Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Questions

• 11-04-2006 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if ye could help me with a few questions about Macs. Ive never used one before so Im not sure if the same rules apply as a PC but I was just wondering why Mac's dont have surround sound audio chipsets on them like most PC motherboards have at the moment?

Also I presume drives that are used in Mac's are different from drives used in PC's?

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"Drives"? Do you mean as in the hardware, or the assaignment scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i presume he means drivers??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The drives are prettymuch the same, IE HD and optical. Ive been switching drives in Mac computers for years, as have many others.

Not sure why they dont ship with ship with 5.1 audio. I guess there hasnt been a demand for it. Most audio production done would be done with an external soundcard anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

I mean HDD - I got a 400GB IDE drive there recently and it just set me thinking. Im so close to buying a Mac Mini because my Windoze has once again gone tits up on me! Is there a Mac equivalent of Ghost thats freeware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

"Ghost" for mac:

carbon cloner

partimage

You can also create images with "disk utility" but it can be hit and miss.

Bear in mind that the HD in the Mini is a 2.5" laptop drive. You will have to connect your 400Gb via firewire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Sweet - thanks a million Souper. Im now seriously considering getting a Mac-Mini with dual core. The only problem now is where to put everything.

Advertisement