Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newlands Cross Roadworks last night

• 24-05-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

So...what genius came up with the brilliant idea of having all the lanes merge into just one (yes one!) last night when 80,000 people were attending the one direction concert.

I was coming home from work at 1am and it was mayhem. Traffic backed up to the LongmileRroad. It took over an hour to get through the junction at that time of night!

I had a look at their website which does advise of major changes and restrictions last night and tonight but jesus people, you couldn't have waited til Monday? 250,000 will be attending those concerts over this weekend. Add in yesterdays elections and all the people/logistics involved in that.

Well done to whomever made that decision. Coordination at it's finest. Can't wait to see what stunt you pull for the week of the Garth Brooks concerts or the Bloom festival.

Rant over....:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Unbelievable, but not as unbelievable as 80000 people wanting to see One Direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

True! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lucyn wrote: »
    I was coming home from work at 1am and it was mayhem. Traffic backed up to the LongmileRroad. It took over an hour to get through the junction at that time of night!

No worse than rush hour on any given weekday :)

No worse than rush hour on any given weekday :)

It was 1am!!! I only joined it coming off the M50 and it took that long but my colleague was backed up to the long mile road and he said it took him twice as long as me.

So yes, it was much worse than any given weekday, even a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was 1am!!! I only joined it coming off the M50 and it took that long but my colleague was backed up to the long mile road and he said it took him twice as long as me.

So yes, it was much worse than any given weekday, even a Friday.

Infrastructure projects like this do a lot of the heavier disruption work at weekends and nighttime. Do it at the weekend and it's the equivalent of up to 2 weeks of daytime work. Next weekend is a public holiday weekend, should they do it then? Or another weekend?

The longer it's held back, the longer the hold ups are for daily traffic flows and regular commuters. Given the choice, it's the lesser of two evils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

These works are a necessity and long overdue. The plans for them have been in the pipeline probably longer than One Direction have been together.
    On an All Ireland Sunday, before any of the roadworks started, traffic would still be backed up for a couple of km trying to get through Newlands junction. Its always been a disastrous junction.

My point, which seems to be totally lost on some people is "coordination". If every project and event in the country was allowed to occur independently, things would grind to a halt. I never said this project isn't badly needed or long overdue. Read my initial post. Coordination is what's required!

Also the world does not revolve from 9-5 mon-fri. Plenty of people work shift work. Why should they be more inconvenienced than the precious 9-5 mon-fri crowd?

I was hoping for constructive comments from other people who were also caught up in the traffic mismanagement last night not hurlers in the ditch who were not even there and are pure speculating.

Signing off now as I'm starting work again. Along with thousands of others not fortunate enough to have cushy 9-5 jobs with every weekend off.

Infrastructure projects like this do a lot of the heavier disruption work at weekends and nighttime. Do it at the weekend and it's the equivalent of up to 2 weeks of daytime work. Next weekend is a public holiday weekend, should they do it then? Or another weekend?

The longer it's held back, the longer the hold ups are for daily traffic flows and regular commuters. Given the choice, it's the lesser of two evils.

Yes! A public holiday weekend is generally very quiet in Dublin (unless there is a specific event on). That's the ideal time to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

They were replacing a water main that has ruptured countless times causing chaos over the last few weeks.Friday night was probably the least disruptive time to do so,even if it disrupted a few poor concert goers!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes! A public holiday weekend is generally very quiet in Dublin (unless there is a specific event on). That's the ideal time to do it.

http://bloominthepark.com/

Bloom causes a crazy amount of traffic.

Also on is Forbidden Fruit, and Women's Mini Marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

From reading the N7 updates page it looks like they were making changes to the road layout on Friday and Saturday night, which is possibly why traffic was reduced to one lane. It doesn't seem to make much sense to have done this work on two of the busiest nights for outbound traffic on the N7.
    monument wrote: »
    http://bloominthepark.com/

Bloom causes a crazy amount of traffic.

Bloom closes at 6pm, would imagine most of the traffic would be gone well before 10pm
    Also on is Forbidden Fruit, and Women's Mini Marathon.

Forbidden Fruit would have a fraction of the crowd of One Direction and Mini Marathon is usually over by late afternoon.

So while overnight is the best time to do these works, some co-ordination wouldn't go a miss. I know some people who weren't even at the gig and it took them over 2 hours to get from Dublin to Newbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Agree with all you said op but you just got a really bad night to drive home with everything that was on and it just never got time to settle down that evening.

Link to Irish Indo's report on the evenings gridlock

Advertisement