Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rape oil - bitter?

Options
  • 09-05-2015 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I got some Irish rape oil and it's fine for frying, but when I used it for mayonnaise it was quite bitter and sour. Is this normal? I haven't used it to make mayo before.

(By the way, mods, is it odd that gardening is under Home and Garden, but cooking is under Recreation and Hobbies?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think Rapeseed oil is suitable for making mayonnaise, its quite strongly flavoured.
    I stopped buying Rapeseed oil after I found out that it is harvested by spraying with herbicide to kill the plant and dessicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

yes it's sprayed to desiccate it but it doesn't require the spraying of pesticides throughout the growing of the crop. If the meal is good enough for the coolmore horses the oil is good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I thought rapeseed oil is flavourless? I've certainly used it in making mayo/dressing and I've never found it bitter.

Edit: Actually it wasn't Irish rapeseed oil that I used. Boink.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

I also use rapeseed oil for certain things exactly because it has a less intense flavour than for example olive oil...? Having said that though I've recently bought an Irish cold pressed rapeseed oil for the first time and noticed that it has a very distinctive smell when I use it for frying that I never noticed with any other rapeseed oil before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This oil is organic, and I think is also cold pressed, though after a long day's gardening I'm not going down to check!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

I used a popular Irish brand of rapeseed oil for frying but noticed a very bitter taste from a recent bottle. I emailed the company to say it had spoiled the food I'd cooked in it. They asked me to send them on the batch number on the bottle as they always keep some back for quality control. So I did and their eventual response was along the lines of -- we tested the oil etc.. and while there is nothing wrong with the the batch you bought etc... we agree the aroma is quite strong. They sent me me 25 quid of vouchers for their products. I haven't bought rapeseed oil since because frankly it tasted rank that time and turned me off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't think Rapeseed oil is suitable for making mayonnaise, its quite strongly flavoured.
    I stopped buying Rapeseed oil after I found out that it is harvested by spraying with herbicide to kill the plant and dessicate it.

That pratice is just down in Kerry I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Only brought rapeseed oil once but never again simply because of the strong after taste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Even if you have a tasteless oil, blitzing any oil in a blender or with a hand blender for mayo and the likes, will turn it bitter. The head from the fast blender head turns oil sour. A trick is to throw an ice cube into the mayo while mixing it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Flood wrote: »
    That pratice is just down in Kerry I presume?
    European wide I am afraid.

• Advertisement

Even if you have a tasteless oil, blitzing any oil in a blender or with a hand blender for mayo and the likes, will turn it bitter. The head from the fast blender head turns oil sour. A trick is to throw an ice cube into the mayo while mixing it

Head should be heat, I assume?

Interesting point; I'll give it a try with a hand whipper and see if it's still sour.

Head should be heat, I assume?

Interesting point; I'll give it a try with a hand whipper and see if it's still sour.

Yep sorry. Writing from my phone. Hand whipper will help defo but an ice cube half way through blending will also help...We do It all the time in the kitchen and make 20 litres of aoli everyday

Yep sorry. Writing from my phone. Hand whipper will help defo but an ice cube half way through blending will also help...We do It all the time in the kitchen and make 20 litres of aoli everyday

Jesus, you're greedy!

Also, thanks!

Jesus, you're greedy!

Also, thanks!
    Its my customers who are greedy.

Bone Marrow Aoli... The king.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,099 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bone Marrow Aoli... The king.
    Recipe please

Advertisement