the circuit board.

Believe me, the French are every bit as (if not much more prone) to acts of vandalism than the 'scumbags' that roam around here are.

Handiest one though in France and elsewhere in Europe is that socket/switch wall boxes are round.

If you want to install a new socket, you get a standardised core drill bit on your drill. Drill a hole in the wall - slot in the back box and voila 2 mins later you've a socket installed vs having to hack out the plaster to get the British/Irish style square boxes in!

Thanks SpaceTime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I was watching operation transformation last night and when they brought all the leaders up to be weighed, the girl rattles off a heap of stone and pounds and I realized I hadn't a clue what she was saying. one of them lost two pounds...is that a lot? no idea. just a sign of the way things are going i guess.

Things like a pint will hang around simply because it's easier to say and maybe industry specific weights like for baking.

Same with miles, it's easier to say even though the signs are in Kilometers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

It's all the EU's fault. Give them an inch....

Younger people still think in feet and inches so of course its harder to visualise centimetres.

Only when it comes to body height etc
    None ever learnt to deal with feet and inches.

I wouldn't even think many under 30 even know how may inches are in a foot or what a yard is exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think of kilos when weighing stuff - ounces and stones and cups etc confuse me.

But for some reason I always forget my height in metric :confused:

An irritation of mine is when there is a hot spell and the papers are like "oooh it going to be 80 degrees Fahrenheit today!" just to make it sound hotter than it is. Look, it's nice and warm, but just say it's 26 degrees!

Try it today : ask someone under 40 how many inches are in a yard and I can assure you very few can answer!

Or even how many lbs in a stone.

They use a couple of figures to describe their own height / weight etc and for anything practical they're actually metric.

I saw someone attempting to use Feet & CM in a DIY store recently for example!

He was looking for 8ft19 of wood!

• Advertisement

Im 29 and there are 36 inches in a yard and 14lbs in a stone.

You're interested enough to comment on a thread about the metric system though so you're not 'typical'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Plumbing here in Austria uses a mix of metric and inches for pipes and fittings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Feisar

Dad and I were studding out the upstairs of the house after Mum (Da Boss) decided the whole upstairs had to be redesigned.

I was measuring at 1200 centers to fix the timber studs, que Dad looking at me like I had two heads and off he goes in 4 foot centers. I had a little smile to myself as boards are 1200mm and 4 foot is 1220mm so we were going to run off. Some effing done that day! And he twigged that I knew, I work in construction and drywall specifically at the time. But sure what would an office boy know.

That'll teach him for teaching me convert kilometers into miles when I was younger!

First they came for the socialists...

Dads can't work with offspring on DIY without trying to prove you wrong and insist that you're holding that screwdriver the wrong way.

That's just the natural order of things and the origin of the word 'patronising'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Feisar

Dads can't work with offspring on DIY without trying to prove you wrong and insist that you're holding that screwdriver the wrong way.

That's just the natural order of things and the origin of the word 'patronising'.

So true, when I suggest something you can almost see him about to say :confused: and then it dawns on him that it might be a great idea!

First they came for the socialists...

They are only easier to visualise because you are used to them.

Easier to visualise because, for instance, a foot roughly the size of your foot and a yard is roughly and big step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

We also need to move to a metric and/or decimal time system(also known as French Revolutionary Time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

We also need to move to a metric and/or decimal time system(also known as French Revolutionary Time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

The French gave up on that a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Do you mean this could be the end of the Quarter Pounder....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I still use pint when I order a drink in the pub and I still talk about a person's height in feet and inches.

Everything else I think I use metric: Celcius for temperature, kilometres for distance, km/h for speed, ml and litres for most liquids, and grammes and kilogrammes for weight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Computer monitors, phone screens and tablets are always measured in inches in France but televisions are measured in cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The French invented the metric system over two hundred years ago and still haven't fully adopted it. If I didn't have my own trees to burn, I'd be buying wood by the corde and stère, the locals measure distance in bornes, drink by the coup and think of prices in ... anciens francs (i.e. the ones they had before the ones they had before the euro :eek:

Those later ones are still around - my son recently opened a new bank a/c for his uni grant money and was gobsmacked when he saw his opening balance - 21,000-ish :cool: He wasn't so impressed when he saw that that was francs. He doesn't remember ever seeing one in real life so WTF are they doing on his online bank account?

All things considered, Ireland's doing ok really.

You can measure them in anything you want really!
    It's just convention.

Inches are meaningless to your average French person, so you might as well be measuring your TV in cubits. They'd have no idea what size that was relative to their living room or whatever without cm.

They're marked up in cm and inches in most European countries, not just France.
    Germany : http://www.mediamarkt.de/mcs/productlist/3D-TVs,48353,460667.html?langId=-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm constantly being supplied with imperial units by American clients.

Seems trivial to plenty but, you know, walk a mile in my shoes....

A meter is roughly a big step and a centimeter is roughly the width of a finger tip.

And people's feet vary enormously in size so I'd be a bit loathed to measure with my feet as a 'foot' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

ScumLord wrote: »
    They still use feet and inches in the building industry, it's probably just easier to say 8ft rather than 243.84cm, or 16" instead of 40.64cm. Just about everything in the home from ceiling heights, to door widths, to the distance between the joists in your attic are in inches.

Mine are in meters, centimeters and millimeters as I measured them and have the measurements written down to prove it.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Mine are in meters, centimeters and millimeters as I measured them and have the measurements written down to prove it.

Yeah, same here my doors are all exactly 2m
    House was built in 1976.

They don't still use feet and inches in the building industry.
    They only use it in the auctioneering industry for describing room sizes. Only building items that are strongly imperial are plumbing fittings.

Architects and engineers don't use awkward units because it makes doing calculations and moving things around a pain in the rear.

Using metric sizing also opens up a vast array of products to you from the continent that would otherwise not be very easily incorporated into designs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Working in electrical engineering makes me above such debates. Voltage and current is the same everywhere. I would like to go to the US for a few years but refuse to accept fahrenheit. Ill use gallons, inches and miles but fahrenheit can go **** itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Working in electrical engineering makes me above such debates. Voltage and current is the same everywhere. I would like to go to the US for a few years but refuse to accept fahrenheit. Ill use gallons, inches and miles but fahrenheit can go **** itself.

Ah, Fahrenheit. The one unit that utterly baffles me! :D

• Advertisement

They're *AMERICAN* volts! Each time you see one you have to sing the star spangled banner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

No. No they are not and haven't been for quite a while.

Dont spout nonsense when you've obviously never seen a set of plans in your life.

21 years in the trades and I've NEVER seen a set of plans in feet and inches.

Because half everything is in the metric equivalent. We build to imperial but measure in metric. If we stopped doing that overnight then everything new would look very wrong to the eye.

Because half everything is in the metric equivalent. We build to imperial but measure in metric. If we stopped doing that overnight then everything new would look very wrong to the eye.

Yeah, central Paris looks awful and totally off to the eye. (to be read in sarcastic tone)

All the eye (brain) cares about is symmetry and the golden ratio. It has no concept of feet/inches or cm/mm.
    Half the time it gets confused about scale anyway.

US gallons aren't the same as UK gallons:Gallon
    Niether are fluid ounces nor are pints(568 mL here vs 473 mL in the US)

I am going to weigh myself tonight to fix kilos in my head.

US gallons aren't the same as UK gallons:Gallon
    Niether are fluid ounces nor are pints(568 mL here vs 473 mL in the US)

I am going to weigh myself tonight to fix kilos in my head.

Simple way of thinking about it:

1 litre of water weighs 1kg.

So, a litre of milk = 1kg (tiny difference due to suspended fats and solids, but irrelevant really)

Most of us have a sense of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... There's a pub 4 furlongs down the road....
    Have all families named Furlong had their names changed to eh, well something-something metric.

Lemme see, divide by 8, multiply by 5, add the VAT, carry the 6 ......... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The French invented the metric system over two hundred years ago and still haven't fully adopted it. If I didn't have my own trees to burn, I'd be buying wood by the corde and stère, the locals measure distance in bornes, drink by the coup and think of prices in ... anciens francs (i.e. the ones they had before the ones they had before the euro :eek:

Those later ones are still around - my son recently opened a new bank a/c for his uni grant money and was gobsmacked when he saw his opening balance - 21,000-ish :cool: He wasn't so impressed when he saw that that was francs. He doesn't remember ever seeing one in real life so WTF are they doing on his online bank account?

All things considered, Ireland's doing ok really.

Cordes (3m cubed), stères (1m cubed) and anciens francs (100 centimes) are all metric though and borne (measuring post) is another word for kilometre.

Is there anything restricting a newly opened pub (for example) selling half liters rather than pints?
    Assuming they were clear about the measures on sale and the price reflected the size and all that.

Which is why 1000 litre IBC's are so handy for liquids. They weigh 1000kg, or a Metric Ton.

When I go over 100kg, I know it's time to get back on the bike.... :)

I am always impressed by the way the French still insist on having the Franc equilivant still on all price tags. Don't know if they're are preserving their past, giving two fingers to Germany, or just being prepared for the fall of the euro!

mathepac wrote: »
    Have all families named Furlong had their names changed to eh, well something-something metric.

Lemme see, divide by 8, multiply by 5, add the VAT, carry the 6 ......... :eek:

The Duohectometres

Hectometer = 100 meteres .. Furlong = about 201 meters.. so ...

Is there anything restricting a newly opened pub (for example) selling half liters rather than pints?
    Assuming they were clear about the measures on sale and the price reflected the size and all that.

Oh there'd be chaos with horses eating horses and everything like that time we changed to km/h for speed limits.

Oh right, yeah .. nothing happened and we all got on grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement