Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Licence - Change of address

• 18-05-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I don't know where my question is best suited so mods, move it if you have to.
    I have a full driving licence and the address on it is my old address.
    I'm living somwhere else for the past two years, in a different county.

Do you have to send your licence back in to have the address changed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't know where my question is best suited so mods, move it if you have to.
    I have a full driving licence and the address on it is my old address.
    I'm living somwhere else for the past two years, in a different county.

Do you have to send your licence back in to have the address changed?

Looking at the NDLS website, it seems that you do. It looks like its free of charge.
    http://www.ndls.ie/en/Driving-Licence/lost-or-stolen-licence.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm also in the very same boat,

You can print the form online, and take it to your local NDLS centre (they actually have a smartphone app that will direct you to your nearest centre).

You just need proof of PPS, new address, and your old licence and they'll change it for you free of charge.

The question is though, how long will it take, as we all know we must have our licence with us at all times while driving!! so it's a catch 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'm also in the very same boat,

You can print the form online, and take it to your local NDLS centre (they actually have a smartphone app that will direct you to your nearest centre).

You just need proof of PPS, new address, and your old licence and they'll change it for you free of charge.

The question is though, how long will it take, as we all know we must have our licence with us at all times while driving!! so it's a catch 22

Once you have gone to the NDLS centre for a new licence and all is in order, you will get a receipt from them. It will cover you in the event of you being stopped during the 3-4 weeks it takes for a new licence to be issued to you.

Once you have gone to the NDLS centre for a new licence and all is in order, you will get a receipt from them. It will cover you in the event of you being stopped during the 3-4 weeks it takes for a new licence to be issued to you.

Thanks,

Would this receipt be sufficient to get a rental car?
    I rent cars a lot with my job, and while not required in the U.K. due to being in loyalty clubs etc..
    In Ireland, they usually always want to see your licence (99.99% of the time anyway, I think I might have blagged it once).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Thanks,

Would this receipt be sufficient to get a rental car?
    I rent cars a lot with my job, and while not required in the U.K. due to being in loyalty clubs etc..
    In Ireland, they usually always want to see your licence (99.99% of the time anyway, I think I might have blagged it once).

I doubt it but you can only ask; would you rent a car to a man with a receipt? :)

• Advertisement

I doubt it but you can only ask; would you rent a car to a man with a receipt? :)

If he's previously rented from me on numerous occasions, possibly,

I'll give it a go.

2 years ago when I renewed, it only took about 10 days, so I might chance it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't think you can change your address to a different country though can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If he's previously rented from me on numerous occasions, possibly,

I'll give it a go.

2 years ago when I renewed, it only took about 10 days, so I might chance it!

Got my new licence in post Wednesday, they said it would take 2 weeks to come out, took 8 working days so not so bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Alun wrote: »
    I don't think you can change your address to a different country though can you?

No.

One of the requirements of holding a licence in most countries is that you live in the country.

So if you move to a different one, you need to go through the license trade-in procedure in the new country, whatever that might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of the requirements of holding a licence in most countries is that you live in the country.

So if you move to a different one, you need to go through the license trade-in procedure in the new country, whatever that might be.

Within the EU plus a few other countries you may continue to use your old licence until it expires at which point you must exchange it. There is no obligation to change the address to your new county of residence, not that it's even possible to do so. You can swap your licence for one in your new country of residence before your old one expires, but you're under no obligation to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement