Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to the UK

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Does anyone have any experience of communting to the UK on a weekly basis, we are moving to Galway/Mayo boards and I may need to consider this for while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What part of the UK? Are there flights to knock Airport? I think you're mad doing it. Depending on where in the UK you're talking at least an hour flight an hour check in and god knows how long commuting to/from airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 norwegian fjord

I agree its madness but may not have much choice due to employment, just thought it would be helpful to see if anyone has experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd say Knock airport is your best bet, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

A person i know does this and it's tough going, even Dublin to London. Sleeps most of the weekend when home.
    I suppose a lot of it depends on many things, such as:
    Where in the UK is the job and how close is the Job from the airport? Likewise how far are you from an airport in Ireland?
    Does each airport have flights at times that suit your commute?
    Do you need to start at 9am on Monday or can you travel on Monday and leave early on Fridays? Is your employer flexible with your situation?
    Is the job well paid enough to pay for your flights and digs in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I know / know-of some people who've done it. Tough, but not impossible. And as you say, sometimes the only option.

Is there any chance of one or two days a week working from home? Even one can get you out of commuting during the busier prime commuting times (Sun PM / Mon AM and Fri PM)/ If you can get this, then you might also need to check the quality of broadband where you're going to be located.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your posts, it is certainly feasible on paper, with the wide variety of filghts/airports to and from the UK. I am self employed but take short term contracts, I would try and get a part time contract or extended hours over a shorter week. Thought it might be worth trying to get some advice from people who had done it as we all know what works on paper can be very different in reality. It would hopefully only be for the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've worked with plenty of people who've done it the other way - commuting from London to work in Dublin during the week.

The vast majority work 3/4 days in Dublin and 1 or 2 in London. Their Dublin days are also compressed, meaning they get a slightly later flight on Monday am and an early-ish flight back on Thursday and work long days Tuesday/Wednesday. I don't know that the flight options are there in Knock to allow this.

It seems fairly tiring, although with experience the amount of waiting around airports is minimal as you eventually get everything timed to the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume you mean Britain and not just Fermanagh?

Yes I mean Britain, I have been exploring NI and this is also a possibility as would be easier with no flights to worry about but the pay rates are significantly lower so need to work it out financially. Also in Britain the contracts on offer are a minimum 3 month in NI they are only for 4 wks. Not ruled it out though, need to explore all my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Knocks flights are not at great times for business flights.

You could do it easily as you will get everything down to perfect timing after a while.

I did it for a while.

Monday morning flight into LHR from Dublin hope onto Tube and in work by 9ish. ( Work was in west London so alot easier to get to)

Id work 10 hour day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Take a half day on Thursday and get a 4pm flight home land about 6pm and a hour drive home from Dublin airport.

Make sure you live close to your airports, The same in London use the one closest to you. It might be worth paying more for time saving, Ie pay for car parking at Dublin over public transport to the airport, fly into LHR if it is close to work. Use the express to Gatwick etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement